Science Interviews

Interview

Mon, 27th Jun 2016

Myth: Chewing gum sticks inside you

Kat Arney, Naked Scientists

Listen Now    Download as mp3 from the show Science meets MasterChef!

This week Katís been getting her teeth into a sticky subject for her Bubble gummythconception...

Kat:: Are you a fan of chewing gum? I love the stuff and get through several boxes of peppermint gum every week. But Iím always careful to dispose of it carefully in the bin, and never swallow it, because Iíve heard the stories that it can stay in your gut for up to seven years. It certainly persists on pavements, desks and pretty much everywhere else people without good gum etiquette care to stick it. Flagrantly disregarding this advice, Naked Scientist Georgiaís sister apparently swallowed a meter-long stick of chewing gum when she was six. So was it still working its way through her system when she hit her teenage years?

Well, luckily for Georgiaís sister - and presumably her panicked parents - this is a myth. So whatís the real story?

As the name suggests, chewing gum is designed to resist being broken down by the normal processes by which we digest our food - the first one of these being chewing. Because itís made of a base containing stretchy polymers, resins and other non-digestible components, chewing gum doesnít break down no matter how hard we mash it in our mouths. So itís pretty sturdy stuff. Itís also resistant to the strongly acidic conditions in the stomach, passing through into the intestines in the same state it came in.

But once it gets there, it continues on its journey back to the outside world in the same way as the rest of our food, although possibly a bit slower than might be expected. In fact, gastroenterologists say that although they can sometimes see evidence of gum in peopleís guts when theyíre having a look in there, thereís nothing that looks like itís more than a week old. This isnít unexpected - itís exactly the same for other non-food objects that get accidentally swallowed, including small coins or plastic toys, and even false teeth that mistakenly go down a grown-upís guts. We do swallow undigestible objects from time to time, especially kids, and unless theyíre particularly big or magnetic or batteries, nature usually takes its course and theyíll eventually come out the other end.

There are a couple of reasons that the myth around chewing gumís longevity in the gut has sprung up. For a start, itís clearly not food - it doesnít break down in our mouths like normal chow, so we think we shouldnít swallow it. Then there are some published case studies, like the children who swallowed chewing gum every day for several years, and ended up having to have a large toffee-like trails of the stuff surgically removed from their intestines. Even more concerningly, in some cases the gum had collected other solid swallowed objects, such as coins or sunflowers seeds, adding to the problem. So itís still much better to spit rather than swallow your gum, especially if youíre a daily chewer.

However, there are a few things that are hard to swallow. Pairs of magnets can pinch bits of the intestines together, leading to major problems, and itís also very bad to swallow batteries. And thereís also an indigestible substance that does hang around in the guts for a long time, and thatís hair. People with a compulsion to pull out and eat their own hair can end up with Rapunzel syndrome - a large hairball, known as a bezoar, trapped in their intestine that needs to be surgically removed. So thatís definitely not a good idea. But humans have chewed gum - or at least stretchy tree resin and other indigestible plant matter, or even tar - for thousands of years. And although itís not a good idea to swallow it day after day, the occasional accidental swallow wonít leave you with an unwanted intestinal visitor for years on end.




Multimedia

Subscribe Free

Related Content

Comments

Make a comment

See the whole discussion | Make a comment

Not working please enable javascript
EPSRC
Powered by UKfast
STFC
Genetics Society
ipDTL