On the Lighter Side > Complementary Medicine

vitamin suppliments

<< < (3/12) > >>

GBSB:

--- Quote from: paul.fr on 28/03/2007 01:00:19 ---
 what if he had recently been visited by a friendly female drug company sales rep with nice legs and a low cut top, who bought some nice stationary, pizza, etc a

--- End quote ---

I know what you mean paul.fr.
It happens to me every day. And I am not even a doctor. [;D]

Ahaaa! That’s explaining everything. (Klaus Kinski as Doctor Zuckerbrot-in “Buddy Buddy”)

paul.fr:

--- Quote from: GBSB on 28/03/2007 15:38:36 ---
--- Quote from: paul.fr on 28/03/2007 01:00:19 ---
 what if he had recently been visited by a friendly female drug company sales rep with nice legs and a low cut top, who bought some nice stationary, pizza, etc a

--- End quote ---

I know what you mean paul.fr.
It happens to me every day. And I am not even a doctor. [;D]

Ahaaa! That’s explaining everything. (Klaus Kinski as Doctor Zuckerbrot-in “Buddy Buddy”)

--- End quote ---

yes, those "big issue" sellers realy know how to generate custom!

iko:

--- Quote ---there are always offers on, buy one get one free, three for the prioce of two, i feel sure people buy the extra ones thinking they need then and wow they are also at a bargain price.
paul.fr
--- End quote ---

Let's forget about marketing for a minute...it is certainly a minor problem ( [;D])

When would you buy a good brand multivitamin for your child?

I think I would when he refuses to eat properly or is not eating at all after a flu or is actually burning so much food doing competitive athletics, gymn, swimming and her/his diet cannot be controlled properly.
And still I would only think that I am doing my best to support a child's growth and health, just a bit of help as far as I know.

When would you give cod liver oil to your child?

This is another story.  We should start giving 'cod' to pregnant and breastfeeding women to have more clever children, if those amazing Nowegian data had been confirmed...and after that?
I would recommend it as a nutritional support for kids who cannot tan properly in the fall/winter seasons, in those months with the 'r' (from Sept. to April) when we live in a northern country. But this is a much longer story as all of you know.

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=4987.0
Generally speaking, knowing that many people tend to have the strangest diets, is it better to let everybody have a multivitamin each day (they pay for it!) or tell them not to, then wait and see if anybody develops a specific deficiency that most of the times is diagnosed late or never?

This discussion will go on for ages.

ikod

P.S.  Sorry, I almost forgot that we actually live on the Planet Earth.
Most of the kids suffer from starvation here: they are craving for cofactors and vitamins that could make the difference between life and death (e.g. Vitamin A and zinc for malaria).

another_someone:
http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/nutrition/factsheets/copper.html

--- Quote ---Although severe copper deficiency is rarely observed, marginal copper status is not uncommon. High dose supplements of zinc, vitamin C, and iron are contributing causes of marginal copper deficiency. Microcytic hypochromic anemia in the presence of normal serum ferritin is the primary clinical feature of marginal copper deficiency. This anemia, which is hematologically identical to iron-deficiency anemia, develops as a result of abnormalities in iron utilization. Skeletal abnormalities, reproductive difficulties, impaired nervous tissue function, and changes in hair and skin pigmentation have been observed in severe copper deficiency. A role for copper in the maintenance of bone mass has been determined from observations of osteoporosis in preterm infants born with inadequate copper reserves.

--- End quote ---

iko:

--- Quote ---High dose supplements of zinc, vitamin C, and iron are contributing causes of marginal copper deficiency
--- End quote ---

Hi George,
I think we are talking about moderate/normal dose supplements that, at worst lead to vitamin enrichment of our urine.  No megadoses, we already discussed that in the case of vitamin D from cod liver oil: a little bit may do a miracle, a bit more may be dangerous in many cases.

As I mentioned in a previous vitamin topic, putting together all the vitamins and minerals as 'supplements' or 'anti-oxidants' is too vague and leads to confusion and no conclusive result, even in a discussion.
We should  try to be more specific.
Quality of available products could be a matter of concern: I cited somewhere (cod topic?) the recent finding that the cheaper veggie-derived vitamin D2 is 25% effective compared with the more expensive vitamin D3.  They had been considered equivalent for decades!  The lack of results in preventing fall-fractures in the elderly led to this great 'discovery'...but the initial conclusions where that vitamin D was useless as a whole.
I was very disappointed then, having given 'cod' for years to my mum to prevent osteoporosis! Now everything is sound again and hopefully she is doing fine not only for a 'placebo' effect.

ikod

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.

[0] Board index