On the Lighter Side > Complementary Medicine

What is the treatment for molluscum contagiosum?

(1/89) > >>

bezoar:
Have a grandson with molluscum, which I am told is a form of pox virus.  Currently, he's being treated with some caustic chemical by the dermatologist.  Is there any alternative treatment?  Any truth to the use of duct tape with warts, and would that help?

Bezoar

chris:
That's right, molluscum contagiosum is a pox virus and hence a relative of smallpox as well as vaccinia, which is used as the smallpox vaccine.

Molluscum is acquired by close personal contact with another infectious individual, including sexually, and may occasionally be spread by fomites ('things' capable of conveying infection).

The lesions are about 5 mm across, are raised with a central depression, and have a coppery hue. They may be single or multiple. Seen in cross section they are cup-shaped and consist of huge overgrowth of the skin cells (initiated by the virus to make them more permissive for viral replication) which are crammed with infectious virus. The lesions are infectious, and prodding them can encourage the expression of a caseous virus-laden cell debris.

The lesions themselves are usually painless but may become secondarily infected by bacteria if they are traumatised (e.g. by picking), and can persist for anything from a few months to a few years.

There is no cure nor surefire way to prevent re-infection (excepting never touching another living sole). However, they may be treated with desquamative agents which push up skin turnover and essentially push the virus out. Cryotherapy (nitrogen freezing) is a common treatment. Duct tape probably works the same way, but I doubt there's much in the literature about that !

chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

bezoar:
He's just about cleared now, but I guess I could try to duct tape on the few remaining lesions, just for the sake of science.  The dermatologist tells me that adults acquire an immunity to molluscum and it is rare in adults unless they are immunocompromised.

Bezoar

tweener:
I don't know anything about molluscum, but duct tape on warts is very frustrating.  I've got a plantars wart on my foot that I've been trying to get rid of for two years.  I've had it frozen twice, used duct tape for a full year, and tried some of the salycilic acid otc treatments.  It gets smaller to a point, then just sits.

Any wart cures would be welcome!

----
John

roberth:
While I don't want to gross everyone out, my father told me many years ago that urine will cure warts. He learned it while in the army. I, of course, didn't believe him until I tried it on a couple of warts that I'd had for some time. Urine in healthy humans is sterile when delivered, easily accessable and readily available. Dab it on once or twice over a couple of days and the wart will fall off within a week. I prefer to use my own, but I guess it's up to the individual. It works!
Urine also helps reduce scarring when applied to a burn, and adds a whole new dimension to the phrase "I wouldn't p!ss on him if he was on fire".
Someone with more chemistry experience may be able to give the reasons for these properties, because I can't.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version