Non Life Sciences > Geology, Palaeontology & Archaeology

South America

(1/3) > >>

Dino:
I would be terribly grateful if anyone can tell me when South America separated from North America in the approximate period 135-140 million years ago. A separation based on the fossil record will do.
Thanks.

DoctorBeaver:
Surely, you've answered your own question

Dino:
Sorry, was using a library computer to search out a suitable forum, so I could not be more explicit in the limited online time available to me. A European palaeontologist without access to reference books thought it might have been between 140-135 million years ago, but was not at all that sure. That is why I have turned to the forum and it would have been nice to know if the answer I had inadvertently given was the right one.

I've been poring over the refernce books, but so far I haven't been able to ascertain when South America separated from North America. The best I could get was that the connection was already  broken in the early 'Kanozoic' approx. 60 million years ago, but according to another book it was sometime in the 'Chalk era?' (Kreidezeit in German) between 65 and 144 million years ago.

ADD HAHAHA:
wats it matter?

Drew Rody

DoctorBeaver:
http://soilphysics.okstate.edu/S257/book/geology/

Have a look there

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.

[0] Board index