Life Sciences > Physiology & Medicine

What makes sperm smell? Can a Vasectomy change sperm odour?

<< < (4/6) > >>

Variola:

--- Quote ---I love it when girls talk dirrrrty
--- End quote ---
[;D] [;D]

--- Quote ---Isn't semen a pretty standard recipe?

--- End quote ---

Yep sperm all need the same mix of sugars, salts and enzymes etc to survive inside the vagina, hence my post above where I said I doubted the semen would be 'diluted down' by a greater intake of water.

We need to figure out what part of the semen is making it pong, and why some men smell more than others. I am guessing it is a genetics factor, in the same way our sweat smells different from person to person. As mentioned above there are many other variables to semen too none of which can be directed back to something specific.

Karen W.:

--- Quote from: chris on 11/09/2009 12:00:56 ---It really amazes me when I read magazine articles or discussion threads in which medically ignorant "authorities" give women advice on how to make their men taste "sweeter", because most of the "guidance" dwells on rubbish about eating pineapple, avoiding cinnamon and the role of "dietary factors".

These aspects may make a small contribution to the aroma and flavour, but the thing that is universally overlooked is the anatomical fact that the route taken by semen to exit the body is via the urethra, a plumbing structure which is shared with the bladder.

As a result, the urethra will almost continuously contain low levels of urea, salts and other components of urine because (it's probably fair to say) most men urinate more often than they ejaculate.

Consequently, these urinary leftovers will become "admixed" with an ejaculate when it happens and, depending upon their concentration, will make a lesser or greater impact on flavour. Urea, which is present in modest amounts, has a very bitter taste. It can also be metabolised to ammonia by bacteria, which can be present if the person has an infection.

Significantly, and as has been alluded to above, the concentration of urea and other salts in urine is dependent upon body hydration. Someone with a low prior fluid intake will produce a more concentrated urine and hence the residuum left in the urethra is likely to be more concentrated, meaning that the taste it imparts to any semen will be more pronounced.

Thus, for the nicest taste, I would recommend (from a physiological rather than practical perspective I hasten to add) that drinking plenty of water and then taking a long leak prior to any activity of an oral persuasion would be the simplest and most effective way to bolster the bouquet.

Chris

--- End quote ---

Thank Chris for contributing your very valued opinion to my thread.
I am only referring to an odor as you noted the bouquet. So thanks.. It makes since if the body is dehydrated that there may be a higher probability that it be stronger because of where it travels and if one is not illimination very well nor taking in the required amount of liquid to make up that normal mix of sperm etc, for the ejaculate then I can understand how it may be stronger smelling then a well hydrated and evacuated mans sperm...
Thanks Chris for the professional view. I appreciate it!

Karen W.:

--- Quote from: Variola on 11/09/2009 01:32:01 ---
--- Quote ---so say Joe blow has an unpleasant pungent odor to his sperm
do you think water will help eliminate the odor and make it more easy to live with?
--- End quote ---

If the smell is that strong and unbearable then he would have to go to the doc as it maybe a sign of prostate infection.

It is the fluid part of the semen that smells, it would not alter significantly as it has to remain at a certain ratio of it's component parts in order to nourish the protect the sperm.
The testes are specifically kept away from much of the blood system to protects the mature and developing sperm.

Condoms are smelly anyway... but unless you had a good sniff of the semen whilst it was still inside the condom ( and why on earth would anyone want to?) It wont make any difference to the smell in general.

--- End quote ---

Doesn't the vasectomy alter the Ratio of the sperm to fluid mix.... leaving less or no sperm eventually some weeks after, and only fluid flowing into and the urethra area some weeks after a vasectomy has been completed...?

Karen W.:

--- Quote from: Nizzle on 11/09/2009 13:36:36 ---
--- Quote from: Variola on 11/09/2009 13:22:55 ---pre-cum
--- End quote ---
I love it when girls talk dirrrrty [;)]

--- Quote from: Variola on 11/09/2009 13:22:55 ---My money is still on the genetic differences between men cause the smell difference rather than anything dietary or fluid intake.
--- End quote ---

Isn't semen a pretty standard recipe?

--- End quote ---
Wouldn't that depend on the available amounts of the proper liquid to sperm mix coinciding with hydration also?
Certainly a vasectomy alters that perfect mix and changes the status of the fluid to sperm ratio then making the enviornment less then ideal for sperm, Not to mention the sperm should start being slowly illiminated altogether as the weeks progress, to the point there is no sperm injected into that mix as it has been cut and tied off. So ideally there will eventually there should be no sperm entering the other fluid and the sperm that is produced will if all goes well be reabsorbed into the body before the point of cut and tie..etc......?

Variola:

--- Quote ---Doesn't the vasectomy alter the Ratio of the sperm to fluid mix.... leaving less or no sperm eventually some weeks after, and only fluid flowing into and the urethra area some weeks after a vasectomy has been completed...?
--- End quote ---

Yep but it's not the sperm themselves that smell (to my knowledge). By component parts of semen I meant the balance of sugars, enzymes salts etc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version