The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it true that there is Hydrogen on Moon?  (Read 2160 times)

Offline dkv

• View Profile
Is it true that there is Hydrogen on Moon?
« on: 14/09/2007 12:23:13 »
Hydrogen is the lightest Gas.
And it is present larglely as a compound H2O.
The presence of Hydrogen element is negligible on Earth.

Moon has its won atmosphere although a very thin one.
Question is whether there is Hydrogen on the Moon ?
If Yes then how is this possible?

another_someone

« Reply #1 on: 14/09/2007 21:11:53 »
The presence of elemental hydrogen on Earth is minimal, but who has suggested that there is elemental hydrogen in any greater quantity on the moon?

Offline Quantum_Vaccuum

• The Base Of Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/09/2007 03:31:06 »
I'm not sure about the moon, but i think there is Hydrogen on Mars, am I correct? (I am hypothesising this because i thought that the frozen rivers would contain some H2O resulting in, obviously, the containment of Hydrogen, but what if the rivers weren't H20? It would be nice if someone could back me up on this Hypothosies.

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 24/09/2007 04:00:43 »
I'm not sure about the moon, but i think there is Hydrogen on Mars, am I correct? (I am hypothesising this because i thought that the frozen rivers would contain some H2O resulting in, obviously, the containment of Hydrogen, but what if the rivers weren't H20? It would be nice if someone could back me up on this Hypothosies.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/mars/news/mgs-20061206.html
NASA photographs have revealed bright new deposits seen in two gullies on Mars that suggest water carried sediment through them sometime during the past seven years.

"These observations give the strongest evidence to date that water still flows occasionally on the surface of Mars," said Michael Meyer, lead scientist for NASA's Mars Exploration Program, Washington.

Liquid water, as opposed to the water ice and water vapor known to exist at Mars, is considered necessary for life. The new findings heighten intrigue about the potential for microbial life on Mars. The Mars Orbiter Camera on NASA's Mars Global Surveyor provided the new evidence of the deposits in images taken in 2004 and 2005.

"The shapes of these deposits are what you would expect to see if the material were carried by flowing water," said Michael Malin of Malin Space Science Systems, San Diego. "They have finger-like branches at the downhill end and easily diverted around small obstacles." Malin is principal investigator for the camera and lead author of a report about the findings published in the journal Science.

The atmosphere of Mars is so thin and the temperature so cold that liquid water cannot persist at the surface. It would rapidly evaporate or freeze. Researchers propose that water could remain liquid long enough, after breaking out from an underground source, to carry debris downslope before totally freezing. The two fresh deposits are each several hundred meters or yards long.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 24/09/2007 04:00:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums