The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Relativity confusion!!  (Read 2152 times)

Offline hamza

• View Profile
    • Blog Hamxa
Relativity confusion!!
« on: 19/09/2007 20:27:38 »
Ok. guys i'm really confused at this thing about relativity.. it's confusing me so i thought about writing it . here it is
Suppose there are two guys A and B. A leaves the earth in a space ship at a speed very close to the speed of light.
(althought its nt possible but still..)A has left the earth at time .. let's say 12pm. this is the time on B's clock and the same time's on A's clock. Now after it's 1pm on B's clock, A return's back to earth. What would be the time on A's clock. For
B, A has traveled for 1 hour at the speed of light but what would be the time on A's clock. Should'nt it be 1pm on A's clock too.
« Last Edit: 19/09/2007 20:29:34 by hamza »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Relativity confusion!!
« Reply #1 on: 19/09/2007 20:42:34 »
No. Time for someone travelling at relativistic speed would pass, for them, at the same rate as normal. However, if they were away for an hour measured by an on-board clock, a lot more time would have passed for anyone who had stayed behind.

I'm not sure of the maths involved, so I can't tell you how much time.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Relativity confusion!!
« Reply #2 on: 20/09/2007 20:01:20 »
Ok. guys i'm really confused at this thing about relativity.. it's confusing me so i thought about writing it . here it is
Suppose there are two guys A and B. A leaves the earth in a space ship at a speed very close to the speed of light.
(althought its nt possible but still..)A has left the earth at time .. let's say 12pm. this is the time on B's clock and the same time's on A's clock. Now after it's 1pm on B's clock, A return's back to earth. What would be the time on A's clock. For
B, A has traveled for 1 hour
From 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. shouldn't it be 13 hours?
at the speed of light but what would be the time on A's clock. Should'nt it be 1pm on A's clock too.
For A clock is still 12 p.m.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Relativity confusion!!
« Reply #2 on: 20/09/2007 20:01:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums