The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Testing Astronauts In A Pure Oxygen Atmosphere.......why ?  (Read 3328 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Rdn00b's thread about pure oxygen got me thinking  about a program I saw regarding accidents in space.

See this teddy bear :

Nice isn't it ?..notice how oxygenated he is ?

He's about to become a teddy astronaut !

But why do they conduct tests on astronauts sealing them in a capsule with an atmosphere of pure oxygen ?

Two cases Apollo 1 and the guy who in fact preceded Yuri Gagarin were terrible disasters where pure oxygen was the fuel for terrible fire.

So..why do they conduct tests like this ?

another_someone

Testing Astronauts In A Pure Oxygen Atmosphere.......why ?
« Reply #1 on: 20/09/2007 21:50:56 »
But why do they conduct tests on astronauts sealing them in a capsule with an atmosphere of pure oxygen ?

Two cases Apollo 1 and the guy who in fact preceded Yuri Gagarin were terrible disasters where pure oxygen was the fuel for terrible fire.

It saves having to worry about the nitrogen (or other inert gas).

If you have a limited capacity to carry anything (e.g. you are climbing up a mountain, and you don't want to carry more weight than you need to, or you are sending men into space, and want to keep the weight down), then you need to carry oxygen, because humans need it to stay alive, but the nitrogen that is 80% of the air is just extra weight.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/09/2007 23:55:02 »

It saves having to worry about the nitrogen (or other inert gas).

If you have a limited capacity to carry anything (e.g. you are climbing up a mountain, and you don't want to carry more weight than you need to, or you are sending men into space, and want to keep the weight down), then you need to carry oxygen, because humans need it to stay alive, but the nitrogen that is 80% of the air is just extra weight.

Thanks George,
So the Nitrogen in the air I am breathing right now is ancillary to my needs !!....from an inhalation point of view...anyway ! I gather that it's necessary to stop us from blowing ourselves up every day......but we donít need it to breathe eh ?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/09/2007 08:11:00 »
Thanks George,
So the Nitrogen in the air I am breathing right now is ancillary to my needs !!....from an inhalation point of view...anyway ! I gather that it's necessary to stop us from blowing ourselves up every day......but we donít need it to breathe eh ?

We don't need to breath it but, as already said in another thread, we couldn't breath pure oxygen at atmospheric pressure.
« Last Edit: 21/09/2007 08:15:53 by lightarrow »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 21/09/2007 08:11:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums