The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: PUS......what is it ?  (Read 5814 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
PUS......what is it ?
« on: 21/09/2007 17:45:13 »
Dearest All (whom I admire so much)

I won't place a picture here as it's a bit gross but I have an infection in my little finger (by the nail)and I've been treating it with a plaster and some antiseptic cream the last couple days.

*warning...if you're eating stop*

Just glancing at it right now I noticed that the skin must have erupted as a little bit of pus was oozing out ....so...I grabbed my finger and squeezed it and voila !.....I'm in pus heaven !!..bubbles of the stuff have oozed out...all nice and yellowy white....not much smell though !!..
..........anyway......now that I've killed your appetite....can ewe tell me what IS pus ?
...what's it made from..how does the body make it and why ?

Sorry if this has been asked before but my finger forced the issue to ask again.

THANKS

Neil

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
PUS......what is it ?
« Reply #1 on: 21/09/2007 17:46:48 »
i actually was eating. thanks for the warning..

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
PUS......what is it ?
« Reply #2 on: 21/09/2007 18:03:48 »
i actually was eating. thanks for the warning..

I'm thoughtful like that !

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
PUS......what is it ?
« Reply #3 on: 21/09/2007 18:41:35 »
Hi Neilibus friendo!

...actually Nail&Pus!

This is just crazy: you are asking the very same
question
that you replied 'in person' last November!

check this out:  http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=5975.0

your pupil and discussant in those days was named sbposeidon, and
eventually disappeared from this forum last January, after just 2 (two) posts...
what a shame.

Cod liver oil doesn't seem to help your memory so much!

Joking...
nice to be around here!
Take care of you nail  ;D

ikod

"Pus bonum et laudabile"

transl. from Latin: pus good and laudable

The accumulation of neutrophil polymorphs within the extracellular space is the diagnostic histological feature of acute inflammation.

High-magnification of pus in the lumen of the appendix. Pus consists of living and degenerate neutrophil polymorphs together with liquefied tissue debris.
The neutrophil is the main cell to mediate the effects of acute inflammation. If tissue damage is slight, an adequate supply is derived from normal numbers circulating in blood. If tissue damage is extensive, stores of neutrophils, including some immature forms, are released from bone marrow to increase the absolute count of neutrophils in the blood. To maintain the supply of neutrophils, growth factors derived from the inflammatory process stimulate division of myeloid precursors in the bone marrow, thereby increasing the number of developing neutrophils.
The main cellular events in acute inflammation, all of which are caused by chemical mediators, are as follows:
The normally inactive endothelium has to be activated to allow adhesion of neutrophils.
Normally inactive neutrophils have to be activated to enhance their capacity for phagocytosis, bacterial killing, and generation of inflammatory mediators.
Neutropllils have to develop the ability to move actively, in a directional fashion, from vessels towards the area of tissue damage.

http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/http/mod/3/1/a/cellular.html

8 x PUS = OctoPUS

http://www.garycmartin.com/images/octopus_look.jpg

ikod

« Last Edit: 21/09/2007 21:08:13 by iko »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
PUS......what is it ?
« Reply #4 on: 21/09/2007 22:39:37 »
LOL...Dearest Iko,

il mio amico

you don't actually think I read my own posts do you ?... ;D THANKS for the link back to my own answer !! 

Mi confondo !! and Sono imbarazzato !!

Offline Chococat101

• First timers
    • View Profile
PUS......what is it ?
« Reply #5 on: 29/04/2009 01:14:18 »
Pus, thick white or yellowish fluid, found at sites of bacterial infection of the body. Certain white blood cells, called phagocytes, migrate to the area of infection and engulf the invaders. They then kill the ingested bacteria by releasing toxic substances inside the cell. In the process the white blood cells also die, and these cells become constituents of pus. See Abscess; Carbuncle.  [xx(]

The Naked Scientists Forum

PUS......what is it ?
« Reply #5 on: 29/04/2009 01:14:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums