The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: For FORKS sake !!...give me some Forking Tongue !!!.......(about snake tongues )  (Read 5557 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dear Tongue Twisters :

Here's a blokes tongue :

Nice isn't it ?..notice how single it looks....?..quite happy with no split personality !!

Now check this Snakes tongue out:

Notice the difference ?....well of course ewe do !!...one is a snakes, the other is a blokes.......
..The main difference is that the snakes is a forked tongue !!

WHY IS THAT THEN ?.....why does Snakey enjoy forked tongue goodness and luff and not me ? (yep..that's my tongue)

This is what I want to know...and I know that the peeps who don't know...also want to know too !!

another_someone

The snake uses there tongue totally differently to the way mammals do. 

Mammals use their tongues to eat with, and the tongue is an extremely powerful muscle, so having a single solid bulk gives a stronger muscle.

The snake uses its tongue as a chemical detector, much as insects use their antenna, and like an insects antenna, having it face two directions gives it the capability to have some slight directionality in detecting smell (i.e. if the left part of the tongue tastes a smell stronger then the right part, then it can deduce that the thing it is smelling is more to the left than to the right).

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile

Mammals use their tongues to eat with, and the tongue is an extremely powerful muscle, so having a single solid bulk gives a stronger muscle.

The snake uses its tongue as a chemical detector, much as insects use their antenna, and like an insects antenna, having it face two directions gives it the capability to have some slight directionality in detecting smell (i.e. if the left part of the tongue tastes a smell stronger then the right part, then it can deduce that the thing it is smelling is more to the left than to the right).

Thanks George.

So, what you're saying really is that a snake can taste and detect using it's tongue in stereo !!.....cool !!

wish I could do that !

Thanks George .

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Now how on earth did two sets of quotey stuff happen ?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Neil Open a permenant marker breath with your mouth open stick out your tongue if you need to. I can taste permenant marker with my tongue without touching it only having my mouth open and my nose smells it also. So the tongue sort of in this case for me too detects certain chemical compound. I can be several feet away from an open permenant marker and taste it from several feet away!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Thanks Karen,

I will indeed do as ewe say.

In fact . I will adopt the the snake philosophy and just have my tongue hanging out most of the time........

..Of course, I'll probably get arrested !!...but at least I'll be handy for licking stamps in jail !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Your welcome! LOL!

Offline dkv

• View Profile
I think the ears would have been better to detect prey. With tongue the directional presence is highly dependent on air flow. First the prey is difficult to catch and then you have this dependency on wind. And this extra assumption of tongue replacing nose and ears.
Insignificant observation I would say.
Moisture content of the atmospehere and direction of wind can be determined using tongue. Snakes like to move towards colder regions when hot and towards hotter regions when cold..
And importantly it appears to me that forked tongue offers more refined sense of taste. They taste poisons as well. Humans or other animals do not try to eat animals which are poisnous.. but these reptiles do eat poisnous insects animals. And it is important for them to distinguish the extended list of "tastes".
I think poisnous spider must also be having some mechanism to distinguish different dishes.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
I think the ears would have been better to detect prey. With tongue the directional presence is highly dependent on air flow. First the prey is difficult to catch and then you have this dependency on wind. And this extra assumption of tongue replacing nose and ears.
Insignificant observation I would say.
Moisture content of the atmospehere and direction of wind can be determined using tongue. Snakes like to move towards colder regions when hot and towards hotter regions when cold..
And importantly it appears to me that forked tongue offers more refined sense of taste. They taste poisons as well. Humans or other animals do not try to eat animals which are poisnous.. but these reptiles do eat poisnous insects animals. And it is important for them to distinguish the extended list of "tastes".
I think poisnous spider must also be having some mechanism to distinguish different dishes.

THANK YOU DKV

Yes, good points about the nature of the airflow !!...perhaps the tongue is a great 'guide' at a distance and comes into it's own element at really close range !!

THANKS

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length