The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Liquid Oxygen, and Liquid Nitro = 5000 degree ferenhite?  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Quantum_Vaccuum

• The Base Of Chemistry
    • View Profile
I heard somewhere that when you mix liquid O2and liquid Nitrogen, you get a substance that if it is heated enough, it will burn at very high temperatures, like 5000F. Could that possibly be the same substance used to fuel space shuttles?

Offline eric l

• View Profile
Liquid Oxygen, and Liquid Nitro = 5000 degree ferenhite?
« Reply #1 on: 24/09/2007 09:31:50 »
My first thought was that you were way of the mark, but then I vaguely remembered a process.  After some search, I could trace it back :  the Birkeland-Eyde process  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birkeland-Eyde_process)  It was used at one time for making fertilizers, but is rather inefficient.  It is replaced now by the Ostwald process, using catalysts and running at much lower temperatures.
The rocket fuel you refer to will be liquid hydrogen rather than liquid nitrogen.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/09/2007 15:04:36 »
I heard somewhere that when you mix liquid O2and liquid Nitrogen, you get a substance that if it is heated enough, it will burn at very high temperatures, like 5000F. Could that possibly be the same substance used to fuel space shuttles?
Maybe you referred to hypergolics?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergolic

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24/09/2007 20:22:42 »
If you mix liquid oxygen and liquid nitrogen yuo will get liquid air. Not very exciting.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 24/09/2007 20:22:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums