The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Finger wrinkiling  (Read 4132 times)

Offline hamza

• View Profile
    • Blog Hamxa
Finger wrinkiling
« on: 25/09/2007 01:07:55 »
I want to ask that why after staying in water for quite a while, do the tips of our fingers get wrinkly and white??

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Finger wrinkiling
« Reply #1 on: 25/09/2007 02:30:18 »
i believe that our skin is absorbing extra water and the wrinkles are our skin stretching to hold the extra water

paul.fr

Finger wrinkiling
« Reply #2 on: 25/09/2007 04:37:42 »
How about i answer your question, with a question? When you get out of the bath, which parts of your body are never wrinkly? What makes those parts different?

Offline hamza

• View Profile
    • Blog Hamxa
Finger wrinkiling
« Reply #3 on: 25/09/2007 08:08:23 »
How about i answer your question, with a question? When you get out of the bath, which parts of your body are never wrinkly? What makes those parts different?
Well, the rest of my body does not get wrinkly.. it's just the  tips of my hands and feet that get wrinkly. and regarding your question;"what makes them different?" ..I have no idea about that. Why doesn't my arm get wrinkly or why doesn't my belly or face get wrinkly?.. maybe because they have hair on them.lol.. I really have no idea..

paul.fr

Finger wrinkiling
« Reply #4 on: 25/09/2007 08:56:29 »

Well, the rest of my body does not get wrinkly.. it's just the  tips of my hands and feet that get wrinkly. and regarding your question;"what makes them different?" ..I have no idea about that. Why doesn't my arm get wrinkly or why doesn't my belly or face get wrinkly?.. maybe because they have hair on them.lol.. I really have no idea..

That is what you should have noticed, i only asked the question because people always ask why do fingers and feet / toes get wrinkly, not why doesn't other parts get wrinkly.

My understanding is that these are area's of the body that "do more work" and are exposed to more forces such as friction when walking or rubbing the hands or doing manual labour. These are area's that build up or already have more layers of "skin".

When your hands are soaked in water, the keratin absorbs it and swells. As a result, there is relatively too much stratum corneum and it wrinkles. This bunching up occurs on fingers and toes because the epidermis is much thicker on the hands and feet than elsewhere on the body.

You may also notice that your nails soften, they also contain keratin and absorb some water.

Offline _Stefan_

• View Profile
    • My Photobucket Album
Finger wrinkiling
« Reply #5 on: 25/09/2007 16:04:20 »
I thought it was because the skin lost oils. Thanks for that Paul.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Finger wrinkiling
« Reply #6 on: 25/09/2007 23:18:24 »
i have noticed the nails too, but i never put two and two together... thanks paul!

paul.fr

Finger wrinkiling
« Reply #7 on: 26/09/2007 01:36:57 »
I thought it was because the skin lost oils. Thanks for that Paul.
I think that the loss of oils, or sebum, is also a factor but not a major one. You could always add oil to your bath or rub some on your skin after a bath. This should reduce the wrinkles and / or reduce the time you have wrinkles for.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Finger wrinkiling
« Reply #7 on: 26/09/2007 01:36:57 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums