The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: new theory of the begining of the universe (the big bang) as from my buddy jerry  (Read 4567 times)

Offline i am bored

• View Profile
my friend jerrylowe came up with this theory of the big bang

it starts out with a black hole

as a black hole absorbs material it get bigger, but it also comes closer to its critical mass a black hole continues to get bigger no matter what so it critical mass is the size of the universe so when the black hole reaches critical mass it will explode thus creating the "big bang" i want to know if this is theoretically possible

another_someone

First problem - where is the black hole absorbing matter from - it assumes that matter exists before the Big Bang, so where is this matter now?

Secondly, as I understand it, black holes get more stable as they get bigger, not less stable.

Offline i am bored

• View Profile
yes but the black hole cannot get bigger than the universe its impossible so it must explode or we have a new Apocalypse theory

another_someone

yes but the black hole cannot get bigger than the universe its impossible so it must explode or we have a new Apocalypse theory

It cannot get bigger if there is no more material to suck in - but this is not a matter of reaching a critical mass, but just running out of fuel.

Nonetheless, I am not aware of superlarge black holes exploding (small black holes, yes, but not super large black holes).

Black holes is believed to lose energy through Hawkins radiation (although this is controversial), but if this is the case, it will cause a gradual shrinking of the black hole, not an explosion.  On the other hand, the interesting question is, if it emits Hawkins radiation, than I would imagine it would then also suck this back in, so simply maintaining an equilibrium (no doubt Ian will have a better explanation).

Offline i am bored

• View Profile

another_someone

The only known way that Black Holes will lose matter is by a form of radiation (a theory put forward by Hawkins, but not yet proved) that causes matter-antimatter pairs to be created at the boundary (the event horizon) of the black hole.

Since this is created at the event horizon of the Black Hole, and since the more massive the Black Hole, the bigger it is (i.e. the further away the Event Horizon is from the centre of the Black Hole), and the bigger a Black hole is the less Hawkins radiation it produces.  Thus a very big Black Hole will only create a little Hawkins radiation, and will only shrink slowly, but as the Black Hole gets smaller, so the rate at which it emits Hawkins Radiation gets greater, and as the process accelerates, so the Black Hole near the end of its life may indeed explode.

The problem, as I see it, is you are conjecturing about a universe that contains only one black hole, and nothing else.

So, the question is, as this big black hole emits this radiation, where can this radiation go - there is nothing else in the universe that will be able to attract the matter created by the Hawkins radiation - the only force in this hypothetical universe is the very black hole that generated the matter.  Thus, eventually, the only thing I can see happening is that the matter that is created by the Hawkins radiation eventually falls back into the very black hole that originally created it.

Offline Quantum_Vaccuum

• The Base Of Chemistry
    • View Profile
and will eventually destroy itself alltogether

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Red Dwarf Quote; 'The thing about space is---- it's black and the thing about black holes is------ they are also black.

Steven Hawkings has an air of mystery about him due to his unfortunate condition. If I were in the same black hole as Steven, I would be fantasising about giant black holes sucking the life out of everything. But Steven is not going to pull me into his black hole theory. Sorry guys but if you cant smell it touch it see it or understand it it ain't there! I can't see the point in fantasising about the existence of stuff billions of miles away when we have plenty of problems remaining unsolved here on Earth, where at least we can inspect them to see if they are correct or not. You may have fooled a lot of people Stevo but You won’t fool me.

Dreaming up fantasies that cannot be tested appears to be a trait of the modern scientists. This is undoubtedly due to the requirements of a PHD to produce an original piece of science for a paper. Where better to look for one than in the infinite possibilities of the universe? If we are ever to advance science we need to focus on real science, science that matters to each and everyone of us. Not science that amuses Star Trek audiences.

Offline GBSB

• View Profile
    • Biomechanics and Health

Dreaming up fantasies that cannot be tested appears to be a trait of the modern scientists. This is undoubtedly due to the requirements of a PHD to produce an original piece of science for a paper. Where better to look for one than in the infinite possibilities of the universe? If we are ever to advance science we need to focus on real science, science that matters to each and everyone of us. Not science that amuses Star Trek audiences.

That is my thought too.

It seems that many people think that in real world is nothing more left to discovery.

Even if you discovery something that can be highly beneficial for humans and humanity there is no to much people left that are able to understand because thanks to nowadays popularity of pointless theories the majority of the people are showing attention only to theories that are from one side not understandable and on other side ridiculous and not testable.

Luka

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums