The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Have you got any ideas to help save the planet?  (Read 17964 times)

sooyeah

Have you got any ideas to help save the planet?
« on: 27/09/2007 15:07:16 »
The BBC ran a story yesterday and the scientists said they want people to come up with ways, of tackling climate change.

I was thinking you could use big filters to filter the air and remove the gases we don't want; Not sure about storage though.

So, I have posted here in new theories.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27/09/2007 15:33:22 »
Yeah Seany and I were talking about that once we need a huge huge covered bubbled in filtering greenhouse like item that is bigger then Russia! LOL

Offline gamburch

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/10/2007 17:20:00 »
I think the planet is going to be just fine. What I worry about is 10 billion people being poor, hungry, and desperate because they worried that something bad was going to happen.

Offline stana

• Dare to be yourself!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/10/2007 18:47:43 »
My theory isn't to stop climate change. I wouldn't mind england being warmer during th summer, instead of having to pay to go to Spain for a tan!   But heres one for you.

Dig a hole in the sea, 7ft down, this is where all the melted down ice will go, sea wont rise, wont fall.   Yes it would be a very big hole, but in theory, could it work?

Offline Quantum_Vaccuum

• The Base Of Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09/10/2007 01:29:55 »
... here is my theory: We find a way to create a car that runs on CO2 and produces Oxygen, then, we find a way to make bigger better forests, cause that is just helpful overall.

Offline Quantum_Vaccuum

• The Base Of Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09/10/2007 01:30:21 »
... here is my theory: We find a way to create a car that runs on CO2 and produces Oxygen, then, we find a way to make bigger better forests, cause that is just helpful overall.
But thats never gonna happen, so i'll just keep that to myself

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/10/2007 09:16:42 »
Put George Bush in a padded cell before he kills all of us.

Offline pete_inthehills

• View Profile
    • The Beggshill Bothy
« Reply #7 on: 19/10/2007 14:48:25 »
I thought the obvious answer to this would be to kill of all the humans.  No humans, no pollution.  The planet would get itself together eventually and then evolution could try again with ants or bees or something.

pete
inthehills

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #8 on: 19/10/2007 15:45:57 »
I thought the obvious answer to this would be to kill of all the humans.  No humans, no pollution.  The planet would get itself together eventually and then evolution could try again with ants or bees or something.

pete
inthehills

About the most sensible suggestion so far!
For moderation how about we try & convince all those religious types to not see contraception as "evil".  More extremely we could follow the Chinese & give incentives to families that only have one child (may be a bit tricky in the developing world, but you get the idea!).

Offline MK

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23/11/2007 00:26:51 »
The problem is an excess in population. Reduce the human population through evolution. If a newborn baby is set to die allow him or her to die. Educate that 3/4 children are unnecessary and concentrate on the population growth because no matter how much you do to change things now, if the population carries on growing then things are only going to get worse. We're like bacteria living inside a bottle at some point we will feed on each other.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23/11/2007 08:36:52 »
Remind me not to go on a boat ride with you.

Population Implosion 

Stanford's Paul "Population Bomb'' Ehrlich has compiled an essentially perfect record in his predictions concerning human resources and the environment - all of his predictions have been wrong. Increasingly, it looks like the last threat to his unblemished record of failure -catastrophic rises in world population - will be removed.

21st Century, Fall 1998, p 8, reports that U. S. Census Bureau data shows that the 20-year decline in world population growth rate accelerated in 1997 and the first half of 1998. Of the 157 countries included, 17 had falling populations a year ago. Now 30 have falling populations and 16 more have zero population growth.

World population stands at 5.9 billion. The world population growth rate in the 1980s was 2%. In 1992 it was 1.7%; in 1997 it was 1.4%; and now it is 1.3% per year.

This moderated growth and the spread of farm technology has caused a continuing 20-year downtrend in the worldwide number of acres of farm land under cultivation. Meanwhile, the people who are working continue to perform as Julian Simon predicted - producing more and more resources at lower prices. Do not, however, look for the enviros to reduce their howls that overpopulation is depleting earth of its remaining resources with doomsday just ahead. Perceived reality is their stock-in-trade. Facts do not matter.
http://www.accesstoenergy.com/view/ate/s41p891.htm

Offline Zephyr

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23/11/2007 19:09:59 »
Has anyone ever read that book by Ian Niall Rankin? It's a science book called "Doomsday just ahead."
It's basically about the worlds system to deal with climate change and such.
Energy is constant. Never ending, cannot be created and destroyed. But the earths magnetic field is NOT infinite. He suggests in his book that this means that the magnetic north has not always been where it is now. He suggests that every 7 million years or so, the earths core runs out of energy, the magnetic field runs dead.

Eventually, the energy is tranformed back through heat from the sun (Kind of like recharging the core like a battery) and the planet starts again. BUT, the poles aren't the same place they were before. This certainly explains why Antartica has fertile soil under all that ice. It wasn't always at the far south.

So the earth ever changes it's ways like that. And just to make sure, when this happens, the sea washes over the land, killing everything. It is an explanation to the disappearance of the dinosaurs AND the 23 degree tilt of our planet. I checked him out just to make sure he's not a lunatic, and his research looks sound. He's proved that over the last 50 years the earths field hs lost a total of 235 billion megajoules of energy. I don't know how much there was at the start, but it really makes you think.

So why bother with slowing down pollution? The planet will take care of itself. It will survuve us, no matter what we do. But will we survive it? That's a better question...

sooyeah

« Reply #12 on: 24/11/2007 15:41:17 »
how about paprus paper to replace tree paper or you could mix recycled paper with papirus,,, new market would also provided wet lands for birds

sooyeah

« Reply #13 on: 24/11/2007 15:43:26 »
Would it be possible to pump water to the top of a mountain and then let it slowly trickle down removing the salt you could design a mountain or drill holes in an existing one.
You pump sea water or siphon it. gravity driven all coastal countries in Africa could get fresh water if it worked.
« Last Edit: 24/11/2007 15:58:53 by sooyeah »

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #14 on: 24/11/2007 23:45:53 »
Sorry sooyeah your ideas do not work and things like that are just pussyfooting around the edge of the real problem

It will be almost impossible to stop climate change we will have to learn to live with it, improve our efficiency and look at social structures that will enable us to reduce the global population of humans to a sustainable level and maintain it at that level.  I suggest that about one tenth of the current global population would be about right.  We must also be extremely careful to recycle certain rare and useful elements as thoroughly as possible.

The greater the global population that we decide to have the more precise will be the controls and the less resources there will be in the long term.

Failing this, warfare and starvation will do it in a very rapid and unpleasant way probably within the next one hundred years and we will have to build again from a lower base in a ravaged planet.
« Last Edit: 24/11/2007 23:48:45 by Soul Surfer »

sooyeah

« Reply #15 on: 04/12/2007 13:24:45 »
Sorry sooyeah your ideas do not work and things like that are just pussyfooting around the edge of the real problem

It will be almost impossible to stop climate change we will have to learn to live with it, improve our efficiency and look at social structures that will enable us to reduce the global population of humans to a sustainable level and maintain it at that level.  I suggest that about one tenth of the current global population would be about right.  We must also be extremely careful to recycle certain rare and useful elements as thoroughly as possible.

The greater the global population that we decide to have the more precise will be the controls and the less resources there will be in the long term.

Failing this, warfare and starvation will do it in a very rapid and unpleasant way probably within the next one hundred years and we will have to build again from a lower base in a ravaged planet.

Thanks soul surfer,

Had an Idea for a 'birth trading system' sort of like the carbon trading so each country sets a level of births and then trades quoter's. The objective being a reduction over time of the human population, no war or famine needed.

Self control, legal frameworks, education, even the market, could be used, it's a long term plan, which I think is a lot better than the war and famine route.

So under the UN each country could allocate licences for births each five years the quotas could come down slightly. Countries or individuals could then trade these.

I think that is a better option to war anyway.

Really if it was ever taken up it would need to be done in conjunction with education (family and sexual health). We could do what they have done in china and put in place a one or two child policy, or combine them both.

None of the options are easy but they are all better than war I feel.

P.S Soul surfer, water for Africa is not a non-issue.
« Last Edit: 04/12/2007 13:29:16 by JOLLY »

sooyeah

« Reply #16 on: 08/12/2007 15:19:32 »
What I'm saying is that humanity is one big family, and really what we need is 'family planning, that considers the needs of all the relatives'.

If you are 'pro-life' then you should be, pro all life, not just human life. And at the end of the day the more humans there are here, the more destructive the human race as a whole is.

So I'm for respectful family planning, not just for our own sakes but for the sake of all the other life that exists on this planet.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09/12/2007 09:43:03 »
http://www.taliacarner.com/thedyingroomsspecialreport.html
Watch the dying rooms documentary about children in China left to die in horrific conditions by wilful neglect, often tying their legs to chairs so they are suspended above a potty, before hailing China as our saviour. Mind you itís a good place to buy spare parts for our ageing bodies. Apparently you can pick the person you want executed and carved up much the same as one picks a lobster in a restaurant.

You can watch the documentary here: http://www.channel4.com/fourdocs/archive/the_dying_room_player.html

paul.fr

« Reply #18 on: 09/12/2007 12:26:19 »

Watch the dying rooms documentary about children in China left to die in horrific conditions by wilful neglect, often tying their legs to chairs so they are suspended above a potty, before hailing China as our saviour.

something similar to what "we" once did, eh. How we are so mighty to judge what others do when in many cases we were the first to do such things. British, Commonwealth and colonial history is littered with atrocities but hay lets condone others and forget our past.

Hold on, is it in our past? Isn't this the type of thing the (piss poor) social services are still finding in todays UK?

Mind you it's a good place to buy spare parts for our ageing bodies. Apparently you can pick the person you want executed and carved up much the same as one picks a lobster in a restaurant.

can you really pick a person to be executed?

sooyeah

« Reply #19 on: 10/12/2007 10:59:17 »
Would it be possible to pump water to the top of a mountain and then let it slowly trickle down removing the salt you could design a mountain or drill holes in an existing one.
You pump sea water or siphon it. gravity driven all coastal countries in Africa could get fresh water if it worked.

I was dissucssing this with someone the other, had maybe a better idea you could use a normal pipe line which removes the salt as the water travels along it.

sooyeah

« Reply #20 on: 10/12/2007 11:01:42 »
http://www.taliacarner.com/thedyingroomsspecialreport.html
Watch the dying rooms documentary about children in China left to die in horrific conditions by wilful neglect, often tying their legs to chairs so they are suspended above a potty, before hailing China as our saviour. Mind you itís a good place to buy spare parts for our ageing bodies. Apparently you can pick the person you want executed and carved up much the same as one picks a lobster in a restaurant.

You can watch the documentary here: http://www.channel4.com/fourdocs/archive/the_dying_room_player.html

Where are you going? who is hailing China as a saviour of anything? The One, two child policy is just a law China introduced, nothing more.

What are you saying? That because China has a disgraceful record with human rights your not going to pay attention to or to consider anything they do as a potential benefit to everyone? I have serious doubts about you, and have no doubt lots of products in your home say 'made in china'.

Paul's correct Britain hasn't got the greatest past either, most countries don't. But if a one child policy could help the planet and all who live here whats the issue, in using it?

Even bad people can have good ideas!
« Last Edit: 10/12/2007 11:08:52 by JOLLY »

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10/12/2007 13:35:09 »
Hey, hands up, I have said before I am ashamed to be British given our past, and indeed as Paul states our today. Our human rights are non-existant. We slaughter innocent men women and children because Mr Blair says so.

I am glad however that your guys have obiously not forgotten our past.

RE: can you really pick a person to be executed? Answer, yes if you have sufficient money you can do anything.

Glad you have doubts about me also. See it as a promotion :)

sooyeah

« Reply #22 on: 11/12/2007 13:23:42 »
Hey, hands up, I have said before I am ashamed to be British given our past, and indeed as Paul states our today. Our human rights are non-existant. We slaughter innocent men women and children because Mr Blair says so.

I am glad however that your guys have obiously not forgotten our past.

RE: can you really pick a person to be executed? Answer, yes if you have sufficient money you can do anything.

Glad you have doubts about me also. See it as a promotion :)

It's who you are, not, who you were, that counts.

Bottom line we all make mistakes, noone has lived a perfect life, but it's learning to see your mistakes, except that you have made them and becoming a better person by doing so, that's important.
When you can start doing that, it then becomes easier to see others making mistakes and understand and forgive them, we are all human we all mess up.
Noone is perfect, forgiveness is just as much about not letting anger and hate eat away inside you.
We are all human, we are all vulnerable, we all suffer(in our own way), we all make mistakes, that's one reality that certainly, brings us all together.
« Last Edit: 29/12/2007 13:23:48 by JOLLY »

sooyeah

« Reply #23 on: 16/04/2008 19:44:27 »
As current food problems are growing, how about different forms of farming?

I was thinking you could build a subterrainion farm, use sun light feed by mirrors and electric lighting, it would be in-closed so no need for pesticides etc, could be more expensive but you would be able to grow crops all year round as the temp inside could be regulated.

Boat farming- convert an old aircraft carrier, the top deck used for growing and the lower decks could be used to process bio-fuel. It could move to the best growing enviroment and therefore grow crops all year round, it could run on bio-fuel, so it just has to dock to unload itīs grain or bio-fuel, every now and then.

What ya think?
« Last Edit: 19/04/2008 14:21:44 by JOLLY »

Offline Cooliorob

• The General is watching!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23/04/2008 22:56:22 »
interesting... but would there be room to move around and fix things if need be?

also, better forests are entirely possible through proper management.  Thinning makes forests more healthy, by getting rid of brush, which does 2 things. 1, it lowers the risks of catastrophic forest fire, and 2, it gives things room to grow.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 23/04/2008 22:56:22 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length