The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Have you got any ideas to help save the planet?  (Read 17970 times)

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
Have you got any ideas to help save the planet?
« Reply #25 on: 24/04/2008 00:06:10 »
"could be more expensive", that's the main problem cost.

There are many thing that could be done very quickly and effectively now but in a capitalistic society that's centred on money the "cost" of it and who pays comes first.

I'm not sure how much it would cost to provide every home in the UK with a set of solar panels but its possible that a fraction of the money recently spent by Governments to prop up their economies could have financed such a scheme.
If they were produced in quantity I'm sure the cost would be much less.

Its sad when it comes down to that level, we will spend billions on the Olympics and neglect other pressing issues because there's no quick profit in saving the planet.

another_someone

« Reply #26 on: 24/04/2008 01:34:34 »
Had an Idea for a 'birth trading system' sort of like the carbon trading so each country sets a level of births and then trades quoter's. The objective being a reduction over time of the human population, no war or famine needed.

Carbon trading (which anyway is only partially enforced - otherwise we would not be allowed to breath without a licence) is about money - you can use carbon if you can pay for a licence to use it.

An analogy with the population issue would imply only rich people can have babies.  To some extent we already have this, as in the developed world the cost of bringing up children is extremely expensive, and poor people do have difficulty paying for it - but your suggestion would in effect formalise that - if you don't have the money you are not allowed to have children, but if you can pay for the licences, you can have as many children as you like.

I realise there has always been a paranoia by some middle class families that lower class people are having too many children, and almost an implicit suggestion that poor people should be sterilised - this idea would feed into that paranoia quite well.

another_someone

« Reply #27 on: 24/04/2008 01:39:25 »
"could be more expensive", that's the main problem cost.

There are many thing that could be done very quickly and effectively now but in a capitalistic society that's centred on money the "cost" of it and who pays comes first.

I am sure if it were to come out of your pocket, you'd be saying it should not be you who pays.

Money is not an ideal way of allocating resources, but it is better than any alternative we presently have.

If something is expensive, there is probably a reason why it is expensive.  It may be that there is identifiable distortion in the market that needs adjusting, and the cost is unreasonable; but just as likely is that the extra cost reflects the fact that it is an expensive use of resources that we cannot afford.  Solar cells take a lot of energy to make (and a fair amount sand, and quite a few expensive metals) - so the cost does to some extent reflect the fact that with present production techniques we really are using valuable resources in a not very cost effective way.

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #28 on: 24/04/2008 18:01:10 »

I am sure if it were to come out of your pocket, you'd be saying it should not be you who pays.

No that's not a line I take as I believe that certain luxury power consuming items, IMHO, should be taxed at higher rates. Not only that because of my lifestyle (or lack of one  ;)) I have a very low energy 'footprint". Because of the cheapness and availability of some items it encourage a wasteful society and its well know that hitting the wallet works.

There is a lot an individual can personally do to help but most wont until it hits them, people are not prepared to change their lifestyle and give up their luxuries and as a consequence they just moan and end up consuming more.

As far as Jollys question goes I would embark on a pipeline project to supply water to drought ridden areas to help economies to grow food for themselves and making for better health. Aid and food subsidies could then be a thing of the past.

Offline SFMA

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09/05/2008 16:32:22 »
It's possible. The question is will we deliver what it takes?
It won't cost us the earth just be more keen on the brown and green.

I mean a more friendly appraoch to the palnts and the earth will make
a lot of diffrent.

Offline TheHerbaholic

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 13/05/2008 09:17:45 »
You know what the China way of doing things seems the right way to go. If you think about it, China are actually strengthening their population.
Because if the people who can't afford to pay the fee's or licence to have the seccond child, eventually, poor people will die out. Leaving China with the more motivated, intelligent, money getters...
A population like this would obviously, always need the lifetime workers of McDonalds, or cleaners, or the weak brain weak bodied type work. What would happen is that people with genes who are much more motivated, would then do that work, and a better job. That would lead to a much more effecient country. Also less crime, and eventually a much better way of life for Chinese people.

So aswel as this, and then reducing the population in Briton on our small over populated island..Why isn't it a good idea?
You could know that 10 generations from now, your relatives would be living in a much better world than we have been.
AND although I believe global warming is a lie because of the state of the worlds natural resources, if it was true, would help that get better.

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 14/05/2008 11:16:15 »
Having more intelligence is the last thing china wants. Its wealth comes from keeping the working class working. Promoting them all to walk around the cities swinging umbrellas, carrying briefcases, wearing suits and a tie and wearing a bowler hat does not quite address the problems we now face. The reason China is becoming wealthy is because of itís massive population and cheap labour force. Take away the labour force by educating them to pretend to provide a valuable non manufacturing non producing roll as is the case in the UK and china would be left seeking cheap imports from other countries that do have a large cheap labour force.

Educating people does not reduce crime, it makes criminals more intelligent and more efficient!

Your argument does not stack up unless it was entirely satirical then I applaud you for your dark humour!

Every single past ancient civilization from the Egyptians to the Mesopotamians, from the Anastasi Indians to the Incaís, and from the once great Greek cities to the lost Roman Empire, and indeed the temples in Laos and China that lay abandoned and bare witness to the folly of over exploiting our environment in the name of progress brings with it a heavy price to pay as the grim reaper calls on those that have empty bellies and no fertile soil to grow their crops in that once fed the builders of these magnificent follies and degraded the land to blow away in the winds. Then what about the dust bowel in America? Have we learned anything?

Offline NobodySavedMe

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 24/05/2008 20:03:53 »
My theory isn't to stop climate change. I wouldn't mind england being warmer during th summer, instead of having to pay to go to Spain for a tan!   

I just don't understand.People go to Spain to have a tan.Right?

Yet people who already have a tan,namely browns and blacks get subjected to vile racist abuse by these same people going to Spain to get a tan.

Could you explain this?

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/Trunko
« Reply #33 on: 25/05/2008 01:03:09 »
As far as reducing CO2 levels goes, we could launch an army of solar panels into space that would orbit the Earth and beam solar energy via lasers or masers to power stations on the ground. That way, cloudy days wouldn't be a problem for solar power any more (assuming that the wavelength of the laser beam was such that it wouldn't be blocked by the cloud cover).

There's this nifty website that talks about the potential of boron-powered cars that have no emissions, too: http://www.eagle.ca/~gcowan/boron_blast.html

sooyeah

« Reply #34 on: 11/06/2008 17:40:45 »
Had an idea today after listening to the radio, not a planet saving idea but an idea for the elderly, there is a woman currently living on a cruise liner, and she is seeing the world before she go's, she has been living on the QE2 for over 10 years I believe.

I just thought well couldn't you turn an old liner into a elderly resort, they would see the world, stay more active. It would have to be done properly, but all the nurses and staff get to see the world to, you could also have normal passengers, Just a thought.
« Last Edit: 11/06/2008 17:42:34 by JOLLY »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #34 on: 11/06/2008 17:40:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length