The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why are bugs attracted to light?  (Read 8170 times)

Offline Cujef

• First timers
    • View Profile
Why are bugs attracted to light?
« on: 27/09/2007 15:57:23 »
I was on the Naked Scientist show a few weeks ago, and asked the question of, "Why are bugs attracted to light?"

I was pleased with the answer you all gave me, but was looking to see if anyone else had some more potential answers, leads, or conclusions they could provide. I am still searching to find a definate answer and this question has intrigued me for years. Why is it that not just moths, but a majority of insects are constantly drawn to hang around light sources in the evenings. When walking outside at night, it is unavoidably seen that every street lamp, or flood light is almost covered entirely in insects. So, why is this?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27/09/2007 16:29:41 »
I believe it is the heat! It could also perhaps be that electrical buzz.. I am not sure!

Offline dkv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/09/2007 17:45:42 »
Whether we talk about the cold light or warm light in both the cases the insects get attracted.
These light sources in my opinion triggers a chemical reaction in the insects(eyes , brain and body parts are directly connected) ...
These chemical reaction produce a form of biological state which stands for pleasure.
Therefore they get attracted. This is an example of asexual pleasure. Moving from dark to light.
Note that mating or sex is not involved. Its just the chemical state which drives them into such acts.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/09/2007 17:48:53 »
That is interesting! Does this hold true with humans???

Offline dkv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27/09/2007 18:40:16 »
Humans sleep at night and work during dayhours.
Most of the sexual play involves some light.
But the crucial difference is in the wiring of perception and rest of physical body.
Although light may produces some degree of happiness,it is the brain which coordinates the all the senses.
Example candle light romance. Or extravangant use of light at entertainment parks or events.
During sexual play the beauty of female or male body produces gives greater pleasure.
=====
Some insects emit light naturally. This light is specially used to excite male or female member.
================
However I am not sure how much we can generalize this behaviour. The field work is missing. 

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27/09/2007 20:29:11 »
I wish the blimmin Daddy Long legs (Crane Flys) would leave the TV alone !!..they peeve me off at night !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28/09/2007 00:21:46 »
They migrate to the tv?? Hummm Neily do you have a picture of a cranefly as I know a daddy long leg as a spider not fly so what does your cranefly look lie!

We have trouble with moths that come in at night when it is hot and they swarm the tv and the lights! I turn one light on away from the tv to get them away to the light instead of the TV> But then I have a bug zapper on the porch but it is kinda gross it zaps them with electricity. I hate it but rob and the kids thought it was great! I have had it unplugged for months and the kids have not noticed now that they have all got jobs and are mostly gone except for laundry days! Bug zapper is lighted to attract them in too!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28/09/2007 00:29:43 »
Humans sleep at night and work during dayhours.
Most of the sexual play involves some light.
But the crucial difference is in the wiring of perception and rest of physical body.
Although light may produces some degree of happiness,it is the brain which coordinates the all the senses.
Example candle light romance. Or extravangant use of light at entertainment parks or events.
During sexual play the beauty of female or male body produces gives greater pleasure.
=====
Some insects emit light naturally. This light is specially used to excite male or female member.
================
However I am not sure how much we can generalize this behaviour. The field work is missing. 

My whole marriage sex was in the dark... LOL.. I hated it!
Interesting comparisons anyways!

Offline dkv

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28/09/2007 01:00:11 »
The comparisons are more than just interesting.
The eyes as an organ tend to define its own objectives.
Ears , Nose and Hands too.
And it is the mind which coordinates. Sometimes it goes against the wishes of individual senses for collective benefit of TSP.
Darkness is ok if there are other favourable attributes.
We can however make some overall observations.

Offline 95vtec

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05/11/2009 05:39:23 »
Notice how spiders tend to build their webs around the lights to catch more bugs.  Pretty smart.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #10 on: 05/11/2009 07:25:44 »
Notice how spiders tend to build their webs around the lights to catch more bugs.  Pretty smart.

Take a look at this thread. http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=25176.0

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 05/11/2009 07:25:44 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums