The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What Kind of new technology is out there in the area of Bionics?  (Read 3523 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

YAYYYYYYYYYY! New Technology thread!

This has always interested me. I have seen some new things

in the ways of prosthetics but what new things have you

seen that you can share with me?

I would like to know about limb replacements and the newest

moves if any to bionics  in this matter!

Offline engrByDayPianstByNight

• View Profile
Karen, MIT has some recent work on prosthetics that might interest you:

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2007/prosthetics-1002.html

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks! I have a prosthetic leg and it seems to me that it would be awkward but it is several years old. I will check it out and see whats new Thanks...

Whoops I should clarify that the Prothesesis lives in my closet, its not mine was my Uncles. Such a very expensive thing to throw out, I was hoping that it could be used by someone else who could not afford it. Problem being that most are custom made and it would have to be a person of the same build and height and I have had no luck trying to find it a home. does anyone know of a place that takes them in for alterations and reuse, I know it cost several thousands of dollars!

Thanks for the link!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I find this incredible absolutely incredible!

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2007/prosthetics-1002.html

"Trauma and disease can lead to paralysis or amputation, reducing the ability to move or talk despite the capacity to think and form intentions. In spinal cord injuries, strokes, and diseases such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's disease), the neurons that carry commands from the brain to muscle can be injured. In amputation, both nerves and muscle are lost.

Neural prosthetic devices represent an engineer's approach to treating paralysis and amputation. Here, electronics are used to monitor the neural signals that reflect an individual's intentions for the prosthesis or computer they are trying to use. Algorithms form the link between neural signals that are recorded and the user's intentions that are decoded to drive the prosthetic device."

They have come so far from only a few years ago.. Really thanks for the link I will continue to read it..I am not done yet!

Offline engrByDayPianstByNight

• View Profile
Well, you could also read their paper published in Journal of Neurophysiology. It seems a very theoretical work in this paper, more of a proposed common platform on which different approaches of neural prosthetics can be modeled, rather than an actual invention of a new device.

As to the prosthetic leg, I can think of two things you can try. Either donate it to the American Red Cross or, if you live nearby a university with a medical school, they may be willing to get take it off your hands for their research/lecture purposes.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I tried red cross here they said no! It has to be individually fitted! But I never tried the school I have used it in my school gathering of information for the smaller children to see things like this and not be afraid of it and to understand better how they can help others who have otherwise lost a limb or never had one..

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums