The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Oral Thrush  (Read 5446 times)

Offline JustineH

• View Profile
Oral Thrush
« on: 28/09/2007 23:23:49 »
What causes Oral Thrush?
How does one get rid of it permently?   [:0]

paul.fr

Oral Thrush
« Reply #1 on: 28/09/2007 23:32:06 »
isn't it a fugus? If it is than anti-fungal medications...i guess. sorry i could not contribute more.

Offline JustineH

• View Profile
Oral Thrush
« Reply #2 on: 29/09/2007 01:11:12 »
did you mean fungus or was it fugus?  never heard of fugus.  :)
 [O8)]

Offline Quantum_Vaccuum

• The Base Of Chemistry
    • View Profile
Oral Thrush
« Reply #3 on: 29/09/2007 05:03:01 »
isn't it a fugus? If it is than anti-fungal medications...i guess. sorry i could not contribute more.

you could heat it up to intense tempatures, to kill fungi, but it wouldn't exactly be: ligitament

another_someone

Oral Thrush
« Reply #4 on: 29/09/2007 15:53:13 »
All thrushes (apart from the avian variety) are fungal growths.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Oral Thrush
« Reply #5 on: 29/09/2007 17:48:00 »
Thrush is caused by yeasts, typically Candida species, that are often part of the normal mucosal "flora" but present only at very low densities.

Anything that alters the normal mucosal environment can trigger the yeasts to overgrow and produce symptoms. This can occur in the mouth, anus or vagina where the yeast deposits usually form focal white plaques on the mucous membrane. The term "cottage cheese" is often used to describe the appearance and consistency of the yeast growths.

Changes in the mucosal environment are often the consequene of using antibiotics that kill commensal (good) bacteria, immunosuppressive drugs (including the inhaled steroids used to treat asthma), some oral contraceptives, diseases that affect the functioning of the immune system, and diabetes mellitus, which alters immune function and also increases growth of micro-organisms secondary to high glucose levels.

To prevent thrush try to avoid the triggers. If you are using inhaled steroids (like beclamethasone) for asthma or chest complaints, then rinse out your mouth after using your inhaler. If long-term immunosuppression is a problem then some anti-fungal lozenges such as nystatin pastilles can help. If this is a new problem then it might be worth getting it checked to ensure that there is not something more serious underlying it.

Chris

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
Oral Thrush
« Reply #6 on: 29/09/2007 19:05:22 »
I believe on of the best ways of getting rid of thrush is by using yoghurt!

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Oral Thrush
« Reply #7 on: 29/09/2007 20:49:52 »
Unfortunately I think this is largely a myth; the yoghurt might ease the symptoms locally by cooling and relieving irritation, but I don't think there's any evidence that it alters the course of the infection. But if I'm wrong, please do tell me!

Chris

Offline Quantum_Vaccuum

• The Base Of Chemistry
    • View Profile
Oral Thrush
« Reply #8 on: 29/09/2007 20:50:57 »
y would yourgurt help?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Oral Thrush
« Reply #9 on: 29/09/2007 21:39:04 »
"Live" yoghurt contains Lactobacilli sp., which are also the predominant family of commensal bacteria found in the vagina. On this basis some have suggested treating cases of thrush by inserting a tampon dipped in yoghurt into the vagina. (Natural yoghurt, I hasten to add).

However, whilst it's a nice theory I'm not sure it's medically or scientifically valid. Canesten cream or a clotrimazole pessary are probably more effective (and less messy) alternatives!

Chris

The Naked Scientists Forum

Oral Thrush
« Reply #9 on: 29/09/2007 21:39:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums