The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Cut my balls off to save my hair ?  (Read 13290 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Cut my balls off to save my hair ?
« on: 11/06/2004 23:21:04 »
Is it true that castration prevents hair loss ?

I am in no way considering this but have noticed through the years of owning many cats that when I had them 'sorted' their fur remained (errr...that's a joke by the way)....but...getting back to my original question.....is it a testosterone thing happening here or what ?

Your hairy testicular answers are most welcome.

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'  

Offline MooseHole

• View Profile
Re: Cut my balls off to save my hair ?
« Reply #1 on: 12/06/2004 00:19:30 »
I have a similar question.  I recently had a vasectomy.  Since I won't be using testosterone to produce sperm anymore (or is it used for that?), will I have a more abundant supply of testosterone in my system, and therefore be more likely to go bald?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/06/2004 01:24:40 »
Good one MooseHole...lets share this question and hope that some nice medical orientated biolgical type people give us the answers we crave.....and congrats on your vasectomy.

Offline Rokitansky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/06/2004 18:23:54 »
Here is about baldyness:

It is geneticaly determined, and testosteron dependent.
Girls, and castrated men, must have both genes in their gene locus mutated (i.e. in the form that causes boldness). If thay have one "normal" and one "boldy " gene it will have hair.

Males (not castrated) have a problem in that in both cases will be bald. that is thay must be homozygotes for normal gene ( both alels normal) in order not to be bold. That`s why there are many more bald men than women.
« Last Edit: 12/06/2004 18:24:55 by Rokitansky »

Offline Rokitansky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/06/2004 18:28:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by MooseHole

I have a similar question.  I recently had a vasectomy.  Since I won't be using testosterone to produce sperm anymore (or is it used for that?), will I have a more abundant supply of testosterone in my system, and therefore be more likely to go bald?

No, becouse anyway you would have enough testosteron to be bald if you are genetically determined. In fact, I think that you testosteron production will be even smaller after vasectomy, though it could be usefull to here someone elses comment on that.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13/06/2004 08:30:29 »
My understanding was that testosterone levels are supposed to remain higher for longer in men who have had vasectomies, thus leading to a higher rate of prostate cancer.

Offline MooseHole

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14/06/2004 17:41:02 »
Hmm, something to look forward to...

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14/06/2004 19:55:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by MooseHole

Hmm, something to look forward to...

Don't worry about it moosehole.....if you've read recent reports,then you'll know that as long as you keep ' knocking one off ' ( I assume you know what I mean :D )each night then it will help reduce the risk , it's been proven to drastically reduce the chances of getting prostate cancer.

There is some blurb about it on this site somewhere.

Here's the link...blatantly nicked from the ' harmful effects of masturbation ' thread
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993942

« Last Edit: 14/06/2004 20:44:42 by neilep »

Offline MooseHole

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14/06/2004 22:12:43 »
Well that's good.  I guess I can assume that people with prostate cancer don't get it very often?

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14/06/2004 23:15:21 »
Take Saw Palmetto as a preventive measure if you're worried about prostate cancer.

Offline MooseHole

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14/06/2004 23:32:59 »
If all I have to do is knock at least one off every day, I'm pretty sure I don't have to worry about it.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15/06/2004 02:47:18 »
Believe it or not guys, when your testosterone levels drop, somewhere in your fifties, you might not want to knock one off every night.

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15/06/2004 03:27:26 »
I can't wait.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15/06/2004 03:33:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by Donnah

Take Saw Palmetto as a preventive measure if you're worried about prostate cancer.

I can personally attest to the fact that Saw Palmetto works wonders for keeping the prostate from trying to compete with a grapefruit in size.  

Also, I've heard that men who take Selenium cut their risk of prostate cancer by a factor of four, and the ones who do develop cancer cut their risk of the more aggressive forms by a large (un-remembered) factor.  This also holds for other types of cancer, but the differences are less well studied.

As for the vasectomy and hormone production, I've never noticed a difference.  The doc said there was none, because the part he removed didn't have anything to do with testosterone production or distribution.  It was just the "sperm road".

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #14 on: 15/06/2004 10:17:25 »
Males who have been castrated, either chemically or surgically, do not go bald. This is because large numbers of men carry the gene for androgenic alopecia or 'male pattern baldness'.

Over time, exposure to a testosterone derivative called DHT - dihydrotestosterone - which is made from testosterone by an enzyme called 5-alpha reductase - leads to the loss of hair follicles in the characteristic distribution of a 'receeding hairline'. It is not entirely clear why nor how this happens, or indeed why hair follicles in specific parts of the body and scalp are more sensitive than others.

What we do know is that if testosterone is removed from the body (by castration), or the activity of 5-alpha-reductase is blocked using drugs (see finasteride below), then hair thinning ceases.

Interestingly, prostate enlargement is also caused by DHT and can be treated with the drug finasteride which blocks the action of 5-alpha-reductase. A side effect is that hair loss stops. Some young men are willing to forego the potential impact on their sex life (erectile dysfunction, reduced libido, reduction in ejaculate volume) of taking finasteride, in order to preserve their hair.

This article on the site discusses androgenic alopecia :

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/articles/article/dalyacolumn3.htm

chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14 on: 15/06/2004 10:17:25 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums