The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Chicken Pox- A hereditary disease?  (Read 20480 times)

another_someone

Chicken Pox- A hereditary disease?
« Reply #25 on: 29/09/2007 22:06:15 »
chris and iko... you're both doctors, right?

Exactly so.

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29/09/2007 22:14:38 »

Paediatric varicella hospitalisations in France: a nationwide survey.

Grimprel E, Levy C, de La Rocque F, Cohen R, Soubeyrand B, Caulin E, Derrough T, Lecuyer A, d'Athis P, Gaudelus J; Pediatricians Working Group.
Groupe de Pathologie Infectieuse Pédiatrique de la Société Française de Pédiatrie, Paris, France. emmanuel.grimprel@trs.ap-hop-paris.fr

Paediatric patients hospitalised with varicella (n = 1575) were reported to a French national network between March 2003 and July 2005. Superinfection was identified in 50.3% of cases, principally of skin and soft-tissue (36.5%).
The risk of superinfection increased with fever relapse, use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, prolonged fever, an age of 1-5 years, and contamination at the childminder's home. Neurological complications were observed in 7.8% of cases, while pulmonary complications were less frequent (3.1%). Forty-nine patients had sequelae and eight patients died. Surveillance should continue in France with a view to the future implementation of a universal vaccination programme.

Clin Microbiol Infect. 2007 May;13(5):546-9.

Offline dkv

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29/09/2007 23:37:52 »

The best time to catch VZV is actually in the first 6 months of life. During this time infants carry their mother's antibodies and therefore develop only a mild infection. After 6 months, when maternal antibody has decayed away, the manifestations are more severe.

Chris

Chris, this is the reason parents used to gather all of their kids together for a "pox party", isn't it?
Is this without logic?

Offline dkv

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29/09/2007 23:39:39 »
LET US UNDERSTAND THE DISEASE AND MEDICINE PART
Failure to treat zoster with antiviral medication may increase the likelihood of postherpetic neuralgia. However, one study suggests this is not the case in young, otherwise healthy individuals.

The training of immune system involves some real excercise. But overall the study suggests that it  doesnt harm if the case is young.

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30/09/2007 05:48:15 »
Another attempt with corrections:

Yes the best time to catch the Virus according to doctors is in the first 6 months of life.

This is not correct.
You should add a citation-source-reference at least in one out of 4 statements of yours.
Probably you meant that in the first 6 months an infant is partially protected by specific IgG antibodies anti-HHV-3 passed by the immunized mother.  More IgGs are available if the baby is breastfed.

ikod

Ops. Me apologize and go back to my corner with me english textbook.
I thought that 'best time' meant higher incidence-risk of infection.
Me sorry back to my corny cod liver oil story.

ikod   [:-[]
« Last Edit: 30/09/2007 05:50:08 by iko »

Offline dkv

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 30/09/2007 06:18:41 »
amazing kids.

Offline jordan23

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19/10/2007 17:41:45 »
Most childhood diseases tend to occur around the age children start going to school or kindergarten.
newbielink:http://www.pqdvd.com/windows-mobile-tv.html [nonactive]
newbielink:http://www.pqdvd.com/windows-mobile-tv.html [nonactive]

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #31 on: 19/10/2007 17:41:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums