The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: There's a whole lot of hole up there ! (an ozone question)  (Read 10527 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Hi Peeps,

See this hole in the Ozone from 2003 ?

Well, I'm not happy about it !!..I don't want holes in my ozone !!

Though, I already have an 'OH' zone with a hole in it !!..LOL *smaks own face*

My questions are this.

can we fix it ?...will it heal by itself ?..can we know if there has always been an ozone hole or is it proven to ne human made ?...can't we just patch it up ?...does this mean that there is NO ozone protection whatsoever in that hole ?

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
There's a whole lot of hole up there ! (an ozone question)
« Reply #1 on: 01/10/2007 19:58:26 »
Good Question... I thought they found out that some of the problem was human  and cows, and natural, but I don't know the details. I thought it was going to happen weather we stopped polluting or not because of the natural coarse of things!

paul.fr

« Reply #2 on: 02/10/2007 14:49:17 »
As Karen sort of said, there is a natural process of ozone depletion, although there is also a natural process that makes ozone. The problem is "we" have produced so many gasses that are aiding the ozone depletion.

My own, rather basic understanding is that atmospheric currants carry the pollutants, such as CFC's and bromine to the poles. Once there they degrade in to chlorine and chlorine monoxide, and attack the ozone converting it back in to oxygen. Each atom of chlorine can convert up to 100,000 ozone molecules back in to oxygen, which gives you some idea why chlorine is so bad.

This happens at both of the poles, during their winters. It happens in the winter because during this time there are PCS clouds (polar stratospheric clouds). These clouds help to concentrate the pollutants, thus elevating the rate of depletion.

It is also known that sea salt contains bromine, a natural process, but it is thought that adding it to roads during the winter (gritting) also contributes to the ozone depletion.

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 02/10/2007 16:30:45 »
The problem is, as far as I am aware, we have no historic record to show what are the historic ozone cycles (is it reasonable to assume that ozone has always at constant levels?).

It does happen to some extent at both poles, but predominantly at the south pole because we have a large continent isolated by seas all around that cause air and water currents to be able to entirely loop around the continent, and so reduce the amount the air over Antarctica can mix with the air in the rest of the globe (not a problem in the Arctic).  One might even aks whether the exaggerated effect over Antarctica might even help protect the rest of the globe from similar effects, by trapping halogens over that area of the globe.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 02/10/2007 16:30:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums