The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can Anything Ever Be Actually ' STILL' ?  (Read 3847 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Can Anything Ever Be Actually ' STILL' ?
« on: 02/10/2007 13:46:27 »
When I was a kid (last week)...we used to play a game called 'Statues' ..I was good...I remained still !!..but I wasn't really still was I ?

Is anything in the Universe ' still '....?...is ' Still ' impossible ?....I do realise that everything moves in relation to other things but ...well...you know what I mean yes ?

*taps fingers*....Still waiting for an answer !!!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 02/10/2007 14:03:38 »
Hey.. when I was a kid we played a game called swinging statues where your older sib or other sibs would swing you around and let you go you had to maintain the position you landed in...Then I can't quite remember who decided what you were what kind if a statue that is, or even how the game progressed..

I can't think of anything that is truly still except maybe rocks, but they would be moving with the earth but dependent of it is where I think it may be still although I am sure technically, it might in some way move so slowly we don't detect it forming mountains breaking down etc. all though the earth moving up would be the cause of mountain building I believe. I don't know for sure!

« Last Edit: 02/10/2007 21:30:11 by Karen W. »

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 02/10/2007 18:27:41 »
Since all ordinary matter is composed of fermions, and so Pauli's exclusion principle comes into play which means that would mean that each of the particles must have either a different spin or a different energy level.

lyner

« Reply #3 on: 02/10/2007 21:08:02 »
'Still' with respect to what?

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 02/10/2007 21:20:15 »

With respect to everything else.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/10/2007 21:31:38 »

Thats what I was wondering?

lyner

« Reply #6 on: 03/10/2007 10:14:39 »
Do you mean the 'centre of mass of everything else'?
'Cos everything else is on  the move, individually, relative to all the rest..
IF you go along with that idea, the thing that was at rest would have to be an isolated particle - say a proton - because, in an object (many atoms) the atoms are all vibrating.

Anyway, I thought we had, recently, established that there isn't really a centre to the universe - so how can there be a centre of mass? The centre of mass would be anywhere you chose - so, something there (i.e. anything anywhere) could be looked upon as stationary.
Go on - sort me out.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #7 on: 03/10/2007 12:16:56 »
The terrible truth is that all the electrons in the universe have different energies but if you have two hydrogen atoma that are a "long way away" from each other (as they are most gases)  the energy levels are as near as dammit the same.  but in solids where the atoma are quite close together the outer energy levels ate strongly disturbed but the iner electrons are virtually unaffected

another_someone

« Reply #8 on: 03/10/2007 13:27:29 »
Do you mean the 'centre of mass of everything else'?
'Cos everything else is on  the move, individually, relative to all the rest..
IF you go along with that idea, the thing that was at rest would have to be an isolated particle - say a proton - because, in an object (many atoms) the atoms are all vibrating.

Anyway, I thought we had, recently, established that there isn't really a centre to the universe - so how can there be a centre of mass? The centre of mass would be anywhere you chose - so, something there (i.e. anything anywhere) could be looked upon as stationary.
Go on - sort me out.

All motion is relative - and what you regard as stationary is wholly arbitrary.

If you take two bodies on a collision course, and have no external reference - then you can argue till the cows come home as to whether body A is stationary, and body B is approaching it, or body B is stationary and body A is moving, or if they are both moving.

In the universe as a whole, there can be no external reference, so all you have is very, very large (10 with lots and lots of noughts after it) number of particles, each moving with respect to every other particle.  You can, if you choose, arbitrarily regard one of those particles as being stationary, and regard every other particle to be moving with reference to that particle, but which particle (if any) you choose as your stationary point of reference is wholly arbitrary.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03/10/2007 20:18:01 »
Is anything in the Universe ' still '....?.
Everything.
You don't believe me? Ok, I'll prove it. Choose an arbitrary body. Does it move? No problem! I put myself in a frame of reference which has exactly the same body's velocity, and that body will be totally still with respect to me.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 03/10/2007 20:18:01 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums