The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Want to learn to cook with Daniel?  (Read 17047 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Want to learn to cook with Daniel?
« Reply #50 on: 30/07/2008 23:10:15 »
That sounds good Rosalind!

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 31/07/2008 00:36:01 »
That sounds good Rosalind!

Karen I've not tried it yet. If it works then I'll try to remember to take photos of the raw chicken and roast chicken.
But I am not very good at remembering to take the camera with me into the kitchen. oops. LOL

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 31/07/2008 03:02:17 »
just for Kadie, who likes pears and of course also for Karen - the resident cordon-bleu chef of distinction

and for anyone else that loooooooves, well, simply good food  ;D

Pear cake
now, in my native Switzerland this masterpiece is actually called (take a deep breath)
Van Ribbecks Birnentraum - which roughly translates as Mr. Van Ribbeck once had a dream.... about birnen / pears

Now, I don't do imperial or other weird measurements; with conversions you're on your own  ;)

• mix 125g castor sugar, 6 egg yolks (ohhh the arteries love that) and grated peel of 1/2 lemon (use unwaxed organic and even then scrub it really good) Mix and blend it all together until the mixture changes to a very light colour, then divide the mixture evenly betweentwo
  • add 50g good quality melted chocolate carefully to one of the bowls
  • beat together until very stiff 6 egg whites, 1 pinch of salt, 1 pinch of baking powder. Add 2 spoons of sugar and continue beating for a little while longer. The mix goes really glossy
  • 150g flour
  • take half of the stiff egg white and half of the flour and divide them again between the two bowls, fold the individual mixtures together carefully.
  • first fill the dark (chocolate mix) into your round cake tin, then put two layers of baking paper cut to size on top, followed by the white layer. They bake together

The recipe is for a round cake form of approx 24cm diameter. Grease and flour the tin well or cover with baking paper.
Bake approx 40mins at 180C.

Filling:

• mix 2 eggyolk, 100g sugar, 1 teaspon vanilla sugar until creamy, light and soft
  • add to that 1/2 lemon, juice and grated peel; 300 g double cream or creme freche if you preferr, 2-3 tablespoons pear liquor if you have but which you can also leave out. Mix together
  • put 4 leaves of good quality gelatine in cold water for 5 minutes, then squeeze the water out gently then add to the above mixture. That makes the filling cream.
  • blend together 2dl whipped cream + 2 stiff egg whites and fold into the above mixture. Put into the fridge until just before use on the cooled cake
  • 4 pears, peeled cored and cooked soft in a little water

Take the cool cake and separate the layers carefully.
Cut the 'white' layer into halves with a wire cutter and put the base layer down.
Cover with 1/3 of the filling cream, then add the dark cake layer.
Put the cooked pears on top of the dark layer and cover with another 1/3 of the filling cream.
Put the final layer of cake on top.
The remaining cream filling spread along the outside of the cake and then gently press roasted flaked almonds into it.
Refrigerate to set for approx. 3 hours.

It's well worth the effort!!!  ;D ;D

This recipe shall help me with all my pears this year.. I have a pear tree that at this moment is absolutely weighed down so low with pears I worry the branches won't hold the fruit by the time it is ripe,,,Yummmy thanks Alandriel... where are you and how are you doing?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 31/07/2008 03:06:15 »
The next time that I do roast a whole chicken for myself to last for a week.

I'll buy one apple that I'll core then stuff the middle with some fresh root ginger then stuff that into the middle of the chicken to give it an extra tang.

Also I usually put some of my own hone-grown bay leaves underneath the skin with some lemon too.

Mirage give it a try and surprise your mum.

It sounds good Rosalind do you use any Garlic in it?

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 31/07/2008 13:00:35 »
The next time that I do roast a whole chicken for myself to last for a week.

I'll buy one apple that I'll core then stuff the middle with some fresh root ginger then stuff that into the middle of the chicken to give it an extra tang.

Also I usually put some of my own hone-grown bay leaves underneath the skin with some lemon too.

It sounds good Rosalind do you use any Garlic in it?

Karen yes I do use Garlic cloves in the chicken as I do in a lot of things.
It's rather yummy and good for thinning the blood, just like onions are.

What foods do you use Garlic in your cooking?

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 31/07/2008 13:09:41 »
Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries                      

When you’re preparing strawberries, rinse with their stalks intact and hull afterward to stop them getting waterlogged.

They needed little tarting up – just quarter if large, pop in a serving bowl and accompany with a jug of single cream.

But if you want an indulgent treat, coat whole strawberries in chocolate.
Break up a 100g bar each of milk, white and dark chocolate and side – by - side in one bowl keeping one as separate as you can.

Melt over a pan of hot water, then dip each strawberry into the chocolate, holding it by its stalk.

Arrange in a shallow bowl to serve – or let everyone dunk the berries themselves.
This is enough chocolate for around 700g (1˝lb) strawberries.

Offline Mirage

• Neilep Level Member
  • Dry Hump anyone?
    • View Profile
    • http://brokenzanymind.blogspot.com/
« Reply #56 on: 31/07/2008 16:34:06 »

Which one though ;)

Mind you, my mum would be surprised if I popped a pizza in the oven for everyone ;)

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 31/07/2008 17:09:36 »

Which one though ;)

Mind you, my mum would be surprised if I popped a pizza in the oven for everyone ;)

Daniel Have another read of the thread and print off some of the recipes that interest you, I hope that if you get stuck we will help you out.

Offline Mirage

• Neilep Level Member
  • Dry Hump anyone?
    • View Profile
    • http://brokenzanymind.blogspot.com/
« Reply #58 on: 31/07/2008 17:12:31 »

Which one though ;)

Daniel Have another read of the thread and print off some of the recipes that interest you, I hope that if you get stuck we will help you out.

I like the sound of all of them really, well, apart from fish ones.
I'll definitely have to give some a try, or even pass them on to my mum ;)

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 31/07/2008 17:42:22 »
Daniel why not try the recipes out first and then pass them over to your MUm. Surprise her.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 31/07/2008 18:47:35 »

Which one though ;)

I like the sound of all of them really, well, apart from fish ones.
I'll definitely have to give some a try, or even pass them on to my mum ;)

I remember you don't care for fish Like me ! I'm coming for dinner Daniel.. what you going to cook for me?

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 31/07/2008 20:14:36 »
But fish is good for you, the vitamins in the oily fish.

such as mackerel or salmon mmmmm

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #61 on: 31/07/2008 20:14:36 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums