The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: windows vista, the security of.  (Read 89627 times)

paul.fr

windows vista, the security of.
« on: 05/10/2007 14:43:31 »
How good is the firewall that comes bundled with vista? Should i get another "just to be safe". Also does anyone reccomend a good antivirus programme that is vista compatable?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 05/10/2007 15:25:04 »
Are you connected through a router or just DSL modem?

paul.fr

« Reply #2 on: 05/10/2007 15:26:47 »
Are you connected through a router or just DSL modem?

all three are through a router, two on xp and one with vista.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/10/2007 15:32:11 »
Then you should be OK with the bundled firewall.

paul.fr

« Reply #4 on: 05/10/2007 15:35:19 »
Cheers Doc, i do like to have lots of security!

One quick q, if i may. where is the "run" facility in vista? I only got the machine yesterday and it is loading too many things at startup. How and where do i configure these to not run at startup in vista?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05/10/2007 15:37:09 »
Control panel -> Change start up programs
« Last Edit: 05/10/2007 15:41:10 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline Nobody's Confidant

• Neilep Level Member
  • So loud silence can be.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05/10/2007 17:25:48 »
"If you don't buy windows vista, we'll kill this dog"

Love that slogan!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05/10/2007 18:17:35 »
Make sure you get the Vista upgrade that actually works properly. It's called Linux!

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #8 on: 05/10/2007 19:54:49 »
If you want to buy vista then  the cheapest way is to buy it and download it from sites in the USA as its half the price compared to the UK.

You can get Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit COMPLETE for  88 which is cheap,very cheap.

However i dont like vista its crap and i prefer XP.

Also the windows firewall isnt good enough and i wouldnt trust the Vista 1 either.

« Last Edit: 05/10/2007 20:00:10 by ukmicky »

another_someone

« Reply #9 on: 05/10/2007 20:27:40 »
I have not had anything to do with Vista to date - too much bloatware - would require a more powerful machine, which then consumes more power, and generates more heat (as it is, it can get hot in the summer with all my computers switched on, and these days when I put together a computer I try and look at power consumption and heat output as one of the criteria).  Then again, I suppose if you are heavily into games, you would be looking for a lot of heat generation from your computer anyway.

My experience of XP is that if you already have NATing (as you almost certainly would have if you are using a router), then the built in firewall has little benefit (I have zonealarm installed, since critically that moniotored outbound traffic as well as inbound traffic).

As for anti-virus - the first question is whether you are using 32 bit or 64 bit vista?  Don't know for sure about vista, but for XP, support for 64 bit was somewhat more restricted (why I went back to 32 bit - although the problem was more with printer drivers than with anti-virus).

I would think that all of the current anti-virus software that works on XP should work of Vista (may not have done in the first few months of vista, but should do by now).  My own preference (and I know a good few who are happy with it) is AVG, but the lack of 64 bit support when I was playing with XP64 meant that I install Avast on that.  Both are free downloads.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05/10/2007 23:12:52 »
Micky - that's why I asked about a router. If using just a DSL modem I would certainly advise more than just the Windows firewall. But routers have good firewalls in them anyway so adding another is pretty much superfluous.

As for anti-virus, I too use Avast.

another_someone

« Reply #11 on: 06/10/2007 03:27:10 »
Micky - that's why I asked about a router. If using just a DSL modem I would certainly advise more than just the Windows firewall. But routers have good firewalls in them anyway so adding another is pretty much superfluous.

As for anti-virus, I too use Avast.

Hardware firewalls and software firewalls serve two subtly different functions.

Certainly, in terms of blocking inbound ports to prevent hackers getting in, they are both doing roughly the same job; but where a software firewall (such as ZoneAlarm, but not the built in XP firewall) does a job that a hardware firewall cannot do is to track outbound traffic.  This is important not so much in blocking hackers from getting into your machine, but in helping detect them if by chance they have got in.  It monitors every program that is trying to make an outside connection, and if any program that should not be trying to make an outside connection tries to do so (possibly because it has become infected by a virus), it will notify you.  Since a hardware firewall cannot monitor individual programs, it cannot perform this task.

Where hardware firewalls (not simple NATing, but more sophisticated firewalls) really excel is in protecting against packet spoofing and denial of service attacks (even they are not immune to such attacks, but software firewalls will not even begin to cope with these threats).

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06/10/2007 08:57:04 »
I've got a program that hides my ports & another that monitors outgoing traffic. They're not firewalls as such, they just deal with the ports.

I've got another that keeps a metaphorical eye on the registry & informs me if an unauthorised program tries to alter it.

On top of that, I've got a few progs that run at startup and/or shutdown & check for system/registry changes. I get a list of changes and if there are any I don't recognise I can undo those specific changes. I have to manually say which changes to undo but it's a lot better than having to roll back the whole system & losing any legitimately installed software.

It takes me a few extra clicks to install stuff, but I think it's worth it. I've had no malware for almost 2 years now.
« Last Edit: 06/10/2007 08:58:35 by DoctorBeaver »

lyner

« Reply #13 on: 06/10/2007 23:09:57 »
Macos 10.4 is pretty solid!

Offline Quantum_Vaccuum

• The Base Of Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07/10/2007 19:47:11 »
dont get vista, it has verry little backwards compatability, it is very slow and takes up more than 2 times RAM we have now, stick with XP.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07/10/2007 20:04:21 »
dont get vista, it has verry little backwards compatability, it is very slow and takes up more than 2 times RAM we have now, stick with XP.

That's the most sensible recommendation since I mentioned Linux

lyner

« Reply #16 on: 08/10/2007 12:18:49 »
but have you ever  lived with Macos?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08/10/2007 13:04:52 »

Not recently

another_someone

« Reply #18 on: 08/10/2007 14:02:44 »

Is not the current Macos just a variant of Linux?

Offline Quantum_Vaccuum

• The Base Of Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09/10/2007 01:26:04 »
Did u mean Macantosh, or Macos, i've never heard of Macos, and I am one of the many that perfer PCs

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09/10/2007 05:22:46 »
Is it possible to buy a new laptop with XP instead of Vista?  If so, I haven't found a way to do it.  Or should I just suck it up, quit bi***** about it and deal with Vista?

paul.fr

« Reply #21 on: 09/10/2007 05:33:57 »
I never wanted vista, but my new laptop came with it. I think its great, but i do like shiney, sleek sexy things. Thanks by the way to all who have contributed here, i was not aware that 3rd party av and spyware software had become vista ready.

another_someone

« Reply #22 on: 09/10/2007 05:38:53 »
Is it possible to buy a new laptop with XP instead of Vista?  If so, I haven't found a way to do it.  Or should I just suck it up, quit bi***** about it and deal with Vista?

At present, Microsoft have said several times they will stop allowing XP to be shipped with new computers, and several times have been forced to relent - so at least some manufacturers are still shipping their machines with XP.

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09/10/2007 05:43:02 »
I never wanted vista, but my new laptop came with it. I think its great, but i do like shiney, sleek sexy things. Thanks by the way to all who have contributed here, i was not aware that 3rd party av and spyware software had become vista ready.

I looked at a few laptops last week with Vista.  The one I'm leaning towards is very shiny, sleek and sexy and the graphics were incredible!  That's what I'll probably go with, but I do tend to be afraid of things I'm not familiar with.

lyner

« Reply #24 on: 09/10/2007 22:30:03 »
Is not the current Macos just a variant of Linux?
Rather based on a form / subset of Unix.
No one ever tried to sell Linux on the basis that it looked nice and was a joy to use.
It is popular with cogniscenti rather than 'users'. It's none the worse for that but that is how it is different from Macos.
I ran red hat linux for a while, after installing it in an elderly Power Mac but it was too much like hard work to make it a lifestyle.
I hope Vista is an advance on XP. The Windows thing is heading in the right direction, I think.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 09/10/2007 22:30:03 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums