The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the basis of verb tenses?  (Read 3092 times)

Offline hamza

• View Profile
    • Blog Hamxa
What is the basis of verb tenses?
« on: 05/10/2007 16:40:56 »
I was wondering the other day that if there were no past, present and future. I mean what if they were just our way of manipulating things. What if we are not even born or what if we are dead at this very moment in a wide perspective. Maybe past present future were not constant as they are constantly changing.. I wonder if i make any sense here and sound crazy but thats what i was thinking.. Does anyone else thinks it n this weird manner. ;D
« Last Edit: 09/10/2007 08:42:00 by chris »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Re: What is the basis of verb tenses?
« Reply #1 on: 05/10/2007 18:09:30 »
I'm not sure what you mean  ???

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/10/2007 18:54:19 »
i agree with the doc

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/10/2007 19:55:08 »
I was wondering the other day that if there were no past, present and future. I mean what if they were just our way of manipulating things. What if we are not even born or what if we are dead at this very moment in a wide perspective. Maybe past present future were not constant as they are constantly changing.. I wonder if i make any sense here and sound crazy but thats what i was thinking.. Does anyone else thinks it n this weird manner. ;D

If I wished to be poetic, I would say that:

"past, present and future are just an illusion; everything, every possibility already exists somewhere, as all the frames of a film; we perceive the frames with a specific sequence, so making us believe there is a time which flows, but actually all the frames are already there, in the film..."

But as a science-student, I would say: don't know.
« Last Edit: 05/10/2007 19:57:54 by lightarrow »

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 05/10/2007 20:52:01 »
As I would view it is to say that time is in essence just a fiction that reflects our narrow view of the 4th dimension - which in some ways is what i think Hamza is saying.

To say that everything exists, or nothing exists, or what exists when, is ultimately meaningless. All that really counts is what we know, not what might exist as a reality outside of our knowledge.

If we look at a 2 dimensional picture, we can see all of it instantaneous - or to be more precise, all of the information about it exists in our brain as if it were contemporaneous.

Now think of this same picture, but with a curtain over it.  Within that curtain, there is a very thin vertical slit, and all we can see of the picture is what we can see through this slit.  Now, think of this slit slowly traversing the picture from left to right - that is what time is like, it is a slit throw which we see the entire picture.  As the slit moves from left to right, we remember what is on the left, and that we call the past.  as we see more and more of the picture, we begin to build up an expectation of what we are going to see next - and that is what science is about - it is looking to what we remember on the left of the picture, and trying to guess what we will see on the right of the picture.

There is in fact no way we can say whether the entire picture exists all of the time, or of the bit that is hidden by the curtain on the left has disintegrated after it got hidden by the curtain, and the bit on the right has not yet been created until the slit passes over it.  All we know is that in our own minds, we can see this slit in time, and try and build a complete picture through a combination of memory and expectation.

Offline hamza

• View Profile
    • Blog Hamxa
« Reply #5 on: 06/10/2007 08:30:15 »
Thanx another_someo. U made it very coceivable in a beautiful manner. Thats exactly what i was thinking.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 06/10/2007 08:30:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length