The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Just saying HELLO, newbie here ~ come in for a chat and assorted cookies... :)  (Read 53104 times)

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
 :)I actually thought I was done with messageboards .... famous last words!

You've got a really interesting and nice place here.
I think I'll stay a while and get to know you better.

Anyone having tea and cookies? 

.... chocolate ones if possible...;D

Alandriel is the name, wanderer and dabbler in all sorts of things. Forever interested in pretty much everything. A bit of a jack of all trades and a master..... well, of a few things I'd like to believe. But then I always meet someone to knows even more than I do - and that keeps the whole thing interesting  ;D

.. oh yes - and I like chocolate

but then don't blame me: I'm Swiss (though sometimes I'm not so sure about that anymore....)

[edited to change the title a bit]

« Last Edit: 08/10/2007 19:30:14 by Alandriel »

Offline Mirage

• Neilep Level Member
  • Dry Hump anyone?
    • View Profile
    • http://brokenzanymind.blogspot.com/
Howdy and Welcome :)

Just be careful when mentioning tea and cookies around here.........members like me hear it.....now, where cookies at?   ;)

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
i'm starving... hi! welcome to the forum. you have cookies?

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
............voila! Help yourselves

....and totally calorie and fat free  ;D

PS: I do have a super recipe for real carrot cake muffins - if anyone is interested   [8D] - in lieu of a whistle smiley

Oh! And thanks for the warm welcome  ;D

Offline Mirage

• Neilep Level Member
  • Dry Hump anyone?
    • View Profile
Oh my, thank you :)  *drools*  Carrot cake muffins *drools more*

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
dan i take it you want me to get the recipe?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Good evening, Alandriel. I'm the resident rodent. Anything you want to know about anything, just ask someone else.  :D

Offline Mirage

• Neilep Level Member
  • Dry Hump anyone?
    • View Profile
dan i take it you want me to get the recipe?

Well if you're willing to bake them, yes ;)

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
of course, sweetie

Offline Mirage

• Neilep Level Member
  • Dry Hump anyone?
    • View Profile

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Welcome to the forum nice to have you here!, I hope you have a bunch of fun exploring the forum!

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
Nice to meat you Dr. Beaver (dam beavers!  ;)), kdlynn (how do you pronouce that??), Mirage (hopefully not)and Karen  and thanks for stopping by. Have seen your posts here and there and a bit everywhere and I take you're all very regular here - I'm honored and in most excellent company already.  ;D

Now to keep Mirage happy, here's the recipe for kdlynn (and anyone else who's brave enough to try)

• grease a muffin tin (or similar) and preheat the oven to 180C (sorry, I don't do F)
  • mix together in one bowl: 350g self-raising flour, 300g brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, pinch of cardamon, pinch of salt
      pinch of clove powder, 250g grated carrots, grated peel of 1 lemon, 250g ground almonds
  • mix together in another bowl (that's the 'wet' mix): 4 eggs, 200g melted cooled (!) butter (and don't substitute, there's nothing like the real thing; juice of 1 lemon

Fold the two mixtures carefully together and fill into the muffin tray (or cake form etc). Bake for approx. 15-20mins (muffins) or 60-70mins (cake).
Icing: if you really want to go for it: blend an equal amount of butter with castor or powdered sugar and mix together until smooth. Add grated lemon (or lemon essence; cinnamon etc.) to taste and spread on top of cooled muffins/cake.

BON APPETIT!

oh - and I like to pop a wee marzipan carrot on top

Offline Mirage

• Neilep Level Member
  • Dry Hump anyone?
    • View Profile
Oooo, cheers Alandriel :)

I'll have to give those a whirl, I have quite a few that I need to try thanks to Karen :)

Check this thread out  ;)

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=10535.0

another_someone

Welcome to another Londoner (well, I'm not strictly a Londoner, but almost, and I know we have a few more true Londoners around here).

Swiss origin you say - that explains why I could not make head or tail of the name :)  I would guess, with a name like that, it is French Swiss rather than German Swiss.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
my name is actually kadie (like katie) and my middle name is lynn :)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Nice to meat you Dr. Beaver (dam beavers!  ;)), kdlynn (how do you pronouce that??), Mirage (hopefully not)and Karen  and thanks for stopping by. Have seen your posts here and there and a bit everywhere and I take you're all very regular here - I'm honored and in most excellent company already.  ;D

Now to keep Mirage happy, here's the recipe for kdlynn (and anyone else who's brave enough to try)

• grease a muffin tin (or similar) and preheat the oven to 180C (sorry, I don't do F)
  • mix together in one bowl: 350g self-raising flour, 300g brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, pinch of cardamon, pinch of salt
      pinch of clove powder, 250g grated carrots, grated peel of 1 lemon, 250g ground almonds
  • mix together in another bowl (that's the 'wet' mix): 4 eggs, 200g melted cooled (!) butter (and don't substitute, there's nothing like the real thing; juice of 1 lemon

Fold the two mixtures carefully together and fill into the muffin tray (or cake form etc). Bake for approx. 15-20mins (muffins) or 60-70mins (cake).
Icing: if you really want to go for it: blend an equal amount of butter with castor or powdered sugar and mix together until smooth. Add grated lemon (or lemon essence; cinnamon etc.) to taste and spread on top of cooled muffins/cake.

BON APPETIT!

oh - and I like to pop a wee marzipan carrot on top

Nice to meet you too! Sorry I do tend to rattle.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
:)I actually thought I was done with messageboards .... famous last words!

You've got a really interesting and nice place here.
I think I'll stay a while and get to know you better.

Anyone having tea and cookies? 

.... chocolate ones if possible...;D

Alandriel is the name, wanderer and dabbler in all sorts of things. Forever interested in pretty much everything. A bit of a jack of all trades and a master..... well, of a few things I'd like to believe. But then I always meet someone to knows even more than I do - and that keeps the whole thing interesting  ;D

.. oh yes - and I like chocolate

but then don't blame me: I'm Swiss (though sometimes I'm not so sure about that anymore....)

That strawberry and chocolate dip looks heavenly!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
............voila! Help yourselves

....and totally calorie and fat free  ;D

PS: I do have a super recipe for real carrot cake muffins - if anyone is interested   [8D] - in lieu of a whistle smiley

Oh! And thanks for the warm welcome  ;D

Did you say calorie AND fat free?  YAYYY! 

WELCOME.  It's very nice to meet you!

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
OH! More people saying hi  ;D ;D

Thanks for that link Mirage looks like Ill have an extended read and a copy here and there from that thread. (Food  *sigh* why do I always end up in food threads ::) ;D)

another_someone is a Londoner!  I should have guessed !  ;D
But no, Im afraid the name Alandriel would not have been much help in guessing my origins. Its my ID from my Tolkien RP(*) days. The name has sort of stuck and become almost a second skin. On the Swiss note, Im actually German Swiss, but French will do nicely too. and a few others, as Ive lived abroad for most of my life hence, Im just as much a real Londoner as you are if you take my meaning  ;D Great place to be!!

kdlynn: so you opted to remove all the vowels? Can I call you kadie than rather than tie my fingers into knots? ;D

You rattle, Karen? Id never have guessed  ;) youve just been here way long. Reminds me of my days at my previous MB home....
As to the strawberry thats real easy. Just melt some good quality choc and dip! My pot never makes it out of the kitchen and onto the dining table.

Carolyn you like cookies too? Nice to mee ya. Virtual cookies are, by their very nature ALWAYS calorie and fat free and hence I can post as many pics as I like without getting a nasty poke from my conscience. Nice to meet you too  :)

*)role play - in another time and another life....

Did I say ........ cookies ?????????????????????????????

Let's try some local specialities

Palmiers.(french)..............................no further description necessary

Streusel (german)...... looks deceptively ordinary (you guys need a devil smiley!)

Baklava (or however you choose to spell that) - oriental cookies

...... and now I nice cuppa tea  ;D                    made with tap water or bottled water

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
you spelled baklava correctly, however it's greek. according to my family anyway. maybe it started somewhere else.. yes you can call me kadie.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
I thought a baklava was 1 of those hood things the IRA wear  ???

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
*sigh*  now I'm hungry. [:-'(]

paul.fr

Hello newbie, please feel free to ignore everything i say. or at least take it with a pinch of salt.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Who stole my pinch of salt!?  [:(!]

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Would you, by any chance, have any nice recipes involving trees?

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums