The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Black Sand...?..what's that all about ?  (Read 26548 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Black Sand...?..what's that all about ?
« Reply #25 on: 11/10/2007 22:15:59 »
No telling where it came from, then.  There is a massive, pure black obsidian flow in Newberry Caldera (Oregon)- some of the pieces I have from there look very similar.  Archaeologists have found pieces of Newberry obsidian on the east coast, so it must have been very valuable to the native American tribes- for pieces to have been traded all the way across the country.  Makes incredible arrowheads and cutting tools.

Funny you should say that but we have found many arrow heads here on my property which prompted us to explore the court house records and my home and my daughters are within blocks of each other, and turns out that we are smack dab in the middle of the most used hunting camps for a local tribe of native Americans , who used this whole area as their camp during the hunting seasons. I understand that they spent a great deal of time here making arrow tips etc... It has a nice historical background! From many many years ago.. well beyond my day! LOL! Thanks Bass!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11/10/2007 22:19:51 »
It does look like a rams head! LOL!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11/10/2007 22:24:23 »
Oh, shite, is it a coprolite???

OH dear I just looked up Coprolite??? LOL I guess my guess was good, JimBOB I must indeed be better at checking out your lovely posts cause I did not! LOL I did not know there was a proper term for petrified poop!!! LOL

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #27 on: 11/10/2007 22:24:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums