The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: More caffeine in Coffee or Tea ?  (Read 13130 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
More caffeine in Coffee or Tea ?
« on: 23/06/2004 12:39:14 »
Hullo,

I heard once that although Coffee has more caffeine....Tea enables quicker absorptionof caffeine into the body.....is this true ?....or...............hang on !!..................... was I confusing it with watered down spirits, in that the water aids quicker absorption of the alcohol ?

Your tea-total-alcoholic-caffeine induced answers would be most welcome

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline DrN

• View Profile
Re: More caffeine in Coffee or Tea ?
« Reply #1 on: 24/06/2004 09:31:55 »
Hi, not sure about the tea thing, but tea contains other goodies including tannins and flavinoids that affect absorption of minerals etc, so i guess there's no reason why they might not affect absorption of caffeine in some way either.

I'm not convinced though, i drink lots of diet coke - addicted to the caffeine, but tea definately does not give me the same rush!

Not even sure about water increasing the absorption of alcohol - surely it just increases the volume of liquid in the intestine, which would take longer to absorb? would be interesting to find out.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/06/2004 12:14:13 »
Thanks Fishytails....There might be some truth in the alcohol/water absorption thing as the more I think about it, the more I'm sure I heard it somewhere, but of course I could be all wrong.

Perhaps the fact that Tea is drunk hot and sipped as opposed to cold and quicker might have something to do with the 'rush' effect.

Thanks for yor response though, the fact that you bothered cheered me up ..Ta....I appreciate it.

Offline DrN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24/06/2004 13:14:40 »
Did it cheer you up? well I'm glad about that!

I'm wondering if the caffeine from tea gets into the system slower? as the tannins are known to actually inhibit absorption of things, so that might mean all the caffeine from tea is eventually absorbed, whereas in coffee perhaps the larger amount means that only some is absorbed instantly and the rest excreted? purely speculation, but I'm having the post-diet-coke caffeine slump now and have become interested again!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24/06/2004 13:37:40 »
Yes it did cheer me up  !!..I was getting a little concerned that there had been no answer and thought perhaps I had just brought up a silly question.........again !!

I hope you and your post-diet-coke slump find your caffeine fix satiated soon ;-)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 24/06/2004 13:37:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums