The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can you identify these rocks?  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Can you identify these rocks?
« on: 11/10/2007 03:25:51 »
I am putting these in as a start for the thread most of mine were picked up in 1950 and 1951 By my Grandma and Grandpa!! Can you tell me something about any of them!

This Last one I think is really cool and looks like a lot of different pices pressed together! it is very cool!

« Last Edit: 11/10/2007 23:16:11 by Karen W. »

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11/10/2007 05:18:51 »
1st picture looks like it has foliation (metamorphic layering)- some sort of gneiss.  Do you see any mica, or are the crystals aligned? 
2nd photo- jasper (another form of quartz)
#3 and #4 well rounded cobble, quarztite perhaps?
#5 can't really tell from the photo, jasper perhaps?  can you scratch it with a knife?
#6 and #7  chalcedony (another form of quartz) geode.  Is that a quartz crystal towards the back?
Last one- also looks like japeroidal breccia (broken rock made of jasper)
These are all wild guesses- anything else you can tell us about these rocks?

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/10/2007 23:42:05 »
1rst... glitters a lot more then the camera shows if I were a child I would have thought I found beautiful sparkling gold! LOL! very  gold glittery!also some darkers coloring in the stone deeper. I thought I might split it to see the middle but was leery it would crumble!

2nd... jasper cool!

3rd and 4th... cobble quartztite,

5th...can't really scratch it to make it show. I sawed on it for a couple minutes with some good press, and I cannot tell where I scratched it hardly just on the edge.

6th and 7th...Charcedony... you can see through it in places to see the browns on the backside and inside a bit, it has these little swirls like curls! May be crystal like!
the last one is cool too! It looks as if each color was in layed like a tilled table except that it is all moulded together tans, browns, dark browns, and black, golden yellows also to an orange:it is sharp and angled at one point it has a small strip that looks as if it could have been a thin layer of bark! The layer has more an orange cast to it!it is sharp and angular with lots of edges!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 11/10/2007 23:42:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums