The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Parathyroid function  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
Parathyroid function
« on: 26/06/2004 03:44:02 »
Question for the docs:

So the girlfriend had her thyroidectomy yesterday and the surgeon ended up removing her lower 2 parathyroid glands as well.  (he said they were inexorably stuck to the thyroid)  She'll be on medication to make up for the thyroid hormone deficiency, but what can she do to keep her calcium levels regulated?  Also, what other long-term effects can she expect from lacking a full set of parathyroid glands other than dysfunction in calcium regulation?  How can she avoid these effects?

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
Re: Parathyroid function
« Reply #1 on: 26/06/2004 06:54:16 »
Usually, you can remove three out of four of the parathyroid glands and the remaining one can handle the load.  If not, she can take calcium carbonate and Vitamin D supplements.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 28/06/2004 05:40:24 »
Absolutely right. There are 4 parathyroid glands located behind the thyroid. You should be fine with 2 functional glands, but it is always worth checking calcium levels subsequently to ensure that all is well.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline puddintame

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28/06/2004 16:50:28 »
Had three removed many years ago and doing fine.  Do have calcium levels checked every couple of years.:D

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #4 on: 30/06/2004 14:35:52 »
Great, thanks for the info.  I have another question.  =)

She finds out on friday what the pathologist decided about the malignancy of the tumors in her thyroid.  If it's cancerous, she needs to go on radio-iodine treatment.  If not, she can start taking thyroid hormone medication.  My question is, why can't she take the thyroid hormone meds while on radio-iodine?  I suspect it has something to do with the hormones taking up the iodine and shuttling it around the body (which is bad considering it's radioactive) but I'm not positive on this one.  

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 30/06/2004 14:35:52 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums