The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: what is going on when i get drunk?  (Read 5317 times)

paul.fr

what is going on when i get drunk?
« on: 12/10/2007 23:04:12 »
When you have your first sip of alcohol, what exactly is going on in the ..brain! I presume the reaction is in the brain. How does this reaction, whatever it is increase as more alcohol is consumed?

oh, and why are some people able to consume vast quantaties of alcohol before feeling or getting drunk, when others are drunk after just a pint?

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #1 on: 13/10/2007 00:51:18 »
i dont know paul, but im on my way!!! YAY BEER!

paul.fr

« Reply #2 on: 13/10/2007 00:57:24 »
i dont know paul, but im on my way!!! YAY BEER!

how strange, as i posted that topic i thought of you, Meg!  ;)

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #3 on: 13/10/2007 01:18:11 »
could it be the excess of pictures of me drinking around here???

I'll have a beer for you ;)

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13/10/2007 02:23:35 »
The first think to happen is metabolization. many of the products, such as formaldehyde, are poisonous and brain cells die. For the most part this isn't serious but over time they archtypical "wet-brained" individuals.  If drinking to excess occurs on a regular basis a person's health begins to deteriorate, eventually leading to death.

If a person with an alcohol habit tries to stop without help, serious consequences can arise, depending on the severity of previous drinking. One of the first symptoms to appear indicating a problem is repeated mornings with "the shakes." This happens because the metabolic products of alcohol are replacing the normal elements that allow nerves to function, both at the nerve synapse and along the nerve sheath. If repetitive, constant drinking progresses to this stage, there is quite likely a problem in the person;'s life that needs dealing with. It could be emotional, social or genetic in origin. No matter what the reason, if heavy drinking becomes a normal habit, then help should be sought. It is suicide one drink at a time.

Learn more about the effects of alcohol. There is one adage that I like "if you even think you may have a problem with alcohol, you do." Get help then and there.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13/10/2007 02:48:37 »
My father was an alcoholic and I worry about that in us sibblings is why I decline  and don't drink.. I am not perfect have been intoxicated twice now I believe in me life.. If I tried to drink a pint of something I am sure I would be dead.. I cannot even drink a full glass of wine without feeling completely giddy silly and out of control if you add a second glass I am not reponsible and am very easily effected by alchohol. It and I don't mix well!

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #6 on: 13/10/2007 02:50:37 »
This brings us back to Pauls question about tolerance, why can I, a young reasonably healthy college student, drink 10 or more beers, while others of the same age and fitness drink more or less?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13/10/2007 03:15:08 »
This is not my opinion it is a quote:

"DSM diagnosis

The DSM-IV diagnosis of alcohol dependence represents one approach to the definition of alcoholism. In part this is to assist in the development of research protocols in which findings can be compared with one another. According to the DSM-IV, an alcohol dependence diagnosis is:

...maladaptive alcohol use with clinically significant impairment as manifested by at least three of the following within any one-year period: tolerance; withdrawal; taken in greater amounts or over longer time course than intended; desire or unsuccessful attempts to cut down or control use; great deal of time spent obtaining, using, or recovering from use; social, occupational, or recreational activities given up or reduced; continued use despite knowledge of physical or psychological sequelae."

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholism

Also see http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/HealthIssues/20070322124055.html

paul.fr

« Reply #8 on: 14/10/2007 00:27:30 »
Hay meg, do you have any pictures to illustrate this fine topic?

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #9 on: 14/10/2007 00:44:23 »
haha you bet i do!!

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #10 on: 14/10/2007 00:46:39 »
well I do, but my internet connection is kinda screwy, I can only get access to a few web pages, mainly here and facebook... photobucket isnt working

another_someone

« Reply #11 on: 14/10/2007 12:25:27 »
The question that always interested me is why in past centuries, when water was often unsafe to drink, and often alcoholic beverages were the staple source of liquid (and a valuable source of vitamins), they were not all alcoholics?

paul.fr

« Reply #12 on: 14/10/2007 12:45:15 »
Do you think this may have been because they were introduced to it at a very early age, and i some way built up a tolerance?

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #13 on: 14/10/2007 14:19:29 »
They probably were alcholics. But back then there wasnt a social stigma surrounding it. I think we all need to reflect and move back to a happier time, free flowing alcohol, free flowing love, no utensils... cmon ?:)

another_someone

« Reply #14 on: 15/10/2007 03:08:50 »
Do you think this may have been because they were introduced to it at a very early age, and i some way built up a tolerance?

Interesting thought - but if correct (and I recognise it was only a speculative suggestion), it would imply that present policy which seems to prohibit providing alcohol to babies and young children is flawed.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15/10/2007 03:14:12 »
... it would imply that present policy which seems to prohibit providing alcohol to babies and young children is flawed.

I do not believe it is. It does interfere with nervous system development and also liver function, which in children is a quite different processing capabilities than in adults.

another_someone

« Reply #16 on: 15/10/2007 03:35:00 »
... it would imply that present policy which seems to prohibit providing alcohol to babies and young children is flawed.

I do not believe it is. It does interfere with nervous system development and also liver function, which in children is a quite different processing capabilities than in adults.

While this is generally true - neither of these are fixed entities.

Ofcourse, children in the past had to put up with much else, such a lead piping bringing water into the home (maybe only some children, and only in more recent centuries), so maybe a little damage to the nervous system was not so noticed.

On the other hand, spirits such a Gin were always considered in some way 'evil', so the ordinary everyday alcohol we are talking about is beers and wines.  While these were generally probably slightly stronger in alcohol content in the past than they are today, they were also fuller bodied (hence their higher nutritional value), and maybe the other ingredients in the wines and spirits affected the way they were metabolised?

Offline stana

• Dare to be yourself!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16/10/2007 23:08:22 »
The reason why others can drink alot more than you, is because their body is usd to it, I once watched a TV show where a reaally big guy could drink 40 PINTS, and that didnt do anything to him, Ive never drank in my life, and never will, but if we start to drink, and see who will become drunk first, i will become drunk alot faster than you.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #17 on: 16/10/2007 23:08:22 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums