The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: If My body is 37 degress celcius...then why if it was 37c would I feel so hot ?  (Read 2975 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Anatomical Temperature Experts,

See this thermometer ?

Nice isn;t it ?...notice how accurate it is at displaying body temperature ?

What i want to know (and I think the title of the topic is a big hint)...is....if my body really is that hot then how come if I was in an atmosphere of 37 degrees C would I be feeling severely uncomfortable ?...after all...it's my temperature isn't it ?

I just wish I knew...but I don't...do ewe know ?.....please tell !!

huygs et les shmishes

Neil
xxxxxx

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Wouldn't in in essence make it like double hot on you! Especially if it equals your own temperature I would think because it is outside of your temp that it would be like adding that much more above your normal temperature! burn you up instead.

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
I find that feeling uncomfortable from heat has more to do with humidity than the actual temperature... I can deal with a dry 30 degrees C but 30 at 100% humidity is unbearable...

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Yes I agree the humidity is horrible .. Thats what we get here . If you go inland further it is a dryer heat and as for me can be tolerated better, although I still cannot handle the heat.. Makes me sick!

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
Your body generates heat all the time as the reactions converting the energy of your food into muscle movements/nerve impulses/etc aren't all that efficient (same as a lightbulb generates heat as well as light). So you need to be losing heat to the environment all the time to stay at 37 oC. When the air temperature is higher, you can't lose heat to the environment so easily (tho' infact you can lose some by sweating as some of the heat energy gets "used" in evaporating the water off your skin.. hence why it feels hotter in a humid environment, sweating can't cool you down so fast).
Make sense?

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Yes Mam it does!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums