The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Ionisers...what are they all about ?  (Read 7130 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Ionisers...what are they all about ?
« on: 14/10/2007 18:11:48 »
Dearest Naked Scientist Peeps of Klever Knowing Stuff !

See this thing called an Ioniser ?

Nice isn't it ?...notice how smart and efficient looking it is and ready to ionize your environment ?

But what are Ions ?...why are they so good ?..what do they do ?...how do ewe know if the thing is actually working  ?.......or not as I gather they are completely silent ?....and how do they make the ions and do they then run out ?

Y'see....I don't know !!..I haven't a clue.....is it related to the nice feeling ewe have after a rain storm ?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14/10/2007 18:19:49 »
Well we all know an Ion is a Molecule or an Atom that has lost or gained one or more of its

electrons leaving it with a positive or negative charge. :)

So maybe the ionizer when plugged in moves the atoms and molecules in the air and gives them

a positive charge making things feel and smell fresh!  Kind of stirs them up and electrically charges them.. like a storm might do..!!

Static electricity and such may even come in .. I am not sure!

What do think for guess am I close?
« Last Edit: 14/10/2007 18:23:08 by Karen W. »

Offline Ben Aldhouse

• View Profile
    • Random and Twisted
« Reply #2 on: 14/10/2007 18:24:40 »
Looking at this it might do two things

1) Keep your razor sharp if you keep it underneath
2) Plug the hole in the ozone layer if you keep it on long enough

well ... perhaps not. Actually I used to use one of these things. I really don't like smokey/dusty air. I thought that the ionizer might help. I'm pretty sure it didn't. Should it have?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/10/2007 18:34:51 »
I don't know this is the first time I have ever seen one!

paul.fr

« Reply #4 on: 14/10/2007 18:40:56 »
aren't they just a con? I believe you can get the same benefit by simply closing your windows.

Offline Ben Aldhouse

• View Profile
    • Random and Twisted
« Reply #5 on: 14/10/2007 18:50:28 »
aren't they just a con? I believe you can get the same benefit by simply closing your windows.

Closing your windows sometimes isn't good enough round where I live. There seem to be enough people around here who love their bonfires :-( Smells like some of the stuff they burn would be turned down by Barrington's industrial poisonous chemical incinerator, too. Poo.

Offline Ben Aldhouse

• View Profile
    • Random and Twisted
« Reply #6 on: 14/10/2007 18:54:39 »
I think I was silly to use an ioniser though. Aren't ions really, really bad for you?

paul.fr

« Reply #7 on: 14/10/2007 19:02:36 »
Don't know about health risks, but they certanly made bob marley a few quid!

I am pretty sure that ionisers are a scam, i have seen adverts for "ionizer" bracelets! now that has to be a scam.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14/10/2007 19:15:13 »
What would closing the windows do??

I think I was silly to use an ioniser though. Aren't ions really, really bad for you?

How can Ions be really really bad for you. They are molecules and atoms wouldn't the real problem come from weather or not they are in the right state of charge , positive or negative.. maybe negative ions are bad , or the opposite???

Negative ions  are supposed to increase the flow of oxygen to the brain. Making you more alert less drowsey and  more mentally alert, or to have more mental energy.

Here is an interesting link!

http://www.peakpureair.com/negative_ions.htm

This link discusses positive ions.

http://www-istp.gsfc.nasa.gov/Education/wposion.html

They say negative ions can help raise your spirits and ease depression.. I could sure go for some of those negative ions right about now!!! Go ahead Hit me wityh your best shot why don't ya hit me with your best shot.... fire away...........I like that silly song.. but maybe the negative ions could give me a good dose of happy! YAYYYYYYY! I must look into that!LOL

check this link!

http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/negative-ions-create-positive-vibes

paul.fr

« Reply #9 on: 14/10/2007 19:19:17 »
sorry but all i can say is, con, con, con.

one of the things and ioniser is supposed to do is clear the air of pollutants, such as pollen, that may cause hayfever. simply by having your windows closed in the morning and later in the day will stop the pollen drifting in...i think.

but again, i say con.
« Last Edit: 14/10/2007 19:23:28 by paul.fr »

Offline Ben Aldhouse

• View Profile
    • Random and Twisted
« Reply #10 on: 14/10/2007 19:25:39 »
Don't know about health risks, but they certanly made bob marley a few quid!

Ion, Lion, Zion?

Offline Ben Aldhouse

• View Profile
    • Random and Twisted
« Reply #11 on: 14/10/2007 19:28:44 »
Do ionizers make ozone, though, and isn't that bad for you?

paul.fr

« Reply #12 on: 14/10/2007 19:36:34 »
Do ionizers make ozone, though, and isn't that bad for you?

I forgot about that, Ben.

Yes they do, i think they also try and use this (some sellers anyway) in their marketing. The same way that it used to be thought that a trip to the seaside was good for you because of the ozone.

we know this is not true, but many people will buy in to it and go out and make that purchase.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14/10/2007 20:24:53 »
Thanks for the info Paul. I have never seen one of these machines before! I did see in an article I was reading reference to what you just said about the ozone. LOL it is funny how they play on people to sell things like that!

another_someone

« Reply #14 on: 15/10/2007 02:19:45 »
Ionizers do ionise the air.  This has a number of consequences.

Yes, they do create ozone, which can be an irritant, and even toxic (but then, what isn't).  But then, photocopiers and laser printers also ionise the air, and generate ozone.

Ionised air will mean ionised dust, and ionised dust will tend to clump together, and thus will precipitate out of the air (you will often find the area around an ioniser covered in a layer of dust that has precipitated from the air).  In the extreme case, this is used to remove pollution from factory chimneys, but I doubt your domestic ioniser gets even close to being that powerful.

It is also the case that the electrical charge of the air changes with weather conditions, but I cannot say if the negative charge that ionisers generate feels like good or bad weather coming in.

Personally, I tend to like having an ioniser in the room, as well as it is well enough ventilated not to allow the buildup of ozone.  In general - if it works for you, use it, if not, throw it out.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14 on: 15/10/2007 02:19:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length