The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: stupid american keyboards!  (Read 12965 times)

paul.fr

stupid american keyboards!
« on: 14/10/2007 19:07:16 »
the other week I had the hard drive wiped on one of my laptops, well after reinstalling windows and other stuff, I am left with no sound drivers, so no audio...that I can live with. But, what is annoying the life out of me, is that I now have an American keyboard!

Everything is in the wrong place and just plane stupid, is this a post or a rant? I like to think both. Can I just repeat, American keyboard layout is just stupid...stupid.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14/10/2007 23:29:12 »
What does a british keyboard layout look like?

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/10/2007 23:38:55 »
good question

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #3 on: 14/10/2007 23:51:53 »
when I enable my american keyboard it marks words like colour, favour, neighbourhood as spelled wrong... that annoys me

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15/10/2007 00:34:40 »
Your keyboard performs spell check??? or the computer marks them as spelled wrong?? I don't get it!

paul.fr

« Reply #5 on: 15/10/2007 00:38:02 »
well for starters these are in the wrong place:

@ # ?/"'][{}+=_-

and my keyboard keeps asking if i want fries with that each time i hit the return key!

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #6 on: 15/10/2007 00:40:35 »
haha...

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #7 on: 15/10/2007 00:40:54 »
is the @ above the 2?

paul.fr

« Reply #8 on: 15/10/2007 00:43:07 »

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #9 on: 15/10/2007 00:52:38 »
then where is it on the English keyboard?

paul.fr

« Reply #10 on: 15/10/2007 00:55:16 »
it should be above the comma, " should be above the 2 on my keyboard.

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #11 on: 15/10/2007 00:58:57 »
woah... thats random

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15/10/2007 02:31:22 »

« Last Edit: 15/10/2007 02:36:20 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15/10/2007 02:37:50 »
Logitech, made in china.. three shots from the left to the right. then full shot.. My @ key is over the two also, I thought they all were! LOL

another_someone

« Reply #14 on: 15/10/2007 02:39:22 »
woah... thats random

Not at all - wait till you start playing with French or German keyboard (I wont even suggest Hebrew or Cyrillic).

The UK keyboard has a sign over the number 3, where the US keyboards have a # symbol - this is a consequence of the UK currency.  Why the rest of the keyboard is swapped around, I don't know - but I imagine it must have some history going back to old typewriter keyboards or something.

The problem with French keyboards (and for good reason, at least for the old typewriters) is the they are AZERTY rather than QWERTY (this referring to the top line of letters) - but then, I would think that you as a Canadian should have exposure to AZERTY keyboards occasionally?

another_someone

« Reply #15 on: 15/10/2007 02:46:46 »
the other week I had the hard drive wiped on one of my laptops, well after reinstalling windows and other stuff, I am left with no sound drivers, so no audio...that I can live with. But, what is annoying the life out of me, is that I now have an American keyboard!

Everything is in the wrong place and just plane stupid, is this a post or a rant? I like to think both. Can I just repeat, American keyboard layout is just stupid...stupid.

Can you not simply go to the Regional and Languge section in the Settings and change your keyboard (you may need to install the language specific keyboard layout)?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15/10/2007 02:48:52 »
Mine looks normal George! LOL I have never seen another kind before!

another_someone

« Reply #17 on: 15/10/2007 03:02:37 »
Mine looks normal George! LOL I have never seen another kind before!

Here's the wiki page for keyboard layouts - I'll not copy all the various layouts here - there are far too many of them.

Just wait till you have to start dealing with printer and display codepages (luckily, unicode substantially simplifies that - although there are still complexities with unicode too).

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15/10/2007 04:48:48 »
WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! Tons of keyboards I wondered how you all were able to put accent marks over letters ours wont do that!

Offline eric l

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15/10/2007 08:33:34 »
I learned to type on a french layout (AZERTY), and one thing I still have trouble with when using a QWERTY on a laptop is when typing numbers :  with AZERTY you have to use the shift key for that and I forget not to use it on that QWERTY laptop.

I recently learned that though the Swiss use the German QWERTZ keyboard, their lay out is slightly different from that of the Germans.  The Germans have no key for an E with two dots, and no dead key for those two dots either; the Swiss have - probably because they have also French and Italian as their national languages.  Some Belgians that reside in Germany and use German computers switchd the reional settings on the control pannel to Swiss because of that.

If you disagree with your spell checker because it gives US spelling instead of UK spelling (or vice versa), you can change this in the regional settings (if that is the word they use)on your control pannel.  Within those regional settings there is a tab "language(s)".

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15/10/2007 09:04:32 »
This is my keyboard and all the keys are in the right place !! ;D

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15/10/2007 09:10:32 »
LOL LOL! Now thats a dang nice keyboard. Is it as compact as it looks?

I looks like it does  lots of really cool stuff!! LOL.. You should play something nice for us to hear!!!!!! We would like it!

another_someone

« Reply #22 on: 15/10/2007 11:57:46 »
WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! Tons of keyboards I wondered how you all were able to put accent marks over letters ours wont do that!

Using a UK keyboard, we still lack accented characters, so I unusually cheat - I  either cut and paste from a web page that has the relevant word (which I probably would not remember how to spell correctly anyway), or use the character map.

Offline Ben Aldhouse

• View Profile
    • Random and Twisted
« Reply #23 on: 15/10/2007 12:29:02 »
It used to be possible to get accented characters up and stuff (on Microsoft) by pressing alt and then three numbers on the numeric keypad. I haven't done that for ages...

^That was ALT 456 (randomly chosen to see if it still works). Still works then. Don't ask me what codes produce what characters though!
« Last Edit: 15/10/2007 12:30:59 by Ben Aldhouse »

another_someone

« Reply #24 on: 15/10/2007 12:33:46 »
I recently learned that though the Swiss use the German QWERTZ keyboard, their lay out is slightly different from that of the Germans.  The Germans have no key for an E with two dots, and no dead key for those two dots either; the Swiss have - probably because they have also French and Italian as their national languages.  Some Belgians that reside in Germany and use German computers switchd the reional settings on the control pannel to Swiss because of that.

The Italians don't use accents and diacriticals/umlauts at all.  French don't use diacriticals/umlauts but do use accents.  Dutch do have an umlauted e, but I am not sure if the south Germanic languages (Swiss and Austrian) do - I suppose they must do if they are on the Swiss keyboards.

On the other hand, Hungarians have two forms of diacritical/umlaut, and cannot even use the Western European (ISO Latin-1) codepage.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 15/10/2007 12:33:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums