The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: stupid american keyboards!  (Read 12970 times)

another_someone

stupid american keyboards!
« Reply #25 on: 15/10/2007 12:39:46 »
It used to be possible to get accented characters up and stuff (on Microsoft) by pressing alt and then three numbers on the numeric keypad. I haven't done that for ages...

^That was ALT 456 (randomly chosen to see if it still works). Still works then. Don't ask me what codes produce what characters though!

It depends on the codepage you are using.

My system seems to be using codepage 850 (not sure if US systems don't use codepage 437 - they used to).

paul.fr

« Reply #26 on: 15/10/2007 12:43:53 »

Can you not simply go to the Regional and Languge section in the Settings and change your keyboard

That was the first thing i tried, no luck. I am slowly getting used to it. But every now and then it doea throw up an something strange.

Offline Ben Aldhouse

• View Profile
    • Random and Twisted
« Reply #27 on: 15/10/2007 13:02:37 »
Something weird happens when I control my desktop computer from my laptop computer via VNC. Both keyboards are mapped properly the British way (don't you know) but when I type into an application on the desktop via VNC, I get '@' instead of '"' etc etc until I change the keyboard mapping on the desktop to American English. Then, when I am using the desktop in the normal way, I have to change it back again.

Offline engrByDayPianstByNight

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16/10/2007 02:32:38 »
Sounds like a nice new hobby to start your own keyboard collection from different countries. Instead of postcards, you buy ethnic keyboards as duty-free souvenirs at the airport gift shop.  ;)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17/10/2007 08:42:42 »
I used to do a lot of work for Honeywell all over Europe (Belgium, France, Italy, Germany mainly) and the different keyboards were a nightmare!

Offline eric l

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 17/10/2007 09:27:04 »
As for the special signs, when I have to type names like Dvořk or or alik (a Turkish name), I type them in Word, using "Insert/Symbol...",  and copy and paste them where I need them.
Recently I was shown this site that may be helpful, too :  http://www.macility.com/products/popcharwin/
So far, I don't really have the knack of it yet and working with Word is still faster.  And I probably never will go for the complete (paying) version.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17/10/2007 09:43:44 »
...I type them in Word, using "Insert/Symbol...",  and copy and paste them where I need them.

That's what I do

lyner

« Reply #32 on: 17/10/2007 12:10:27 »
popchar was available for years on the mac. You just use it like lettraset. It's just like an extra set of keys in the corner of your screen.

Offline DrDick

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 17/10/2007 16:28:46 »
It used to be possible to get accented characters up and stuff (on Microsoft) by pressing alt and then three numbers on the numeric keypad. I haven't done that for ages...

^That was ALT 456 (randomly chosen to see if it still works). Still works then. Don't ask me what codes produce what characters though!

I use some of these codes a lot myself, especially ALT+0176 (the degree symbol, ).  These are quite useful, since they work even outside of word processors, etc.  I've even gone so far as created a document for myself that gives me the ALT key codes.  I use some of these (, , ) more than others.

As mentioned above, there's a separate set of ALT key codes that don't use the first 0.  There is duplication between the two sets, but I learned the ALT-0### codes first.  In both sets, there are accented characters available (e.g., ALT-0233 = ).

If you're using these characters a lot, this would be quite cumbersome.  Many applications let you assign key maps, so when you enter a certain key sequence, it converts it into a symbol.

Dick

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #33 on: 17/10/2007 16:28:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums