The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do diseases like ADD and ADHD become?  (Read 8312 times)

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
How do diseases like ADD and ADHD become?
« on: 15/10/2007 01:55:10 »
Say if these two people have a kid and don't have any trace of ADD, ADHD, DISLEXIA, ETC..How do their kids get it?
« Last Edit: 18/10/2007 09:48:44 by BenV »

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: How do diseases like ADD and ADHD become?
« Reply #1 on: 15/10/2007 02:09:47 »
i don't think your parents have to have it

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 15/10/2007 02:28:59 »
Dyslexia is a very different issue from ADHD and ADD.  The latter two are still quite controversial diagnosis (and some people regard it as a socially contextual diagnosis), while dyslexia, although it can take various forms, has some objective diagnosis for it.

Dyslexia certainly has some genetic component, although it can be caused by all sorts of other issues.  If you have wider issues of brain damage, then often dyslexia can also be one other issue there; but that is a different matter from when dyslexia is diagnosed in the absence of general brain damage (e.g. from oxygen starvation).  I don't know if anybody has done any research on how many spontaneous cases of dyslexia (i.e. not inherited) occur that are not the consequence of trauma at or before birth.

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 15/10/2007 02:31:16 »
i don't think your parents have to have it

An inheritable trait need not be apparent in your parents - but a lot of dyslexics I know seem to have some other family members who are dyslexic (to some degree - and it is a condition that can vary in degree very greatly), implying there is a genetic component, even if it does not display in their immediate parents.

It should also be noted that dyslexia appears very differently in people with high intelligence, since highly intelligent people implement coping mechanisms that tend to obscure their dyslexia, while with less intelligent people, the dyslexia can be far more obvious.
« Last Edit: 15/10/2007 02:33:11 by another_someone »

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: 15/10/2007 16:32:21 »
Oh I'm lost..

another_someone

« Reply #5 on: 15/10/2007 20:24:19 »
Oh I'm lost..

What are you lost about?

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: 15/10/2007 22:58:23 »
Um..I think I've got the idea on the Dylexia, but I"m lost about the Add and Adhd parts

Offline enigmatic

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16/10/2007 23:54:35 »
Isnt it chemical imbalance that causes adhd and add?

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: 17/10/2007 00:31:13 »
So how can you make sure that this chemcail blance is correct?

another_someone

« Reply #9 on: 17/10/2007 00:41:29 »
Um..I think I've got the idea on the Dylexia, but I"m lost about the Add and Adhd parts

What I was meaning is that there are those who class ADHD and ADD as an illness, while others who claim it is merely part of the normal spectrum of behaviour, but modern society has changed to bring that behaviour into conflict with modern social norms - and thus regard the problem as societies inability to accommodate the behaviour rather than inherent in the underlying behaviour.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17/10/2007 10:05:36 »

What I was meaning is that there are those who class ADHD and ADD as an illness, while others who claim it is merely part of the normal spectrum of behaviour, but modern society has changed to bring that behaviour into conflict with modern social norms - and thus regard the problem as societies inability to accommodate the behaviour rather than inherent in the underlying behaviour.

I think there's a lot of truth in that. As our society has become more namby-pamby & controlled, behaviour that doesn't fit into stricter & stricter guidelines is regarded as aberrant. Disorders & Syndromes are popping up all over the place because everything has to have a name, a compartment into which it will fit so it can be statistised.

Cynical as I am, I believe a lot of boundaries have been bent so that more people fall into the aberrant categories. That way researchers have something to research, even though it has been artificially created. And, of course, research can lead to status & fame in the academic world; "So-and-so was the first to diagnose blah blah" etc., even if blah blah doesn't really exist.

It is very easy for researchers to stretch their results a little bit. They may not really mean to; but if you want something to be so, it's very easy to read something into the data that isn't actually there.

A chap I know doesn't like riding upstairs on double-decker buses. The stairs make him nervous. I'm surprised he hasn't been diagnosed as having "Elevation Anxiety Syndrome" or some such.

We need to go back to basics and accept the fact that behaviour is a spectrum. There are no hard and fast borders. "Normal" and "abnormal" are mutable societal constructs. Personally, I find it abnormal for free-thinking humans to so submissively accept the notions of abnormality expounded by so-called experts. OK, Johnny gets bored at school. He fidgets & loses concentration. Don't label Johnny with a disorder. Get some decent bloody teachers who know how to hold children's interest!
« Last Edit: 17/10/2007 10:12:35 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: 17/10/2007 12:00:49 »
I see know I see.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17/10/2007 13:48:03 »
I see know I see.

I'm glad someone does. Can you explain it to me?  Sometimes (a lot of times) I confuse myself ???

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: 17/10/2007 15:49:55 »
I think there's a lot of truth in that. As our society has become more namby-pamby & controlled, behaviour that doesn't fit into stricter & stricter guidelines is regarded as aberrant. Disorders & Syndromes are popping up all over the place because everything has to have a name, a compartment into which it will fit so it can be statistised.

Cynical as I am, I believe a lot of boundaries have been bent so that more people fall into the aberrant categories. That way researchers have something to research, even though it has been artificially created. And, of course, research can lead to status & fame in the academic world; "So-and-so was the first to diagnose blah blah" etc., even if blah blah doesn't really exist.

It is very easy for researchers to stretch their results a little bit. They may not really mean to; but if you want something to be so, it's very easy to read something into the data that isn't actually there.

A chap I know doesn't like riding upstairs on double-decker buses. The stairs make him nervous. I'm surprised he hasn't been diagnosed as having "Elevation Anxiety Syndrome" or some such.

We need to go back to basics and accept the fact that behaviour is a spectrum. There are no hard and fast borders. "Normal" and "abnormal" are mutable societal constructs. Personally, I find it abnormal for free-thinking humans to so submissively accept the notions of abnormality expounded by so-called experts. OK, Johnny gets bored at school. He fidgets & loses concentration. Don't label Johnny with a disorder. Get some decent bloody teachers who know how to hold children's interest!

That explain it :P

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17/10/2007 22:31:19 »
Thank you.  :)

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: 18/10/2007 01:55:51 »
haha np doc..

another_someone

« Reply #16 on: 18/10/2007 04:26:38 »
I make no comment about the following - merely report it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3603235.stm
Children under two should not be allowed to watch any TV, experts say.

Older children should watch no more than two hours a day, the researchers at the Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Centre in Seattle said.

Each hour in front of the TV increased a child's chances of attention deficit disorder by 10%, their research in the Pediatrics journal showed.

The study of 1,345 children showed three hours TV a day made children 30% more likely to have the disorder.

Dr Dimitri Christakis at the children's hospital led the study. He said: "The newborn brain develops very rapidly during the first two to three years of life. It's really being wired."

Children who were exposed to the unrealistic levels of stimulation at a young age continued to expect this in later life, leading to difficulty dealing with the slower pace of school and homework, he said.

"TV can cause the developing mind to experience unnatural levels of stimulation," he said.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18/10/2007 04:30:19 »
i just heard that on the radio yesterday.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18/10/2007 09:14:34 »
I'm not convinced that research actually means much. 3-5% of kids in the US are diagnosed withh ADD? 2 hours of TV per day increases risk by 30%? Even 1 hour can increase the risk?

Is there a child in the western world who doesn't watch at least 1 hour of TV per day?

When I was young, TVs were nowhere near as common as they are now; but there were still "hyperactive" kids. Looking back on my behaviour in the 2nd & 3rd years at secondary school, I would these days probably be diagnosed as having ADD. The truth is that I was bored. My teachers were boring & I was having to study subjects I had absolutely no interest in (British Constitution & Economics to name but 2).

In the 4th year, I was able to drop the subjects I didn't want to take. I was enjoying my lessons and I settled down to my work.

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: 18/10/2007 12:12:06 »
Would Computer do the same thing as TV?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18/10/2007 13:03:35 »

No. Computers turn kids into mass-murdering psychopaths 

another_someone

« Reply #21 on: 18/10/2007 15:12:44 »
As I said, I was merely reporting not necessarily promoting, the study.

Personally, I do think that too much TV for young kids is a bad thing, but whether it promotes ADD or ADHD is another matter.

Firstly, TV is often used by parents as a tranquilliser for kids, and tranquillising kids in that way, by whatever means, I believe to be counter-productive.

Secondly, I think the issue that was raised about computers is key, because it does highlight a key difference.  A computer is something one interacts with, and so children can learn to develop interactive skills, whereas TV is a one way process where the child in no way develops any skills other than to sit and watch (they may receive information, but they do not learn in any way to control their environment).

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: 18/10/2007 16:36:53 »

No. Computers turn kids into mass-murdering psychopaths 

Oh jezze now I'm screwed..haha

and

Oh i see thank ya George!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18/10/2007 16:54:21 »
As I said, I was merely reporting not necessarily promoting, the study.

Personally, I do think that too much TV for young kids is a bad thing, but whether it promotes ADD or ADHD is another matter.

Firstly, TV is often used by parents as a tranquilliser for kids, and tranquillising kids in that way, by whatever means, I believe to be counter-productive.

I totally agree. Sitting kids in front of the TV is a cop-out. Parents who do that are abdicating their responsibilities to the program-makers.

However, having said that, TV is coming in very handy at the moment. Sandra & I plonk the kids in front of it so we can get on with the decorating. However, it does give me cause for concern that they can sit all day like a pair of brain-dead zombies watching the same 3 episodes of Power Rangers being repeated time & time again.

Secondly, I think the issue that was raised about computers is key, because it does highlight a key difference.  A computer is something one interacts with, and so children can learn to develop interactive skills, whereas TV is a one way process where the child in no way develops any skills other than to sit and watch (they may receive information, but they do not learn in any way to control their environment).

Good point, well made.

Simply receiving information, and processing that information in meaningful ways, are totally different beasties.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #23 on: 18/10/2007 16:54:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums