The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: It's there because we see it ! ( A quantum thing)  (Read 3253 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Reading a book by Terence Dickinson he refers to the quantum thing that actually observing something affects it.......he mentions that other people have theorized that the Universe itself only exists because we observe it !

This whole quantum thing has me really so befuddled that I know that some comments posted here in response I probably may not understand !

..but....what do you think about that ?...have you heard of such a thing ?...what do you think of such a thing ?...presumably the same can be said for our observations of each other  eh ?

Wouldn't it be great to understand the nature of the quantum world ?

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
It's there because we see it ! ( A quantum thing)
« Reply #1 on: 15/10/2007 17:06:26 »
How can it only exist if we observe it..? We are part of this Universe are we not? How could we observe it if we do not exist to observe it! Without the universe we do not exist, are we just simply a plant seeded on the earth that grows as an apple on a tree The earth being the tree and we just a growth there? Therefore we are the imagination of who...? God do we only exist in Gods mind? It confuses me too.. can you tell???

Offline Ophiolite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/10/2007 17:15:48 »
Be warned - I am no physicist.
You will likely be familiar with the wave-particle duality and Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. (And the cat in the box that can't decide whether it is dead or not.) In an the double slit experiment the wave function does not collapse until we observe it. A non-standard interpretation of this is that consciousness alone can collapse the waveform. For a fuller discussion, as nrealy always, try wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousness_causes_collapse

lyner

« Reply #3 on: 15/10/2007 18:48:31 »
If you didn't see the big match, did no one win until someone tells you the score?
(Schroedinger's football team.)

Offline Mr Andrew

• God was primitive man's attempt at Physics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15/10/2007 20:35:33 »
Both teams won and lost at the same time together and seperately.

Some friends of mine have decided that there should be an easy button that instead of saying "That was easy!" should say "Quantum Physics...Gaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!"  I agree.

lyner

« Reply #5 on: 16/10/2007 10:37:02 »
So what did the Ref write in his match report?
Were the teams playing in the quantum entanglement cup?
This idea of total personalisation  of Physics is ok for a talking point but it doesn't advance things much. The fact is that, on a macroscopic  level, always, and on a microscopic level, mostly, we all experience the same thing. This implies that things are happening whether or not I, personally, am there to experience them. That is unless I am, actually God. Then, what about you?
We don't have to visit or observe all places in the Universe in order to be able to assume that Physics is the same as here. (To the limits of the prevailing model, that is.)
Smart ideas like clapping with one hand and trees falling in forests are all good fun but, apart from making us use our brains, they may not be all that helpful when concocting models of the World in which we live.
If you just accept that there is NO REALITY and that you will never UNDERSTAND anything you never have a problem. Models are just models and we need never look for any better than the latest model which includes a bit more than the last one.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 16/10/2007 10:37:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums