The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: BAD TEETH BAD ETHICS BAD TOXINS and EXPENSIVE DENTISTS  (Read 20148 times)

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
BAD TEETH BAD ETHICS BAD TOXINS and EXPENSIVE DENTISTS
« Reply #25 on: 05/07/2009 22:59:45 »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/4705442/Are-your-mercury-fillings-safe.html
"It doesn't mean anything that the Government's Committee on Toxicology [which advises the Department of Health, which in turn advises the BDA] has not found mercury amalgam unsafe," he says. "They can only consider the evidence presented to them and the manufacturers of mercury amalgam are not encouraging such research.

It is you that offers advice that is false! There is a growing body of evidence that is going to turn around and bite the hand that feeds it into the mouths of trusting patients!

http://www.toxicmercuryamalgam.com/
" So why risk adding a top up 24/7 from amalgum fillings when using white fillings should at least prevent mercury overload."

False dichotomy.
There is no reason to suggest that amalgam fillings are causing "mercury overload" so there's no way to justify the assertion that something else can prevent it.

As I have said before there has been a whole lot of research in this field and it all points one way. The only threat from mercury in fillings is to careless dentsists making the amalgam.

There isn't a problem so there's no point wasting effort trying to solve it.

Online Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06/07/2009 09:51:46 »
A way of spotting the paranoid conspiracy theories is that they include statements like "Mercury is one of the most poisonous substances known to man."
which simply isn't true, or at least, isn't meaningful.
To cite a newspaper article ( written by someone whoo knows that good news doesn't sell papers) with a blatant error like that in it then to say that "It is you that offers advice that is false" is, at best, unscientific.
The same goes for "it is impossible to know if mercury is implicated, without actually having the fillings removed" utter nonsense- a urine test can measure the body's exposure to mercury.

This bit is clearly hoakum too "My reactions to mercury and amalgam were assessed using Vega and kinesiology tests - these rely, dubiously some scientists say, on patients being connected to glass phials containing poisons while the body's resistance to the substances is tested."
Dubious isn't the word; ridiculous would be a better description. The body can do some clever tricks, but reacting to a chemical from which it is separated by a glass bottle is not one of them. Why is anyone ever taken in by that sort of thing?

If that's the best evidence for fillings causing problems then I think you have just proved that they are safe.
Did you not notice just how partisan the people in that article were?

Anyway, here's the report from an expert group, rather that some journalists and people trying to sell anti-amalgam toothpaste.
http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/committee/cotstatementdentalamalgam1997

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06/07/2009 19:37:09 »
BC feel free to suck on all the mercury you want, for as long as you want to. But don't expect me to follow your advice and accept that putting mercury in my mouth will not poison me.

1: J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol. 2008;27(4):303-5.Links
    The food and drug administration agrees to classify mercury fillings.
    Edlich RF, Cross CL, Wack CA, Long WB 3rd, Newkirk AT.

Legacy Emanuel Verified Level I Shock Trauma Center for Children and Adults, Legacy Emanuel Hospital, Portland, OR, USA.

In the United States Court of Appeals of the District of Columbia Circuit, the Appellants Mom's Against Mercury, Connecticut Coalition for Environmental Justice, Oregonians for Life, California Citizens for Health Freedom, Kevin J. Biggers, Karen Johnson, Linda Brocato, R. Andrew Landerman, and Antia Vazquez Tibaul filed a petition for review of Regulatory Inaction by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). On Monday June 2, 2008, the lawsuit was settled with the FDA after it agreed to classify mercury fillings. During its negotiation session with the Appellants, the FDA indicated that it would change its website on mercury fillings. The FDA no longer claims that no science exists about the safety of mercury amalgam or that other countries have acted for environmental reasons only. On its website, the FDA now states the following: "Dental amalgams contain mercury, which may have neurotoxic effects on the nervous systems of developing children and fetus." The FDA also states that "Pregnant women and persons who may have a health condition that makes them more sensitive to mercury exposure, including individuals with existing high levels of mercury bioburden, should not avoid seeking dental care, but should discuss options with their health practitioner." The FDA decision to classify mercury fillings is a reflection of the legislations enacted in Europe and Canada that highlight the neurotoxic effects of mercury filling

« Last Edit: 06/07/2009 19:44:32 by Andrew K Fletcher »

Online Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07/07/2009 15:18:22 »
"don't expect me to follow your advice and accept that putting mercury in my mouth will not poison me."
OK, why don't you accept the observation that, for decades, I have carried a fair bit of mercury round in my mouth and I'm still not pushing up the daisies?

For every theoretical risk of toxicity you can find (like the ones that court case refers to) I will be able to find hundreds of people with fillings and no health problems.

The evidence is perfectly clear- except in the rare case of hypersensitivity, mercury in fillings is not a problem.

For those people who do have such hypersensitivity the presence of mercury in some foodstuffs would also cause problems.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07/07/2009 20:21:11 »
Dr. Robert Kelly, a spokesman for the ADA from the University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine, said the ADA's position supporting the safety of dental amalgam has been formed from a lot of people outside the field of dentistry.

He said the amount of exposure to mercury from amalgam fillings is minuscule relative to exposure from a normal diet or "from the air we breathe."

Kelly said at best having amalgam fillings adds one microgram of extra exposure per day, compared to some 10 micrograms of exposure per day in a normal diet
http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseaction/show/pageid/1596
« Last Edit: 07/07/2009 20:23:36 by RD »

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 08/07/2009 21:21:43 »
For a balanced view, why not take into account the other text on the same site?

Growing number of dentists choose not to use dental amalgam      
As a dental student almost three decades ago, Dr. C. Frederick Smith of Lynchburg says he became concerned that dental amalgam filling material contained mercury.

Though his professors assured him that the mercury could not leak out of the filling material, Smith said he doubted the validity of that statement because he had worked as a research chemist before entering the dental field. Still, he said in a letter sent to the newspaper last week, "I did not think it wise to disagree with my professors."

But after graduation from dental school in 1977, he began to research the safety of dental amalgam, which is made up of 50 percent mercury. He said his master's degree in chemistry gave him a high respect for the toxicity of elemental mercury.

Smith says now he has no doubt: Dental amalgam isn't safe.

"Scientific research has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that elemental mercury evaporates from amalgam fillings as mercury vapour. When a piece of 25 year old amalgam filling that had been removed from a patient's tooth was lightly touched and then examined with an electron microscope, tiny balls of liquid unbound mercury could be seen beading up on the surface of the filling. With special black lighting mercury vapour has even been photographed evaporating off of dental amalgam," he stated.

Smith stopped using dental amalgam in most of his patients as early as 1984 and as of 1998 he stopped using it altogether.

He said he's among a growing number of dentists choosing alternatives to dental amalgam. According to Smith 30 percent of dentists in the United States don't use dental amalgam fillings at all and half of all the fillings now used are with materials other than dental amalgam.

One issue dentists in Virginia who are mercury-free face is that they can't advertise that fact. According to the Virginia Board of Dentistry, doing so would be tantamount to making a claim of superiority and therefore they become subject to disciplinary action.

Sandra Reen, executive director of the Virginia Board of Dentistry, said the board does not have a guiding document specific to the use of dental amalgam.

"We refer people to the research literature that exists ... There's quite a bit of literature available from the research community in regards to the safety," she said.

Smith said he also points his peers to scientific information so "they can come to their own conclusion" on the safety of dental amalgam.

"I just think a lot of the scientific literature is not available to the majority of dentists," he said of why some dentists still choose to use dental amalgam. "You really have to go hunting and looking for it. If they did (study it) they would really begin to question it as I did when I read it," he said.

Smith belongs to the dental professional organisation the International Academy for Oral Medicine and Toxicology which deals with the safety of dental materials used by dentists to restore teeth.

He said studies have shown that mercury vapour breathed in is 80 percent absorbed by the blood in the lungs and then becomes a cumulative toxin that the body must dispose. He said the studies have shown that mercury from amalgam fillings accumulates in distant organs within just a few weeks of being placed in the mouth.

Dr. Robert Kelly, a spokesman for the ADA from the University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine, said the ADA's position supporting the safety of dental amalgam has been formed from a lot of people outside the field of dentistry.

He said the amount of exposure to mercury from amalgam fillings is minuscule relative to exposure from a normal diet or "from the air we breathe."

Kelly said at best having amalgam fillings adds one microgram of extra exposure per day, compared to some 10 micrograms of exposure per day in a normal diet
http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseaction/show/pageid/1596

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09/07/2009 13:38:48 »
... why not take into account the other text on the same site?

Coz I don't agree with it, neither does the UK MS Scociety ...

There is no evidence that mercury causes MS or that the removal of dental amalgam improves the course of MS. It has been estimated that amalgam accounts for ten per cent or less of mercury intake. Dental amalgam removal is generally expensive, though there are few risks associated with it. On rare occasions it may cause injury to nerves or tooth structure.

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/about_ms/treatments/complementary_and_alternative_therapies/replacement.html
« Last Edit: 09/07/2009 13:41:33 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #31 on: 09/07/2009 13:38:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums