The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: PlASMA.. A fourth state??  (Read 2110 times)

Offline hamza

• View Profile
    • Blog Hamxa
PlASMA.. A fourth state??
« on: 16/10/2007 14:47:22 »
I was wondering if it is right to consider Plasma as a state of matter. Because plasma itself is found to exist in other states.For example our blood plasma is a liquid, the plasma in gel forms is solid and the plasma in the universe is gaseous .. So can plasma be considered to be a fourth state afterall ..

Offline Mr Andrew

• God was primitive man's attempt at Physics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16/10/2007 17:10:48 »
The plasma in blood is not plasma in the sense that it is a gaseous vapor in which electrons are totally delocalized from their atoms.  That generally occurs at high temperatures, nowhere near body temperature.  Plasma is already considered another state of matter just as neutron matter and strange matter are, as well as bose-einstein condensates and I assume several others.

lyner

« Reply #2 on: 16/10/2007 17:17:25 »
electrons are totally delocalized from their atoms.
I'm not sure that a plasma needs to have all the electrons torn from the atoms - isn't it  just defined as a totally ionised gas i.e. at least one electron missing from every atom?
You would need very extreme conditions to whip all the electrons off! MeV of energies.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/10/2007 20:03:18 »
I think you don't need all the atoms ionised, just enough that they start making the gas act differently to a normal one. A candle flame is conductive because it's ionised and so I think it counts as a weak plasma.

lyner

« Reply #4 on: 16/10/2007 21:53:40 »
As, indeed, does the ionosphere.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 16/10/2007 21:53:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length