The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How much of the wrong blood can we take?  (Read 2816 times)

Offline Tann San

• View Profile
How much of the wrong blood can we take?
« on: 28/06/2004 14:28:18 »
Hi, I was quizzing my girlfriend about some medical stuff for fun.  I was wondering about those blood pacts people make in old western movies, you know the classic "Blood brothers" sort of thing.  So sharing a drop of blood does nothing, sharing a big hand slice of blood doesnt seem to do too much so how much is too much?  Is there some balance such as half your bodies blood i.e. lots and lots?

My girly said that pregnant women sometimes have to take meds to help the babies as they have different blood types.  She also said that it wasnt true for every case.  So doesnt that mean that the mother has a method of converting one blood type to another?  There was this word she used but I cant remember it, kind of came down to a sack o juice around the baby I think.

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
Re: How much of the wrong blood can we take?
« Reply #1 on: 28/06/2004 16:58:48 »
Mothers get used to the foriegn protein of the child by first getting used to, not reactive to ie in the immune system to the fathers protein in the semen. There is more in it than cells. Alike this young women with braces lose their allergy or normal immune response to metal in their mouths after some time and exposure.

There is a membrane barrier between the mother and child but some time back my friend a Dr mentioned that white blood cells travel through membranes. So they don't attack the baby's tissue like any other foriegn protein but perhaps some end up in the blood foetal stream. I will ask Dr AJS about this.

Titanscape

Offline Karl2004

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/06/2004 17:33:05 »
Hi there
was wondering if someone could give me some advice.
I have been suffering with bad wisdom teeth for about 9 months now, over the last couple of months the pain has got worse and i had a sort of panic attack 4 weeks ago and everyday since then i have felt lightheaded, aches and pains, shaky and very tired all the time, i have had blood tests done by the doctor and they were all clear does this mean that i have nothing physically wrong with me? he thinks i may be suffering from anxiety.
I am having 3 wisdom teeth removed and 3 normal teeth removed, one of my wisdom teeth is so far up it is on the floor of my sinuse and causes alot of cheekbone and head pain.
Does anyone think bad wisdom teeth and severe pain for quite along time has caused my all the symptoms or caused my body to give me anxiety?
I hope to hear back from something soon.

Offline DrN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28/06/2004 23:08:23 »
well, I'm not a dentist (or a medic), but I had a bad case of toothache a couple of years ago, basically a filling cracked over a bank holiday weekend, and by the time a dentist would see me it was infected badly, and i needed antibiotics before he would do anything, which it turned out i was allergic to, so more (different) antibiotics and eventually, a month later, treatment! Hooray! This episode did cause some anxiety i can tell you!

i did feel light-headed, i think the pain is so close to your head that it makes you kind of woozy, plus you're probably tensing your facial muscles more than usual too.
I'm guessing its a bit of a mix, when you get the teeth removed you'll obviously have less pain, and then you'll probably start to relax your muscles, which will probably take care of the 'anxiety' symptoms.

hope it all settles down soon, toothache is definatley not fun. and i hope you don't need a blood transfusion (especially of the wrong blood type!) during the course of your treatment! good luck!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29/06/2004 19:50:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by Karl2004

Hi there
was wondering if someone could give me some advice.
I have been suffering with bad wisdom teeth for about 9 months now, over the last couple of months the pain has got worse and i had a sort of panic attack 4 weeks ago and everyday since then i have felt lightheaded, aches and pains, shaky and very tired all the time, i have had blood tests done by the doctor and they were all clear does this mean that i have nothing physically wrong with me? he thinks i may be suffering from anxiety.
I am having 3 wisdom teeth removed and 3 normal teeth removed, one of my wisdom teeth is so far up it is on the floor of my sinuse and causes alot of cheekbone and head pain.
Does anyone think bad wisdom teeth and severe pain for quite along time has caused my all the symptoms or caused my body to give me anxiety?
I hope to hear back from something soon.

Hi Karl,

Like fishytails I'm also not a dentist or medic but it seems clear to me that your anxiety is caused by your continued teeth problem and probably more by your forthcoming  'extraction'...I am hopeful that once you've recovered the anxiety attacks will subside.

I also have suffered anxiety attacks and occasionally still do....the last one I had was on the Tube (for all non Brits..the Tube is the London Underground)and I had to get off the train for it to subside...I mention it because I also had a medical condition which was playing a lot on my mind and I'm sure the attack was related to my concerns.....in fact I know that most of my panic attacks are self inflicted as they happen during times of stress and worry.....well...for me they do anyway.

Obviously it may still be prudent to seek professional advice, but if your teeth extraction is soon, it may be worth waiting till the deed is done and see if all the symptoms go.

I wish you well......give us an update eh ?

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 29/06/2004 19:50:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums