The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Opinions Needed  (Read 7713 times)

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
Opinions Needed
« Reply #25 on: 20/10/2007 21:33:30 »
Okay guys, the Poison Ivy Shoot is up

http://elegantlywasted.deviantart.com

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
Opinions Needed
« Reply #26 on: 20/10/2007 22:19:17 »
yah thats my bad.... wrong link... haha im a tool :)

http://elegantlywasted84.deviantart.com

i had sent the wrong link to my sister too :)

another_someone

Opinions Needed
« Reply #27 on: 20/10/2007 22:35:02 »
yah thats my bad.... wrong link... haha im a tool :)

http://elegantlywasted84.deviantart.com

i had sent the wrong link to my sister too :)

That makes much more sense - I was desperately trying to work out how the previous site related to you (the self portriat was particularly confusing).

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
Opinions Needed
« Reply #28 on: 20/10/2007 22:48:48 »
yah, last time I checked I wasnt a small Asian girl from San Fransisco.

another_someone

Opinions Needed
« Reply #29 on: 20/10/2007 22:55:42 »
OK, had a quick look.

The original Poison Ivy, and Poison Ivy 5, just about work, but not convinced about the others.

OK, minor details like the white skin where the bra straps were on Poison Ivy 3 are difficult, as is the fact that she really does not open her eyes wide enough (maybe some eye make-up could mitigate this - but others may be better at knowing what can be done about this than I).

Biggest problem is that you seem to have some fairly harsh lighting for what ought to be fairly soft shots.  If you cannot use reflectors, or studio lights, then maybe use mixed on camera flash with natural light to soften the natural light (one of the advantages of Poison Ivy 5 is that it is largely in shadow, so takes some of the edge off the lighting).

The monochrome, in my view, again does not work.  To use monochrome, you are reliant on high contrast and strong shapes and lines.  The other shots make good use of colour, but here you don't even have the colour.  The lips should then be darker (the soft pink may look great in colour, but does nothing in monochrome), but the eye's should not be in shadow (again, mixed on camera flash might have softened this, but would have done nothing about the lips).

Sorry, just my opinion - others may disagree.

another_someone

Opinions Needed
« Reply #30 on: 20/10/2007 22:59:18 »
Looking at them again, maybe what you are trying to achieve is something other than I thought.

I suspect you are trying to be more moody rather than glamorous - but in that case, the shots should not be that intimate and close up.  The close ups would be looking for the eyes, and the eyes are just not strong enough to hold that.

For instance: Poison Ivy2 looks almost fierce, but to complete that, you want to force people to stand back, not to draw people in.

In fact, both of the pictures that I like, Poison Ivy, and Poison Ivy 5, are just a little further back (although they are also a bit softer).

Poison Ivy 4 has the problem that again you are close in, demanding that one look into the eyes of the subject, yet the eyes are hidden by the hair.
« Last Edit: 20/10/2007 23:06:50 by another_someone »

another_someone

Opinions Needed
« Reply #31 on: 20/10/2007 23:09:17 »
I think one of the problems I have, and maybe you have the same thing, is that it is one thing to take a picture of something you see as a detached observer, or to control the inanimate subjects in a picture; but a whole different thing trying to manage people to create the shot you want - not an easy thing to do, and I am hopeless at doing it.

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
Opinions Needed
« Reply #32 on: 20/10/2007 23:26:58 »
I have discovered that I am quite hopeless at directing people as well. This was my first attempt at a photo shoot, and I have discovered that it isnt really something that I am particularily good at. Mainly it was an excuse to try out some crazy photoshop tricks, but I found that the heavy work to the photos didnt do them any justice, so then I decied on a subdued effect.

Its all a learning experience so I'm not two terribly worried about the results.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Opinions Needed
« Reply #32 on: 20/10/2007 23:26:58 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums