The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: At What Age Do We Stop Growing ?  (Read 53222 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
At What Age Do We Stop Growing ?
« on: 21/10/2007 00:05:35 »
Just curious,

What is the average age that humans stop growing ?  (height that is ! )

another_someone

« Reply #1 on: 21/10/2007 00:12:05 »
Just curious,

What is the average age that humans stop growing ?  (height that is ! )

A lot would I imagine depend on diet (aside from the issue of people who stop growing, and then start again).  I know you said 'average' - but diet is something that changes over time and place, and so will change the 'average' for time and place (and not only the diet of the child, but the diet of the mother).

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/10/2007 02:58:38 »
my doctor told me that girls stop growing about a year after their first period. anybody know if that's true?

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 21/10/2007 04:15:11 »
my doctor told me that girls stop growing about a year after their first period. anybody know if that's true?

I'd have thought you could tell me more than I could tell you, but I would not have expected so (as far as I know, periods can start in early teens, but girls will normally grow to late teens - although I think they do stop earlier than boys, after growing faster in earlier years).

It would not surprise me if pregnancy might not stop growth, since that puts quite a drain on a woman's resources - but most girls these days would not expect to get pregnant until long after they have ceased growing.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21/10/2007 04:24:15 »
hmmm. i started when i was ten and stopped growing before i turned eleven. i even ate right then... maybe i was just supposed to be short

another_someone

« Reply #5 on: 21/10/2007 05:32:38 »
hmmm. i started when i was ten and stopped growing before i turned eleven. i even ate right then... maybe i was just supposed to be short

10 sounds plausible for menarche, but 11 does sound very early to stop growing (but as you say, it maybe that your family are short - I know a few girls who are about 6 foot tall, and I doubt they stopped growing at 11).

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #6 on: 21/10/2007 09:05:58 »
I haven't grown since I was about 15 or 16, but I have heard stories (not sure if they are true) of people growing into their early to mid-twenties.

Offline eric l

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21/10/2007 09:15:29 »
This may be related only indirectly to the question, but i was told that bone stops growing at an earlier age than cartilage does; in fact some tell me that cartilage never stops growing, which is why elderly people have longer noses and bigger ears.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21/10/2007 13:02:42 »
Thank you all for your replies but..setting aside variables like diet, culture, etc etc......there must be a generically accepted age when people stop growing....call it age range then....like 16-19 for instance ?

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21/10/2007 15:37:20 »
i heard that men can grow into their twenties. girls definitely stop sooner. i think. lol

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21/10/2007 15:57:28 »
i heard that men can grow into their twenties. girls definitely stop sooner. i think. lol

Thanks Kadie....

The reason why I am asking is because my thirteen year old boy is almost as tall as me...I'm not exactly the tallest guy around..(but i'm not too short either)......I really really want him to be taller than me !...I think he will be as he is a lot slimmer and has definitely inherited my wifes side of the family...and his grandfather is tall and slim.......so...I am hoping he has a few more inches to grow.....because for me...this would be great.....

...always wanted a son I could look up to !!! ;D

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21/10/2007 16:04:45 »
ha ha... i'm pretty sure that my kids, boys or girls, will ALL be taller than me. daddy's 6'4" and i'm 5'1" ... on a good day. with thick soled shoes on...

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21/10/2007 16:07:02 »
so i don't necessarily hope that the kids are that tall, because it's hard to find clothes for people that tall, but i'm pretty sure they'll be taller than me

another_someone

« Reply #13 on: 21/10/2007 16:17:47 »
This may be related only indirectly to the question, but i was told that bone stops growing at an earlier age than cartilage does; in fact some tell me that cartilage never stops growing, which is why elderly people have longer noses and bigger ears.

Yes, certainly cartilage does continue to grow throughout life, which is why your ears and nose keep getting bigger throughout your life (and for many of us, our waistlines also).

another_someone

« Reply #14 on: 21/10/2007 16:21:24 »

Generally women stop sooner than men, but there are never absolutes.

Some very tall men will keep growing into their twenties, but I believe is is uncommon.

One of my friends had a very short growth spurt when she was about 40, but she was then diagnosed with breast cancer soon afterwards, and she is not sure if the two are related issues (she is now free of cancer).

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21/10/2007 16:37:00 »

Generally women stop sooner than men, but there are never absolutes.

Some very tall men will keep growing into their twenties, but I believe is is uncommon.

One of my friends had a very short growth spurt when she was about 40, but she was then diagnosed with breast cancer soon afterwards, and she is not sure if the two are related issues (she is now free of cancer).

This I find more truth in. girls are generally done growing by 18 but most boys will grow into their early 20"s some of them quite a lot!  I have seen a 5ft 6 boy of 18 spurt into a whopping 6"9 by the time he reached 22 years old.. He really had some painful growing happening during that period.. We were all shocked and thought there was really something wrong!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21/10/2007 16:38:04 »
BTW He stopped growing Is a great wonderful Basketball player and coach! LOL

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: 21/10/2007 18:25:42 »
Neil I'll let you know when I stop growing. LoL. Some how the doctor said I was going to be over 6 foot. Idk how they figured that out with my dad being like 5 10 and mom being 5 4. I'm about 5 9 right now. But i'll let you know.

And Kayla like 14 and 1/3 years old and she is done growing.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21/10/2007 18:32:44 »
Neil I'll let you know when I stop growing. LoL. Some how the doctor said I was going to be over 6 foot. Idk how they figured that out with my dad being like 5 10 and mom being 5 4. I'm about 5 9 right now. But i'll let you know.

And Kayla like 14 and 1/3 years old and she is done growing.

THANKS RYAN,

There IS in fact a pretty reliable formula which ewe apply at a certain age to get a fairly determined result.....I can't remember it of course !!

But knowing that ewe will let me know when ewe stop growing really helps !! ;)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21/10/2007 18:33:36 »
You take a measurement at age 2 years approximately and triple it and that is an estimate of your end height!

so if you are 2 ft 2 inches tall at 2 years old your guestimate would be approximately 6ft 7 and 1/2 inches tall, in the end.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21/10/2007 18:34:34 »
Your height at 2 years old x 3
« Last Edit: 21/10/2007 18:38:27 by Karen W. »

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: 21/10/2007 18:37:32 »
Holy Moolly lol. That's crazy lol.

and yeah kayla's just as tall as I am to had to my other post

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21/10/2007 18:39:04 »
What??????? LOL

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21/10/2007 18:51:52 »
You take a measurement at age 2 years approximately and triple it and that is an estimate of your end height!

so if you are 2 ft 2 inches tall at 2 years old your guestimate would be approximately 6ft 7 and 1/2 inches tall, in the end.

I think you're supposed to double their height.  Nic was 36" at 2, so he should be 6'.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21/10/2007 19:29:11 »
I think you are right.. I think it was doubled, cause Sarah was 2ft 10 inches and doc said between 5ft7 and 6 ft, She is 5ft 8 inches maybe 8 and 1/2..

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 21/10/2007 19:29:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums