The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What Makes The Small Toe Nail On My Left Foot So Chunky ?  (Read 23556 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dear Extremity All Knowing Nadir Related Feet Experts,

The small toenail on my left foot has for many years now been the thickest toenail on my feet !!....I am referring to the ' wall ' height .

Why is this ?....could it have been due to some toenail trauma that I have forgotten ?

Please note this is NOT an accurate representation of my toenail......I'd have to clean off the nail varnish first !! :)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
What Makes The Small Toe Nail On My Left Foot So Chunky ?
« Reply #1 on: 21/10/2007 15:39:16 »
Dear Kind sir..
As you mentioned there are many toe injuries which can cause the toe to do that. Having your toe crushed pretty hard stomped on etc. Also There are some fungus's that can cause this also. There are products out there that you can brush on to the toe like a nail polish which will address the problem if it is a fungal thing. If those do not work, A podiatrist can remove the nail and treat it and if all goes well it can it will grow back normally! My Mother in laws toe nail did that after a lady accidentally stepped on it at the mall. Hers got so thick that it became a problem in her shoes. It was harder to deal with later as she let it grow for several years!
« Last Edit: 21/10/2007 16:06:48 by Karen W. »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/10/2007 15:53:05 »
Thanks Karen,

With my hygiene (or lack of !)it probably IS fungal....in fact...my toenail is probably developing it's own intelligence as I write this !! ;)

Seriously though....there has never been any indication of fungal infestation....I actually have pretty good feet  !! *smug mode*...I think you hit the ' nail ' on the head when you suggest I must have crushed it or banged it.....I have pranged it a few times........it's not even a problem......I just wondered why and am grateful for your kind response.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/10/2007 15:55:24 »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21/10/2007 15:59:44 »
Ewe really do have this diagram think licked don't cha ?

Nope....I never really notice it at all....only if it gets too long and starts catching on my stockings ?......I hate ' laddering ' those things !! ;)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21/10/2007 16:05:33 »
When they get smashed like that no matter how clean your hygiene, you can develop a fungus under the nail! Where it was smashed will tend to loosen the nail from its normal position allowing the tiniest little fungus to start a parade on your nail thus causing the thick growth from then on until you treat it! It can be in your bloodstream.. as I recall! Try something called Lamisil it comes in cream for toe and also an oral pill as I recall! It works really good and you can get it from doctor to treat it from the inside out as the fungus is not your typical outer foot fungi.. It is in the foot inside the toe where the growth comes from.. A doctor can better explain.. I an going from memory from a long time back!

LOL... Yes I just like to play with it, ( The diagram tool That is!) and your foot seemed to be a good subject! LOL

Neily, What does laddering them mean.. I have never heard the term.. ??? does it mean trimming or cutting them???
« Last Edit: 21/10/2007 16:10:53 by Karen W. »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21/10/2007 17:12:01 »
"laddering" stockings is when ewe catch them and cause a ' wound '

.....so...are ewe saying that I could have had a fungal infection for all these years ?....at least 15 years ?.......and it's in my bloodstream ?.....oh my !!

Is this why I dream of mushrooms all the time ?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21/10/2007 17:28:04 »
"laddering" stockings is when ewe catch them and cause a ' wound '

.....so...are ewe saying that I could have had a fungal infection for all these years ?....at least 15 years ?.......and it's in my bloodstream ?.....oh my !!

Is this why I dream of mushrooms all the time ?

Thanks for that!

I am saying that you could get an infection inside that CAN be treated with a product LIKE the pill form of LAMISIL!

Don't panic I hear it is something that can happen easily.. Yours may be just simply a injury without fungus.. You would have to try the nail stuff first and if it did not thin the nail back down over a couple months then I would suggest a podiatrist take a look!..No biggie Neily!

I think You dream of mushrooms cause you really are a little Gnome in disguise!!!! LOL!

Offline SquarishTriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12/11/2007 14:24:03 »
Speaking of funny toenails:
Both of my forth toes (from the middle) have moderately rounded/convex nails(sort of cap-like). Same thing in my brother and mother, but not my father...
Apparently I was 'misplaced' in the hospital when I was born, and later only identified by the 2 odd nails. Hmm...

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13/11/2007 02:25:59 »
UH OHHHHHHH good thing its in the genes! Never know where you could have ended up!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 13/11/2007 02:25:59 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums