The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: The science behind... the keg stand  (Read 28699 times)

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
The science behind... the keg stand
« on: 22/10/2007 18:25:13 »
A discussion came up over the weekend with some friends after we attended a party so I'm going to take a page from Neil's format of questions:

This is a keg stand

Is there any benefit to doing a keg stand? Does drinking alcohol upside down increase ones chances of geetting drunker? Or is it just a fun party activity?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22/10/2007 19:45:49 »
My theory is that if you are prepared to try that you are well on the way to being drunk anyway. I can't see how the being upside down bit makes any difference at all, other than you may be more likely to throw it up.

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #2 on: 22/10/2007 19:51:48 »
That was my opinion. Alot of people tried to argue the carbonation bubbles to the head thing, but I don't see any merit in that arguement.

Offline BioChemSFC

• View Profile
Re: The science behind... the keg stand
« Reply #3 on: 18/10/2012 00:15:38 »
When you do a keg stand you don't open you mouth and as anyone who has poured a keg it comes out with a lot of carbonation. I think it does make you feel it very fast but two things probably contribute to this: 1. you are intentionally drinking a lot at once. 2. you are drinking a lot of CO2 foam. Even when you pour it from keg to cup and cup to mouth you lose a lot of CO2. Since CO2 is proven to increase uptake, this would explain the difference. Snap. 

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: The science behind... the keg stand
« Reply #3 on: 18/10/2012 00:15:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums