The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are spices harmful to the body?  (Read 5710 times)

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
Are spices harmful to the body?
« on: 01/07/2004 00:54:43 »
many ppls cant eat spicy food they get their GIT problems why and is there any harmful effect of spices.
« Last Edit: 03/07/2004 04:08:25 by Exodus »

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
Re: Are spices harmful to the body?
« Reply #1 on: 03/07/2004 04:07:52 »
I often regret eating a particularly hot curry the day after but unsure if it actually does any damage. It might be feasable to do a study comparing people who eat a fairly simple diet and others who eat lots of curry and look at intestinal problem occurences...

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/07/2004 15:53:35 »
well as far as i know about spice is that it is not very harmful but havind too much chilis will cause peptic ulcer.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/07/2004 17:56:29 »
...I'm sure people who eat currys all the time seem to be quite healthy, after all our Indian and pakistani friends (amongst others) seem to cope very well indeed, though I realise that all dishes are not particularly strong but I would have thought that apart from the odd tummy upset I agree that it can't really do any harm at all.

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline DrN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/07/2004 19:53:35 »
turmeric is supposed to protect against cancer, so it can't be all bad. although apparently to get the medicinal effect from eating curry, you would end up so obese that you'd probably die long before any cancer appeared!

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/07/2004 23:17:21 »
no i am asking you this question because once one of my friend who is from Norway ate the Pakistani food the curry with some chili so he started dihrrea so what i think is that spice may cause such GIT problems or not ya chili do cause ulcer but what about the spices.

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04/07/2004 06:41:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by qazibasit

no i am asking you this question because once one of my friend who is from Norway ate the Pakistani food the curry with some chili so he started dihrrea so what i think is that spice may cause such GIT problems or not ya chili do cause ulcer but what about the spices.

its probably bacterial, i watched a programme concerning indian restaurants in London and was shocked at the disgusting levels of cleanliness. They had oil everwhere, rats outside and even recycled peoples uneaten curry for other people! Its bacterial heaven, i reckon he probably caught a dose!

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04/07/2004 10:25:52 »
ha ha ha ha maybe this is the reason.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #8 on: 05/07/2004 02:13:44 »
It is almost certainly due to pathogens in the food. India, Nepal and Pakistan are notorious traveller's diarrhoea hot spots. Locals benefit from the protection afforded by the spectrum of 'good bacteria' colonising their guts, which are adapted to help outcompete pathogens. Visitors have no such protection (at least initially) and hence succumb much more readily.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx
« Last Edit: 05/07/2004 02:14:35 by chris »

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05/07/2004 21:35:23 »
but i dont think it is due to pathogens ya you are right but diarrhoea goes on for about 3-4 days.

Offline DrN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07/07/2004 13:08:41 »
I heard that british indian food has way too much oil in it, and some people are very sensitive to oily foods - I'm one of them, it does cause diarhoea I'm afraid! so maybe its the oiliness and not the spicyness? I can't think of too many other foods that cause the same reaction in me, apart from fish and chips that were dripping in grease from a shop that I no longer frequent!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 07/07/2004 13:08:41 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums