The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning Tomorrow ?  (Read 7504 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
What If The Earth Stopped Spinning Tomorrow ?
« on: 23/10/2007 18:53:25 »
This is the Earth drawn to scale in rotation speed and size  ;)

Should the Earth suddenly stop spinning  (hypothetically) what would be the consequences meteorologicaly ?...atmospherically ?....any thing else'lly !!

What about planes in flight ?......could we live on a still earth ?

Thanks

neil

Online Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 23/10/2007 19:12:15 »
"drawn to scale in rotation speed and size  "
In the sense that it turns once a day or that the tangential speed at the equator is about 1000mph or sopme other way?
Many of us would probaly get squashed by the huge pair of opliers needed to get a decent grip in order to stop it. Those of us near the poles might be OK but those nearer the equator would be in trouble because they would suddenly be moving wrt the earth's surface. So would their houses which would therefore fall down.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/10/2007 19:14:58 »
You know when one rides the graviton it spins so they do not buckle you in or anything! You stand against a wall and the thing begins to spin. Then your body is held back by the spinning which I think acts like gravity or something to keep you upright against the wall. I think it causes pressure against your body pushing you closer to the solid surface Kind of what I would think a tornado would do.. spinning so fast that the wind it created would blow everything in its path away, difference inside the graviton would be the solid walls...stopping the wind.

So maybe if the earth stopped turning it would cause the reactions of other planets to fall toward it without protection.. perhaps the spinning helps maintain distance and penetration or collision with other astrological planets or space debris etc. I don't know though just trying to imagine what it does..

You asked a cool question I would like to hear an accurate cool answer!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23/10/2007 19:15:54 »
"drawn to scale in rotation speed and size  "
In the sense that it turns once a day or that the tangential speed at the equator is about 1000mph or sopme other way?
Many of us would probaly get squashed by the huge pair of opliers needed to get a decent grip in order to stop it. Those of us near the poles might be OK but those nearer the equator would be in trouble because they would suddenly be moving wrt the earth's surface. So would their houses which would therefore fall down.

THANKS BC,

I was specifically thinking about things above ground, in flight, certainly I can imagine a few tidal waves too at ground level.....of immense size !

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23/10/2007 19:54:04 »
It is recorded in the Bible (so it must be true) that it once stopped so that Joshua could get on with a battle.
Apparently there were no ill effects and it started up again on its own.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23/10/2007 20:11:21 »
It is recorded in the Bible (so it must be true) that it once stopped so that Joshua could get on with a battle.
Apparently there were no ill effects and it started up again on its own.

Well.......I'm convinced !!

The Earths rotation must have really been an inconvenience in those days !!

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #6 on: 23/10/2007 23:11:24 »
Should the Earth suddenly stop spinning  (hypothetically) what would be the consequences meteorologicaly ?...atmospherically ?....any thing else'lly !!

What about planes in flight ?......could we live on a still earth ?[/b]

Well, if we look beyond the instant it stopped, half of the planet would be plunged into permanent darkness, and half into permanent daylight. (or maybe one "day" per year, depending on how you define "stop")
Growing food in the dark will be tricky - it'll also get cold (shivers)
T'other side will get quite warm. I guess all the winds would begin to circulate to blow towards (at ground-level) the hottest spot on the equator which is facing the sun directly.

The people on the dark side would lose their satellite TV after a few days as the satellites wouldn't get any sunlight on their solar panels. In fact, you couldn't have geostationary satellites with a stationary earth - they'd either have to orbit or they'd fall out of the sky. So we'd all need servo-controlled tracking satellite dishes...

...?

I think it's a good thing that the earth spins  ;D
« Last Edit: 23/10/2007 23:14:57 by techmind »

lyner

« Reply #7 on: 23/10/2007 23:22:13 »
The people on the dark side would lose their satellite TV after a few days as the satellites wouldn't get any sunlight on their solar panels. In fact, you couldn't have geostationary satellites with a stationary earth - they'd either have to orbit or they'd fall out of the sky. So we'd all need servo-controlled tracking satellite dishes...
I'm glad to see we've homed in on the most vital of the effects it would have on our lives first!
My contribution:
You'd have to go half way round the world to get a good night's sleep.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #8 on: 24/10/2007 21:18:12 »
Would it remain stopped ,wouldnt it start to turn very slowly again as it robbed rotational energy from the moon through tidal effects..

lyner

« Reply #9 on: 25/10/2007 15:57:40 »
I guess so.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25/10/2007 16:28:00 »
Is the Earth to stop turning relative to the Sun or to the stars ?
If the later we would still get night and day but the days would be very long 
« Last Edit: 25/10/2007 16:30:04 by syhprum »

Offline stana

• Dare to be yourself!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25/10/2007 19:32:49 »
Whatever season were in we would be in it forever..Take that as a good thing or bad thing. Id sure love for it to be chirtsmas everyday but hey! I want to go in the swimming pool when its nice and hot.

lyner

« Reply #12 on: 30/10/2007 16:08:34 »
Whatever season were in we would be in it forever.
If we just stopped turning relative to the stars, we'd have a day lasting one year! The idea of a season is a bit more hard to think of. All you could say is that the polar regions would be colder. or hotter.

« Last Edit: 01/11/2007 22:04:21 by sophiecentaur »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12 on: 30/10/2007 16:08:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums