The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: safety measures to prevent from radioactivity  (Read 9931 times)

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
safety measures to prevent from radioactivity
« on: 01/07/2004 10:19:52 »
how to prevent ourselves from the radioactivity in our homes i mean if we want to do some experiment on radioactive elements at home how can we protect ourself from radiations.

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/Trunko
Re: safety measures to prevent from radioactivity
« Reply #1 on: 01/07/2004 22:34:55 »
Well, alpha radiation can be stopped by something as thin as paper, and beta radiation can be stopped by a sheet of aluminum, but gamma radiation requires about a foot of lead or concrete to stop. Radiation experiments dealing with gamma rays can be hazardous, so I wouldn't recommend do such things in the home. However, you may be able to purchase radiation-proof hazmat suits or radiation-proof containers from a chemistry catalog.

I invite you to join the new discussion board DBZ Universal! There, you can talk about anime, DBZ, and for you lovers of the unexplained, the paranormal as well. The board contains 24 forums, but you can't see then all until you join up. We need more members, so come on down!

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/07/2004 00:09:39 »
ya its too funny man but thanks i am not intrested in games.

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #3 on: 03/07/2004 21:09:32 »
And do NOT shield high energy beta emitters with lead.  You will be worse off than if you worked with it unshielded.  (Bremstrallung effect causes xray emission as the large lead atoms soak up the beta emissions)

I don't recommend doing radioactivity experiments in your home.  Not only are you at risk while working with it in environments that aren't properly shielded, but the risk of contaminating your home, neighborhood, and water supply are all very high.

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04/07/2004 01:01:57 »
well cannabinoid i found a way to make a  steam generator with some radioactive elements so i am afraid that the radiation may cause too much trouble so is there any way i can do my experiment. what do you think.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04/07/2004 02:48:26 »
Forgive my ignorance here (and please educate me accordingly)...but why on earth would you want to do experiments at home , with radioactive materials/elements to the degree where you have to take precautions to protect yourself from harmful radiation ?...........To me....that sounds crazy !!....but as I said please educate me, perhaps performing experiments in your home with potentially dangerous radiocative materials/elements is just a happy everyday hobby that lots of people just love to do !!!!

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04/07/2004 07:17:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

Forgive my ignorance here (and please educate me accordingly)...but why on earth would you want to do experiments at home , with radioactive materials/elements to the degree where you have to take precautions to protect yourself from harmful radiation ?...........To me....that sounds crazy !!....but as I said please educate me, perhaps performing experiments in your home with potentially dangerous radiocative materials/elements is just a happy everyday hobby that lots of people just love to do !!!!

did you know that your smoke alarm (which i hope you have!) is slightly radioactive!!!?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04/07/2004 13:18:10 »
Yes I was aware of that Rich and thanks for reminding me, and I understand the average home is filled with a few radiocative bits and bobs, The television I think is one (please correct me if I'm wrong), and of course the luminous watch and clock faces, and all the stars I have on my ceiling etc etc.....and then the wifeys cooking !!!

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #8 on: 05/07/2004 01:53:33 »
Neil - those glow in the dark things (stars, watch dials etc) are not radioactive. Historically they were - in fact I think the American kid who built his own plutonium reactor in his garden shed a few years ago used old clock faces and hands as a radioactive source. These days alternative substances are used...but I won't say what they are because that might make a good question of the week next week...

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05/07/2004 02:55:21 »
This place, is a place of learning, I consider myself educated quite a few times every day due to this site.....thanks Chris.

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06/07/2004 02:02:03 »
What worries me is why people are talking of doing radioactive experiments at home... isn't that a bit crazy?

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21/07/2004 04:10:11 »
Yes, you need to have your head examined if you are contemplating radioactive experiments in your home. I live just a few miles from Lansdowne, Pennsylvania, where a radioactive house is located. You can read about it here: http://www.epa.gov/reg3hwmd/npl/PAD980830921.htm

Not everything about this house is in the EPA file. I can add that not only were residents of the house affected by this stupidity, but the entire community. Health, welfare, and property values in Lansdowne have been permanently lowered.

Radioactivity has a history of escaping and going where it shouldn't. All the early experimenters with radioactivity were killed by it. The thousands of atomic tests conducted by governments around the world have left a legacy of radiation victims. During the cleanup of the Three-Mile Island reactor, the crews nicknamed two new, radioactive elements, Disappearium, and Reappearium, because so many cleaned-up areas became re-contaminated.

I don't know if this poster, qazibasit, is serious, or just trolling, but to everybody reading these words, take heed: Don't fool around with radioactivity in yoour home!

P.S. That includes your smoke detector.

Offline qpan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05/08/2004 11:29:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by chris

Neil - those glow in the dark things (stars, watch dials etc) are not radioactive. Historically they were - in fact I think the American kid who built his own plutonium reactor in his garden shed a few years ago used old clock faces and hands as a radioactive source.

All military compasses, etc have radioactive glow in the dark bits. They don't need previous exposure to light to glow and can apparently glow for thousands (or is it hundreds?) of years.

I'm not sure whether its crept into anyone else's mind, but why is qazibit messing around with radioactivity? Its just the words "dirty bomb" pop to mind when combining radioactivity and the middle east.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."
-Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Dan75

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16/10/2004 15:12:17 »
Life in the fast-lane

DANIELJAMESMARGIS

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 16/10/2004 15:12:17 »