The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: what's the difference between the cold, and influenza?  (Read 7741 times)

paul.fr

with winter about to hit us with a big stick, i pose the question. what's the difference between the cold, and influenza?

i know that "men" only get the flu, never a cold, but what else is different?

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
what's the difference between the cold, and influenza?
« Reply #1 on: 25/10/2007 22:57:53 »
Influenza, an infectious disease, is a much more severe condition and is caused by a different type of virus (RNA viruses of the family Orthomyxoviridae )than the common cold, although the two are often confused.
Vaccinations are available and are continually updated. Antiviral drugs can be used to treat influenza, with neuraminidase inhibitors being particularly effective

The common cold is an acute viral nasopharyngitis, or acute coryza is a highly contagious, viral infectious disease of the upper respiratory system, primarily caused by picornaviruses or coronaviruses.
No vaccines are available. Available drugs treat symptoms only.

~~~~~~ Stay warm, keep your immune system in good shape and wash hands often  ;D

Offline TonyCap

• Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying
    • View Profile
    • Health Ninjas
« Reply #2 on: 18/11/2007 07:52:25 »
Colds are minor infections that can be caused by one of over 300 types of viruses. Rhinoviruses are the most common. Colds typically last for one week, but may linger in children. Cold season runs from about September until March or April.

Cold symptoms tend to come on much more slowly than flu symptoms. These symptoms can include, but are not limited to:

Runny nose
Congestion
Sneezing
Reduced sense of taste and smell
Scratchy throat
Cough

Flu symptoms usually come on suddenly and include:

a high fever (102-104 degrees Fahrenheit), which may last 3-4 days
a bad headache
severe general body aches and pains
fatigue and weakness, which may last for 2-3 weeks
extreme exhaustion

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/11/2007 08:04:50 »
One thing I do know is that I get agitated (only slightly though) when people keep telling me "I've had the flu"..or " I've got the flu" when in reality they've had just a bad cold for a a couple of days.

If they've really had the flu they would really know about it !!....and I have had the flu !!

It's the same when people say they've had a migraine when it's only been  a bad headache !!...the propensity to exaggerate ones illnesses does make me wonder sometimes.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18/11/2007 08:50:06 »
BOy That is the truth if you have had a migraine you will no the difference for sure between the two... BIG FREAKING difference!!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 18/11/2007 08:50:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums