The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can Having Too Much Sleep Make You Feel Awful ?  (Read 3971 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Can Having Too Much Sleep Make You Feel Awful ?
« on: 24/10/2007 21:10:18 »
Dear Sleepers,

See this man ?...shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!

He's asleep !!..*whispering sheep*............I can tell you...it was not easy to break into his house in the middle of the night and take this photo !!

I have heard...that if you have too much sleep it can make you feel quite awful !!..is this true ?....if so...why so ?

...and why would someone sleep too long anyway ?

..as a supplemental...what is the longest period you have slept ?

night night...hope the bed bugs don't bite !!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 24/10/2007 22:39:29 »
YES!!! It's true.  You would think that after a long stretch of sleep you would wake up feeling refreshed, but that's not the case. 

I've had several stretches where I've slept 12 hours at a time.  The longest was about 18 hours when I fell asleep at around 6 pm and woke up briefly at about 3am.  I took a sleeping pill so I could sleep through the night and didn't wake up till noon the next day.

This happens to me when I have bouts of insomnia and I've gone several days with no more than a few hours sleep at night.  You wake up feeling horrible.  Groggy, lethargic and extremely moody.  I HATE sleeping like that.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25/10/2007 03:16:10 »
It depends - I sometimes feel ok after a long 12-16 hour sleep period.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25/10/2007 03:34:44 »
if i sleep for more than nine hours i feel terrible

lyner

« Reply #4 on: 25/10/2007 14:22:44 »
I just feel terribly guilty.
All those jobs to do. . . .

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
« Reply #5 on: 25/10/2007 23:06:24 »
Definitely!

Sometimes, when I oversleep (though it hardly ever happens anymore....if you have that problem, try having kids!) say an extra 4 hours I wake up with a really nasty headache.

I put it down to caffeine withdrawal as by that time I would have had at least 2 large cups of tea or a coffee
.... but I might be wrong in that hypothesis...

JimBob are you sure you're not attempting to hybernate??

;)

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25/10/2007 23:26:47 »
Many studies have identified flat bedrest as anything but safe. In moderation we can survive its effects but it is easy to OD on sleep. Take a perosn with parkinson's disease for instance, throughout the day gradually improving after waking paralysed, sits up recovers a little legs moved to hang down from the bed recovers more stands up with help and gradually begins to finction a little better. Time for bed again just as the body was recovering from the last dose of flat bed syndrome our PD sufferer makes the same mistake and climbs back into the pit that is complicating the condition. And the more sleep they get the more tired and the more paralysed they become.

Odd, you would have thought by now someone might be shouting out that perhaps flat bedrest might not be all it is cut out to be?

Multiple sclerosis follows simmilar patterns. What about sudden infant death syndrome? What about that hang over? migrains? Snoring? fibrilation? Heart missing a few beats? waking up with a puffed up face and eyes? legs and hands swollen in the morning? Damn there goes that flat bed syndrome again.

NASA thinks that flat bedrest is great for mimicking the rapid age related problems that healthy astronauts experience from day one in space. There you go weve found a use for it after all.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26/10/2007 10:30:51 »
16 and 18 hours two times since I was fitted with my cpap machine and I felt worthless all day and the next day! I felt as though someone had drug me through a knothole! It was awful! Too much makes me more tired then I was to begin with and really reeks havoc with my next nights sleep!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 26/10/2007 10:30:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums