The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Hows the weather there?  (Read 157024 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Hows the weather there?
« Reply #450 on: 30/07/2008 05:30:27 »
Yikes that is hot!

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Hows the weather there?
« Reply #451 on: 01/08/2008 02:50:46 »
Weather was REALLY great this time on vacation! Coudln't ask for anything better, maybe just a few more clouds. Ha

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Hows the weather there?
« Reply #452 on: 22/08/2008 04:49:53 »
Very windy and about to get very wet.  We're under flood warnings as Tropical Storm Fay is expected to cross Florida this evening and go back into the Gulf and by tomorrow evening hit us directly.  Schools have been cancelled for tomorrow.  We saw one report that said once it hits the Gulf that it may strengthen and turn into a category 1 hurricane, but haven't seen any other reports to that affect.  Crossing my fingers and toes that it doesn't although the waterspouts, tornados and flooding that come with tropical storms are pretty bad.

Wish this stupid storm would just fizzle and die already! [:(!]

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Hows the weather there?
« Reply #453 on: 22/08/2008 16:18:45 »
I saw that, took a crazy turn. Hopefully everything will be okay!

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Hows the weather there?
« Reply #454 on: 22/08/2008 18:11:50 »
Yes Ryan I agree that the Tropical Storm Fay fizzles out where
Carolyn lives. Before the end of Friday.

Offline turnipsock

• Beekeeper to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
Hows the weather there?
« Reply #455 on: 22/08/2008 22:16:08 »

We have had a bit of rain, the garden was needing it as it doesn't rain much in Scotland in the summer. Spare a thought for the idiot that took that picture, he was in about 8" of water.

That reminds me, I need some new door seals.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Hows the weather there?
« Reply #456 on: 22/08/2008 23:06:39 »

We have had a bit of rain, the garden was needing it as it doesn't rain much in Scotland in the summer. Spare a thought for the idiot that took that picture, he was in about 8" of water.

That reminds me, I need some new door seals.

Looks somewhat like my place at this moment - over 1/2" rain in the rain gauge in the past hour.

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Hows the weather there?
« Reply #457 on: 23/08/2008 00:13:23 »
It is pretty damp in London as most of the Uk this summer I think. That is if the forecasters are right.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Hows the weather there?
« Reply #458 on: 23/08/2008 23:52:09 »
Its been an overcast hot day today and the sun finally is out and it is very warm!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Hows the weather there?
« Reply #459 on: 24/08/2008 04:25:51 »
The weather here wasn't as bad as expected.  We were under flash flood warnings today, were supposed to get 5 inches per hour for 3 - 4 hours, but it didn't happen, only moderate wind and rains.  It was nasty last night, had a tree limb ggo through hubbys truck window, but fortunately that was the worst of it.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Hows the weather there?
« Reply #460 on: 24/08/2008 05:12:35 »
Glad you were all ok! Sorry about the truck window! will insurance cover natural disaster kind of things?

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Hows the weather there?
« Reply #461 on: 24/08/2008 05:27:26 »
Thanks Karen.

I'm sure our insurance will cover it, but we have a high deductible, so it will be cheaper to pay for it out of pocket.   LOL......it's his old work truck.  The window probably costs more than the trucks worth.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Hows the weather there?
« Reply #462 on: 24/08/2008 05:35:30 »
Don't you hate that? How are you feeling with all the storming? Are you OK?

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Hows the weather there?
« Reply #463 on: 24/08/2008 05:46:38 »
LOL...yep, I do hate it!

I'm ok.  Trying to recover from having walking pneumonia, and having lots of lovely fibro pain, I'm assuming from the rain, but I'm ok.  Thanks for asking.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Hows the weather there?
« Reply #464 on: 24/08/2008 05:59:49 »
I am glad you are OK.. Please be careful with that Pneumoniae, that is one of the bacteria's commonly found in walking pneumoniae that I have  hand in hand with another.. real butt kickers! Sorry for your pain.. I hope the rain stops for you to get a break.. My leaves on my Catalpa are starting to slightly change color I believe we are in for early winter this year!

paul.fr

Hows the weather there?
« Reply #465 on: 30/08/2008 12:28:55 »
Very windy and about to get very wet.  We're under flood warnings as Tropical Storm Fay is expected to cross Florida this evening and go back into the Gulf and by tomorrow evening hit us directly.  Schools have been cancelled for tomorrow.  We saw one report that said once it hits the Gulf that it may strengthen and turn into a category 1 hurricane, but haven't seen any other reports to that affect.  Crossing my fingers and toes that it doesn't although the waterspouts, tornados and flooding that come with tropical storms are pretty bad.

Did you know that when Fay was over the everglades she became the first (recorded) tropical storm to gain strength?

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Hows the weather there?
« Reply #466 on: 30/08/2008 12:33:06 »
Did you know that when Fay was over the everglades she became the first (recorded) tropical storm to gain strength?
[/quote]

Paul why do Tropical Storms have male names and hurricanes have female ones? I have never had to live with that type of storm

paul.fr

Hows the weather there?
« Reply #467 on: 30/08/2008 12:51:38 »

Paul why do Tropical Storms have male names and hurricanes have female ones? I have never had to live with that type of storm

The first tropical cyclone was named by an Australian after a politician that he did not like, then during the second world war they were given the names of the wives / girlfriends of the navys meteorological staff. Then in the early 50's they were named phonetically, then by only womens names all the way up to 1979 when they were named after both men and women.

Saying that, different regions have different ways of naming their storms.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Hows the weather there?
« Reply #468 on: 30/08/2008 13:40:30 »
Paul your explanation makes loads of sense and it's interesting as well.

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Hows the weather there?
« Reply #469 on: 30/08/2008 16:30:16 »

I'm not sure what you mean Paul.  I'm sure I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.  How can it be the first recorded tropical storm to gain strength?

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Hows the weather there?
« Reply #470 on: 30/08/2008 16:46:52 »
Today our weather is nice and sunny.

I'm sick and tired of hurricane season!  Normally, I'm not one to worry or stress over it, and I detest the people that are continually predicting and spouting doom and gloom, but Hurricane Gustav really has me worried.  We are thankfully out it it's projected path, though that changes daily.  It's now a category 3 and according to The Weather Channel, it's predicted to become a category 4 hurricane.

If it hits anywhere closer than Louisianna we will still be severely affected.

paul.fr

Hows the weather there?
« Reply #471 on: 30/08/2008 17:17:53 »

I'm not sure what you mean Paul.  I'm sure I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.  How can it be the first recorded tropical storm to gain strength?

Hey, if i made sense more than once a day there would be a cosmic event of catastrophic proportions!

I mean, Fay was the only recorded TS to gain strength over land. Typically, due to the friction and the looss of the storms heat engine (water/ocean) they slow down, but Fay actually gained strength, not much, but gain it did.

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Hows the weather there?
« Reply #472 on: 30/08/2008 17:31:38 »

Hey, if i made sense more than once a day there would be a cosmic event of catastrophic proportions!

I mean, Fay was the only recorded TS to gain strength over land. Typically, due to the friction and the looss of the storms heat engine (water/ocean) they slow down, but Fay actually gained strength, not much, but gain it did.

Duh!  Sorry, had a major blonde moment!  I don't know what I was thinking!  I do recall heariing something about that on the news now that you mention it.

Offline AllenG

• View Profile
Hows the weather there?
« Reply #473 on: 30/08/2008 18:29:48 »
One of Fay's squall lines when it passed over us in St. Simons.

Glad we are going to have nothing to do with Gustav.
Good luck Carolyn. Here is to it missing you.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
Hows the weather there?
« Reply #474 on: 30/08/2008 21:21:15 »
Well today in England we finally had a summers day. The family have been dining with Mr Al Fresco tonight and very good company he was. Freddy has been swimming in our pond, clearing some free water for the dragon and damsel flies of which I am a big fan and have designed my garden around. He was very pleased as one large green dragonfly went right up to his face and looked him right in the eye. Fred said that he was saying thankyou.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Hows the weather there?
« Reply #474 on: 30/08/2008 21:21:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums